Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55825 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2011, 01:07:07 pm »

I honestly think D2 has some of the best sprite work in games

You do know that most of the art was rendered in 3D then little more than screencapped, right? Aside from the UI, some of the maps and some of the skill/spell effects there's no sprite work there at all.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

I can understand the barb contrasts I suppose. I guess the WD design never bothered me because I'm focusing more on gameplay appearance than a render for the character screen. Still, the amazon red n gold, paladin shiny plate or sorceress green stand out a bit to me, and that's disregarding bright purple tal rasha's wrappings or green-tinged sharktooth. I'd say the WD graphics look a bit more rounded out and balanced in comparison to garish palette swaps on some old armors.

Spell effects on melee strikes I can roll with because it'll be easier to keep track of my character in the middle of hordes. Personal preference, obviously, but whirlwinding in black armor with dull-colored weapons on a gray background vs black mobs (foul dogs in act IV) was underwhelming at best. Still, spell animations themselves (frozen orb, any curse, chaos ice shards, blizzard, meteor, volcano) were pretty screen-filling. I think the changes are at least justifiable; flashy stuff was much flasher than in D1, call it a trend.

WoW comparisons... eh
Spoiler: New Tristram (click to show/hide)
vs
Spoiler: Venomspite (click to show/hide)

Google didn't return any actual images of New Tristram in-game, so I can't directly compare. Still, hearing the catacombs and torture chambers of 3 likened to WoW's Exodar, Silvermoon, or any of the other saturated high-contrast environments just seems odd to me. The only difference I see is D3 is now desaturated blue or gray, instead of gray, gray and green, black, gray on black, or brown.

I do appreciate actual discussion though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »

(rant removed)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:51:33 pm by Toady One »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Cuckoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

You do know that most of the art was rendered in 3D then little more than screencapped, right? Aside from the UI, some of the maps and some of the skill/spell effects there's no sprite work there at all.

These are sprites still, not actual real-time 3D rendering. Sprites are no more than 2D animations or stills you move across the screen while they play. It doesn’t matter for them if they came from being painted by hand, shot on video camera, or rendered out of 3D.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »

Stuff
What?...

lol gotta give him some credit, his post may be unintelligible but it is artistically so.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2011, 02:02:19 pm »

"NO! Y U NO HAS LAN?" here's the answer: LAN is used by Pirates to play happily online, so why give them that chance on a silver platter?
Because its not just your capital P Pirates who use LAN. Thats pretty much like saying people shouldn't ever have VPNs no matter what because they can be used for less than good reasons.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »

@ Kerlc

I understand the sentiment, but you have to take these things in stride. Diablo defined some of us "fanboys'" childhoods, so we can get protective of it. Plus the franchise has been in limbo for several years. And the original team got fired. And the game has been buggy with virtually no support for most of a decade. And now we're looking at something that's being marketed completely differently from what we loved and remember.

I'd like to think some of the complaining is uncertainty at change (it's been 13 years since Diablo 1, 10 years since Lord of Destruction) mixed with frustration at the game taking so long. Strong opinions mean people are passionate about this series, which is a good thing. I'd like to think some of this anxiety will prove groundless on release, but that remains to be seen.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2011, 02:09:16 pm »

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I have played through it probably hundreds of times. Diablo 3 is going to be a day one purchase for me whether or not the fireballs are "too colorful."

Seriously people, those of you who played and enjoyed a lot of Diablo 1 and 2 should just look back at all of the amazing gameplay that you've wrung out of those dusty old games.

I'm not gonna say that I can see into the future and I know that Diablo 3 is gonna be the best game ever, or even as good as the previous games in the series, but I am certainly not going to completely disown a beloved game series because the fireballs are too sparkly or because people can buy things with money just like in the 2nd or because (Oh noes!) I think the witchdoctor doesn't look good in green.

These are completely petty complaints, especially when held next to what the series has delivered in the past.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

You haven't read through the thread at all, have you?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

I think RPS has quite a good point here. I'd put it somewhere else, but this was the most recent place i could think of for relevancy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:40 pm »

Heh, it's a few months/pages too late to call in the argument that should have been post #2.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 05, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »

Only 370 off :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 05, 2011, 08:57:04 pm »

I honestly want this game, seriously. I would love to play it, drool on it and sleep with it. But I can't. I have a shitty Internet connection that loves to disconnect every 15 minutes and is heavily limited (200 MB/24 hours). I wouldn't be able to play this game at all. Kinda sad, but such is the life of living in the boonies. I'd rather stay on my farm with my family than move to some crappy apartment in some crappy city.

Sorry Diablo III, I'm going for Skyrim. Wait, hold on. Is Skyrim the new Elder Scrolls game, or is it Notch's new Scrolls game? ARGH! I'm so confused!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 43