Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55884 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »

Dear Everyone Else: You're posting so fast that it's impossible to post anything. >_> [Click submit, a new post! *read it* Click submit, 4 new posts! *read them* Click submit, a new post!]

I'm still not going to buy it, but it still sounds better than Splinter Cell: Conviction (on Impulse, even):

*A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.splintercell.com/conviction/

Seeing that on Impulse made me think "What the hell, Impulse? I thought you didn't do/allow onerous copy protection?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »

And the fact remains the majority have a constant internet connection so it makes jack all difference.
That is like saying it doesn't matter if I require everyone who wants a car to have an internet connection. Most people have one, so what is the problem?! Just find a connection! :P

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:15 pm »

No it's not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »

Seeing that on Impulse made me think "What the hell, Impulse? I thought you didn't do/allow onerous copy protection?"

You know Stardock sold it to Gamestop about 4 months ago right? Gamestop has no qualms about onerous copy protection.

As for the rest, any bets on how many more times Briggsy16 has to repeat the "don't like it, don't buy it" like it's a convincing argument?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »

No it's not.
Oh okay. Good counter argument. You win one internets, please see yourself to the exit. You are winnar expert debate man.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2011, 01:00:55 pm »

Show me where I've said don't like it, don't buy it?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »

No it's not.
How eloquent!

Oh wait no you need to explain your points in a argument.

Oh okay. Good counter argument. You win one internets, please see yourself to the exit. You are winnar expert debate man.

FUCKING NINJAS MAN
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »

You made a completely irrelevant point. Why on earth would I reply to something like that? All these awful 'examples' you keep coming out with are pointless.

I dunno how many more times I need to state that I admit it is a problem for people with irregular internet.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »

I dunno how many more times I need to state that I admit it is a problem for people with irregular internet.

Okay, so it only hurts people without reliable internet (Lets just forget examples of people with reliable internet not being able to connect because you already have). What does it bring to the table for people with it?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2011, 01:05:40 pm »

Don't play it, it doesn't bother me it's just a pathetic reason to not play a game.

You've been carrying that attitude on your shoulder for a bit now. Which as more to do with why people are arguing with you than anything. (Well, other than the smug one-liners.)

Try to tell your inner fan boi to chill out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:37 pm »

I find it hilarious that one small feature 'kills all appeal of the game'. How pathetic.

I'm not the one that said that the always-online killed it for me, but I am one of the people that dislikes it quite a bit. And no, it's not the only reason I'm not super excited about getting the game.

In general I don't like the direction they've been taking it. It's much more arcade now.
  You get health and mana just by running over glowing orbs.
  Your character no longer really has any development, since you can swap out pretty much everything whenever you want.
  The focus is even more on "How many hundreds of small enemies can you kill per minute? Let's find out!!". The gothic feel of the original game is pretty much gone completely.

Now, they've added in this 'always-online' bit. Why do I dislike that? After all, I've got a good reliable connection at home.
  Well, for one, I play games on my laptop pretty often. I'm not always somewhere with a decent internet connection at all when I'm on my laptop. So, no playing this game for me whenever I'm somewhere else. Yes, I can play a different game during that time, but that's hardly an incentive to buy Diablo III, now is it?
  Not only that, but being always online means that if I want to do any modding of the game, I'm pretty much going to have to get a cracked copy of it. I can't go in and change things to be the way I want them to be. Which I did extensively in Diablo II and had a lot more fun playing that way. Plus, I enjoy modding and often end up modding a game more than playing it. But I probably won't be doing that with this game.

I realize most people don't mod, and even those who simply enjoy playing mods may not care too much. But for me, that's a big deal. I get bored of games, and mods really help extend the life of a game for me. If it can't be modded, then I know that I'm much less likely to go back and play the game once I've finished it. Unless they've done something amazing with this game, I doubt it'll have all that much replay value for me. 5 Classes is nice, but if Diablo II is any indication I'll only bother finishing the core game with one or two, and the rest of the classes will get played a small amount and then dropped.

Is an always-on connection "one small reason that kills the game" for me? No. But it's another reason in my list of "Why not to buy the game".

I might still get it. My friends might get it and show it to me and I'll decide that it'll be worth the price to play through once. But I'm a lot less interested now than I was when the game was first announced.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »

You made a completely irrelevant point. Why on earth would I reply to something like that? All these awful 'examples' you keep coming out with are pointless.

And yet you don't seem to understand what we're saying and you keep repeating the blatantly obvious as though it were some kind of revelation to the rest of us.

The always-online thing is only one of the issues being debated here, but you've focused on that to a ridiculous extreme. Meph laid out some very important points and I agree with him 100%.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:07 pm »

Hey maybe they should just replace the game with a big red button on a website. When you push the button you kill an enemy and you get loot. You can equip loot to raise meaningless stats and then click the button some more. Sometimes you need to sell the loot off because you're full, so the button is disabled for ~2 minutes while things are sold.

Yay, Diablo3

Edit: Unintentional doublepost. :(

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2011, 01:12:56 pm »

That's fine, I don't dispute Mephs reasons and they're pretty valid reasons. I thought he (and all the rest of you) were saying that you weren't buying because of a minor issue.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:13 pm »

Activision, WHY MUST YOU RUIN EVERYTHING?! FPSs, Goldeneye, and now Diablo?!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43