Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55823 times)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »

And I revert to my previous question to you. Blizzards servers don't go down.

If you're travelling then you have a valid point but I suppose you could just not play?

Blizzard wouldn't put this much time and effort into a game then mess it up with crap DRM that doesn't work?

I heard NO complaints when SC2 came out. The reasons for having to be online are entirely valid.

Don't play it, it doesn't bother me it's just a pathetic reason to not play a game.

Wravburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2011, 12:31:17 pm »

I paid a lot of money for a lot of shit that works less then 24/7, or is plainly disappointing after buying. If I wouldn't buy stuff that I can't use 24/7, my house would be quite empty.

I'm not disputing your opinion on this, but personally I have other stuff that is not available to me 24/7 that I actually pay more for.

League of Legends
EU-west: Wash

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »

That post made absolutely no sense.

Basically all the people bitching in here were thinking before this: 'Oh man I can't wait for D3, it's gonna be amazing'

Then after: 'AWW HELL NAW, I AINT BUYING IT IF I HAVE TO BE ONLINE' we'll forget that I'm always online anyway and that I probably never play games whilst travelling but I'll say that because that's the only argument against this
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:34:30 pm by Briggsy16 »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2011, 12:33:33 pm »

And I revert to my previous question to you. Blizzards servers don't go down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're travelling then you have a valid point but I suppose you could just not play?
So I payed 60$ to just not play?

Blizzard wouldn't put this much time and effort into a game then mess it up with crap DRM that doesn't work?
Because Blizzard is an idealistic youth working to create the best game it can instead of the giant business that it is?

I heard NO complaints when SC2 came out. The reasons for having to be online are entirely valid.
Then go get a q-tip. Entirely valid? They want to stop piracy which never works, they want to stop item shop fuckery, which could be solved completely by making single player characters single player only and they apparently want to stop people from being confused at not being able to play online with their single player character, something that could have been solved by actually telling them instead of always online DRM.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2011, 12:36:12 pm »

There was a great article on Blizzard early in the thread that touched on this, and it basically said that by this point you don't own the game, your paying Blizzard for the privilege to play their game

Do you ever read license agreements? It has been the case with almost all games in the modern era (90s, etc, not sure when exactly it started), except some indie games, that you are buying a license to play a game rather than buying a game. Whatever you may have thought you bought in the past, well, I regret to inform you, you don't actually "own" it.

Eventually I stopped bothering to read the things in PC games (they tend to be rather long, boring, and sometimes outrageous), and haven't been presented with any in any 360 games I've bought. I've been informed that there actually are license agreements in 360 games, but I have yet to see one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:38:45 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »

You can play it when you want. As you've said, you have regular internet connection so what is the problem?
The problem is that some people DO NOT have a regular internet connection, or that connection is severely metered so that every kilobyte is precious. There is no reason this game should require a connection for single player.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

I was talking to that specific guy, I said earlier that you have a point if you don't have a regular internet connection BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE the majority do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

I was talking to that specific guy, I said earlier that you have a point if you don't have a regular internet connection BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE the majority do.
The fact remains that there is no specific requirement that would force a single player game to need an internet connection. The only reason this is done is to make it impossible for you to resell the game, because it is tied to your account.

It doesn't matter though, within a few weeks someone will crack the protection and allow us to play without being online and none of this will matter.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »

And the fact remains the majority have a constant internet connection so it makes jack all difference.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »

And the fact remains the majority have a constant internet connection so it makes jack all difference.

Lets do a hypothetical situation!

Everyone on earth has a chip in their head that lets them play angry birds whenever they want! The vast majority play the game with no downsides. A few people however have their chips blow up their brain. Obviously the few amount of people with explodey brain = Jack Shit so keep making those shitty brain chips guys!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »

What an incredibly relevant situation.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:47 pm »

It actually is.

Basically, for reasons that have already been said, the whole needing a stable good internet connection will actually hurt the player-base. It may not be a huge amount, but it is a amount of sales that are lost for no good reason.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »

What an incredibly insightful post.

There is no good reason for this DMR. It will cause a sub standard game for at least some people. Ergo, it is a negative.

I honestly don't understand your defense of it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »

It does make a difference, in quite a few points. This has already been discussed. As far as I'm concerned, it kills all the appeal of the game. I don't want to be plugged all the time to be able to play.

I find it particularily ridiculous since blizzard seemed to be leaning away from annoying DRM techniques, with their no cd patches for Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3. To each his own, I guess. I'm certainly not interested in their latest batch of products...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »

I've already stated that it's a problem for people who do not have regular internet. Jesus christ.

I honestly don't understand your problem with it. Apart from speculation that it might go down, which based on wow and starcraft is barely never, apart from maintenance on WoW.

I find it hilarious that one small feature 'kills all appeal of the game'. How pathetic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43