Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55835 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2011, 10:34:42 am »

Yeah, the always online thing isn't even an issue for me, but that was a pretty pathetic "response" to the valid complaints. I was amused at the "being online means there won't be dupes  :-\ " reasoning. Maybe someone there should play the games they make.

Being online isn't a problem for many people.

The problem is what they intend to with the connection. It sounds like they will always store your character on the server.

So that means if they implement it badly, or you have a network problem, you may have LAG IN SINGLE PLAYER. And if your connection drops, you will lose progress.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:41 am »

Yeah, the always online thing isn't even an issue for me, but that was a pretty pathetic "response" to the valid complaints. I was amused at the "being online means there won't be dupes  :-\ " reasoning. Maybe someone there should play the games they make.

The problem is what they intend to with the connection. It sounds like they will always store your character on the server.

So that means if they implement it badly, or you have a network problem, you may have LAG IN SINGLE PLAYER. And if your connection drops, you will lose progress.

That's exactly how realm play worked in D2, and plenty of people played on the realms. If you lose connection, it's not that big of a deal unless you're playing hardcore (which is your choice to do), because the server would just save and exit. Even if you died after a disconnect, the next game you joined would have your corpse on the ground in town. All you'd lose is some gold, which was worthless anyway.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2011, 01:45:47 pm »

You've opened my eyes, I was much happier when the last image was a gold farmer spamming ads in every public game I entered, and everyone was using duped runewords and maphacked teleporting hammerdin bots.

::)

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2011, 02:38:50 pm »

That's exactly how realm play worked in D2, and plenty of people played on the realms.

And plenty of people played single-player as well, especially when they had no (or spotty) internet connection. It's completely absurd that they're disallowing offline play.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »

In other news, Torchlight 2 still isn't out despite the last word on it's release date being sometime last month...this makes MorleyDev much sadder. The competition between Torchlight and Diablo just got so much more interesting though with Torchlight doing everything Diablo isn't (namely offline play singleplayer and mods)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:01:08 pm by MorleyDev »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:36 pm »

That's exactly how realm play worked in D2, and plenty of people played on the realms.

And plenty of people played single-player as well, especially when they had no (or spotty) internet connection. It's completely absurd that they're disallowing offline play.

The comment I was replying to was talking about online play specifically. Go way back and you'll see where I said people who didn't like no offline play option had valid complaints and shouldn't buy the game.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

That's exactly how realm play worked in D2, and plenty of people played on the realms. If you lose connection, it's not that big of a deal unless you're playing hardcore (which is your choice to do), because the server would just save and exit. Even if you died after a disconnect, the next game you joined would have your corpse on the ground in town. All you'd lose is some gold, which was worthless anyway.

I in fact do not play in the realms. I don't like having to keep connecting once in a while so they don't delete my data. Plus I only play with friends, which means I only play private rooms in the realms, which is really no different than open, where I can also use the same data to play single player.

They could have just leave the open network option in.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2011, 10:45:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hahahahaahaha
mmmm something is missing...

FIXED!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »

Yes, let's all demonize Activision, Bobby Kotick, et al. even though pretty much the entire damn industry operates the same way these days.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »

I deleted the Scrolls derail.  Please don't intentionally push a derail to the point where a thread is difficult to recover.  There were a few posts that were on-topic but linked in with derail posts that also didn't survive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2011, 03:46:47 am »

I already pre-ordered Diablo 3, and I do not regret it. I like everything that has been done to Diablo III, and I find that its enough change between the two games the keep the good part of the core game play but as well make it into a "new game" rather then just adding content to a previous game (kind of like what Bethesda did with Fall Out: New Vegas from Fallout 3).

- I never enjoyed having to put stats into my character in a very specific manner to get the most out of the character. It added no range to my character or playing style. It was simply a time waster. Since it gave no variation to making my character, I say good riddance.

- Getting rid of skill tree's seems a little odd too me, and I will be honest, I am not sure of it 100% right now. What I do know is that I had one sorc which was an Orber, I had another sorc which only did blizzards, I had another sorc for magic finding. I then had another Sorc that did Meteorites, I had another sorc that did fire balls.... I could go on, but I hope you get the picture. I do think that the skill tree did allow players a nice and interesting way to path towards certain skills... but the way it was simply made it so you were forced to have multiple characters, with a high level of difficult of changing your play style on the go.
With Diablo 3, they are attempting to have it so you can focus on a single character at a time, and not several of the same class. I welcome this new change, even if I am iffy about them getting rid of talent tree's.

- The economy in Diablo 2 was driving by those who could run the most bots. The economy was driven by duping. These issues were so bad, that the economy was just flooded with items if you wanted to trade. Most times you were not sure if an item would simply disappear on your next log in. I hated this, it made the game less fun for me. I welcome having to be online all the time for online play if it prevents this.

- If anyone here actually watched the "Activision Blizzard Second Quarter Calendar 2011 Results Conference Call" you would of found something very interesting about it. In no way did they account for the money they would make from the trading fee's to be apart of their income they would make from the game. An income fee which would be a flat rate, which means that there would have to be a LARGE amount of items being traded for them to actually make any money from it. They are simply giving players an option to trade real money for items.
Also, since gold is going to be extremely useful in Diablo 3, its going to behalf you to trade for gold instead of money.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:08 am »

I was somewhat interested in Diablo 3 until I learned about the real cash auction house and the lack of modding. Oh well, there's always Torchlight 2!

Of course, a large portion of blizzard's fan base will be getting Diablo 3 in spite of its flaws simply because it was made by blizzard. They've conditioned their fans well. Heck, they could probably demand customers submit a kidney (for identity verification purposes or something) in order to play the game, and many of their fans would reach for a box cutter (of course, there would be lots of posts on forums like gamefaq asking what a kidney looks like!  :P ).

Not like there isnt a game there to be enjoyed, or you know, a way to get items without using real money.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2011, 03:54:12 am »

To me it seems that they're dumbing down Diablo III to cater to the casual crowd, I mean what casual gamer wants to find out the best place to put your stats?

The online auction house is also silly, because then people will be less focused about the actual game and more focused on the monies that can be made from the game. (Ever played team fortress 2?)

I know right?! I mean, they were forced to research how to put points into what... and if one place made a bad suggestion and they followed it, they had to start all over! OMG, And Look! They had to continue researching until they found the right information! HOW reliable! THose dam noobs!

O and dam, a way to actually trade items... I hate that, because I really LOVED having to yell in a chat for an hour in a poor attempt to trade items... and the only way I could trade anything if I had the best items in the game since the economy was always flooded with dupes!

((((INSERT SUPER SARCASM)))))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43