Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It  (Read 55809 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III and Why You Shouldn't Buy It
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »

Did anyone say weather or not the runes you use would be permanent? Or how difficult it would be to redo them if they are not?

Also keep in mind that being thrown into the ring with something that is immune to all of your spells is not difficult so much as it is impossible to win. Being a slave to the RNG is not difficult because the outcome is not under your control. Impossible is not difficult because difficult implies there is a way to win. Reliance on strangers is unreliable because there are a lot of jerks and random noobs. If you have played Diablo2 online, I'm sure you have experienced all of this and more. Take off the nostalgia goggles for one second.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:23 pm »

Also keep in mind that being thrown into the ring with something that is immune to all of your spells is not difficult so much as it is impossible to win. Being a slave to the RNG is not difficult because the outcome is not under your control. Impossible is not difficult because difficult implies there is a way to win. Reliance on strangers is unreliable because there are a lot of jerks and random noobs. If you have played Diablo2 online, I'm sure you have experienced all of this and more. Take off the nostalgia goggles for one second.

Then the game shouldn't encourage characters to be so highly specialized that they can run up against monsters they have absolutely no chance against, and conversely, monsters shouldn't exist with such broad-ranging immunities that the same will happen.

Of course, that's a little prescriptive of me. In a strictly group-oriented game, having a monster that a sole player can't kill is fine, and if the game has enough optional content, it's okay if not every character has access to all of it. However, I don't think either is the case here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »

Then the game shouldn't encourage characters to be so highly specialized that they can run up against monsters they have absolutely no chance against, and conversely, monsters shouldn't exist with such broad-ranging immunities that the same will happen.

Of course, that's a little prescriptive of me. In a strictly group-oriented game, having a monster that a sole player can't kill is fine, and if the game has enough optional content, it's okay if not every character has access to all of it. However, I don't think either is the case here.
I am willing to admit I'm a bit stilted against pugging with random people. Had a lot of bad experiences with it in several different games.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:22 pm »

Eh, immunities only show up like that in Hell difficulty. It's poorly implemented, that's true, but playing through the plot of the game three times with one character is very much "optional content."

(Scare quotes because it barely qualifies as content at all)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:00 pm »

I'm just afraid Blizzard might tone down the original dark tones of the previous Diablos. It wasn't this grey-black Grimdark theme every game feels like it needs to latch on to, it was just... Dark. I liked it.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:02 pm »

The correct term is gothic. Diablo 1 and 2 had loads of colour, but had a gothic feel.

Unfortunately, no developers seem to remember what gothic means.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

Unfortunately, no developers seem to remember what gothic means.

I remember Agent Navarre. I remember for everyone.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:19 pm »

No modern developers seem to know what color means. Everything's damn near monochrome these days.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:01 am »

Well, Blizzard stubbornly clings to colorful graphics, almost to the point of them being cartoony. Starcraft2 had a lot of brightly colored, rather strange looking units, and WoW's graphics are still very colorful, even after WotLK and Cata. They might keep colorful graphics as a countertrend to most games today, where the color palette is: dirty gray, dirty brown and muzzleflash/fireball.
Thing is, gothic is a bit too risky for Blizz right now because of the fact that it might be reason to push the game into M ratings. Stuff like this is why there's the (theoretically inaccessible) zone in lower Karazhan, dropped by the devs worried about content ratings.

Secondly, the thing about an Auction House is a rather good idea imho. Firstly because if you've got duplicate set pieces or other good gear, you can sell it. If you like farming (yes, there are people like this; I'm one) you can make a fair bit of gold on the AH. Having items sold for IRLmoney by Blizz (something that works decently well for Perfect World; it's the non-Asian divisions' main source of income iirc) also also cuts back on something that plagued WoW for years, and was blatantly against ToS: selling/buying ingame stuff to/from other players for IRLmoney. Which would lead to a) account theft, b) banning or c) all of the above.

Thirdly, always-online DRM is no real issue. If you've bought the game, why care?! If you're planning to pirate it, wait about a half year. You'll be getting cracks that create fake servers emulating Blizzard's DRM systems and loop the game's DRM checking back to itself and all sorts of inventive workarounds. Hell, EA tried this very same thing with TW4. Where there's a will, there's likely someone from the cracking scene fiddling away at protections.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:41 am »

Thirdly, always-online DRM is no real issue. If you've bought the game, why care?!

Have you paid attention to any of the arguments against it at all? Good luck playing the game if you're on a computer without internet access, or with spotty internet access, such as while traveling.

Thing is, gothic is a bit too risky for Blizz right now because of the fact that it might be reason to push the game into M ratings.

I really don't think color scheme decisions have been that much affected by worries over the ESRB rating.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2011, 10:08:06 am »

I just read elsewhere today that it's going to be region locked like SC2. This is getting more absurd by the minute.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:15 am »

That's nothing. Diablo 4 will require you to verify your colonic map and retinal print each time you click to attack, and you will only be able to run it on Blizzard approved vendor PC's. Custom-built PC's must go through a BLIZZCOMP verification process and will require two further forms of positive identification as well as an access card AND the disk must remain in the drive. Once you have run the software, you must login with a Blizzard authenticator RSA key, username, password, date of birth and social security number which are all sent clear text to the blizzard server (which has no security) for verification. You can avoid all of this by subscribing, for $25 dollars a month, to the BLIZZCOMP security membership.

Every month you subscribe will get you 100 free BLIZPOINTS which can be redeemed for fabulous prizes like new decorative shoulder pieces for your Diablo 4 character, or an additional (more than 4) inventory slot! AMAZING!

/facetious

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2011, 10:20:25 am »

I see Diablo 3 as I see Starcraft 2 and WoW. I'd only wanna play them online anyway, I can't wait for D3 and I'll be buying instantly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2011, 10:24:13 am »

I see Diablo 3 as I see Starcraft 2 and WoW. I'd only wanna play them online anyway, I can't wait for D3 and I'll be buying instantly.
I have no problem with playing it online anyway, but what if I have a storm and my internet connection cuts out? There is no real reason the game requires an internet connection AT ALL TIMES. Or if I want to play on a laptop in a hotel room which doesn't have a complimentary internet connection? Or if I want to play while I'm on a plane or subway?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2011, 10:37:58 am »

That's nothing. Diablo 4 will require you to verify your colonic map and retinal print each time you click to attack, and you will only be able to run it on Blizzard approved vendor PC's. Custom-built PC's must go through a BLIZZCOMP verification process and will require two further forms of positive identification as well as an access card AND the disk must remain in the drive. Once you have run the software, you must login with a Blizzard authenticator RSA key, username, password, date of birth and social security number which are all sent clear text to the blizzard server (which has no security) for verification. You can avoid all of this by subscribing, for $25 dollars a month, to the BLIZZCOMP security membership.

You'll also have to provide your official long-form birth certificate from the state of Hawaii's record vaults.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43