Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55722 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

Then let me rephrase. The guys who took a loot system and made it popular, formulaic and marketable and have tweaked for close to 10 years between Diablo 2 and WoW, while the guys who made it slipped into obscurity.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:46:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:14 pm »

You know what, this whole argument is stupid.

We've gone from what was moderately depressing (No one play a game I won't play, because I said so!), to outright tinfoil hat conspiracies.

I'm stepping aside until the thread dies or someone rational makes a valid point about something. Good day.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »

Personally I was never planning to buy Diablo III anyways. I played Diablo I and II and didn't really like either of them that much (the gameplay just wasn't interesting to me, the same way that MMOs tend not to be interesting to me either).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:50 pm »

No reason to be aggressive against the people who made Moria due to people's ignorance of video game history.

Plus we have Moria to thank for Angband and thus every variant there is. I find it to be more significant for pretty much shaping the model of roguelikes we have today than for the graphical roguelikes that spawned out of it.

Personally, I don't care about any of D3 systems, specially before the game is even out for me to poke at it or at least see what's it all about. The DRM is what killed any chance game had of being bought by me. *shrugs*

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:53 pm »

No reason to be aggressive against the people who made Moria due to people's ignorance of video game history.

You mean Tolkien? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:26 pm »

You mean Tolkien? :P
I hope that was sarcasm. :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:39 pm »

We've gone from what was moderately depressing (No one play a game I won't play, because I said so!), to outright tinfoil hat conspiracies.

I'm stepping aside until the thread dies or someone rational makes a valid point about something. Good day.

What tinfoil hat conspiracies?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »

That Blizzard would adjust droprates so they could gain more money.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 09:51:29 pm »

I pledge my full support to this boycott.
I mean it's not like I've ever enjoyed a Diablo game, anyway

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:15 pm »

I had planned to buy Diablo 3 a long time ago, as one of my friends was nagging me to buy it.

Unfortunately, now I won't. I would prefer to have a game where I can play Single Player offline. And to see all the failings of StarCraft 2, a game I was asked to buy but thankfully didn't, be implemented into Diablo 3 but with more failings? It truly makes me sad.

I'm sure it's a great game, but I don't want to see any of this in my games. It's an attempt to raise revenue post-purchase, which is really an underhanded way to do business. I'm sure there will be some new items added to the game just for money.

This is why I won't buy the game. I don't want to continue to allow games to sell me something I should technically already be owning renting. I don't want DLC. I just want my game to be left alone, as complete as it should be.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:41 am »

Judging by quotes I've read, I doubt that's their goal, but how is that a "tinfoil hat conspiracy"? That would just be business. Yes, sometimes companies fine-tune their products or services to make more money off of them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 02:17:04 am »

Judging by quotes I've read, I doubt that's their goal, but how is that a "tinfoil hat conspiracy"? That would just be business. Yes, sometimes companies fine-tune their products or services to make more money off of them.

There are multiple sites that have been tracking item drop rates over a period of years. Oddly enough, the drop rates haven't changed.

If you say the data is invalid, then that leaves the "they're changing drop rates to rip us off" argument invalid because there's no data to back it up. If you say the data IS valid, then comparing some hypothetical manipulation to an extant system that displays no manipulation is also invalid, because data indicates there is no manipulation.

Either way there is no evidence to support the idea that Blizzard has manipulated loot drop rates over a period of time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 02:22:05 am »

Until now they haven't had their incentive to. You should also link your proof if you're going to stand so tall on it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:23:43 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 02:27:58 am »

I just was playing an online chess game, 30 min limit.
I was confortably winning, then lost conection. It was out for 10+ minutes, then got back and I had less than 5 minutes to think the remaining game. (thankfully there was a rejoin feature)

NO FUCKING WAY IM BUYING THE SHIT WITH PERMA-ONLINE REQUIREMENT  >:( TO PLAY FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER!

I had decided it earlier, but this just confirms it. Just too much of a kick in the face to the customers.
Nice way to avoid piracing. Thats precisely what im going to do with it now.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:31 am »

I'm probrably one of the few on this forum who will still buy the game because 1) I like to play online instead of by myself, makes the game more fun, 2)Online= PvP, 3) The auction house in which you might actully make some RL cash off of, although I highly doubt it, and 4) BARBARIANS! Whirlwind=Win.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43