Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Succession Game For Newbies  (Read 5875 times)

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game For Newbies
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:24 am »

If someone can tell me how to upload the save/download the ones you guys give, I'm totally up for this.

can you pls just go up a few post. really read the topic instead of just posting
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

frankienrg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:37 am »

Are we embarking near a volcano? I'm ok with the dwarfs initial skills, but it will really matter more for the first overseers.

Cyrik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:13 am »

Guys what build should a do? my usual is:

1. Competant Miner, Competant Engraver
2. Competant Miner, Competant Engraver
3. Competant Wood Cutter, Competant Carpener
4. Competant Mason, Competant StoneCrafter
5. Competant Grower, Comepetant Brewer
6. Competant WeaponSmith, Competant Armorer

This good or you have a better? Kinda want to know before embark.
Hope this is a fun one!
i´m pretty sure you dont really need engravers at the start. i would give one of the miners some social skills so he can be our broker. apart from that i would give the woodcuter alot of axedwarf and teaching skill so he can become our military leader later. maybe give the second miner some medic skills or something.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:56 am »

Guys what build should a do? my usual is:

1. Competant Miner, Competant Engraver
2. Competant Miner, Competant Engraver
3. Competant Wood Cutter, Competant Carpener
4. Competant Mason, Competant StoneCrafter
5. Competant Grower, Comepetant Brewer
6. Competant WeaponSmith, Competant Armorer

This good or you have a better? Kinda want to know before embark.
Hope this is a fun one!

My usual is this:

Novice Miner. x2
Novice Wood Cutter/Carpenter
Novice Mason/Building Designer
Novice Wood/Stone/Bone/? (I forget the other craft.) plus mechanic
Novice Brewer/Brewer/Planter
Novice in all doctor skills except crutch walker/Appraiser/Organizer/Record Keeper/Leader

Thats mine but yours is just as good, i was just putting my opinnion in was all.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:34:36 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »

on one of the miners instead of engraver can you put mechanic?

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 01:04:40 pm »

as i said i am new to succession games so, do we like restart the list once the final person finishes there turn? or do we just stop after that?  ???

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

For succession games, you restart hte list. For bloodline games, you don't restart.
At least, that's what I heard. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:32 pm »

thanks drakon136!  :D

i can't wait until its my turn!

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »

So I get my turn second. I'm not too good at Dwarf Fortress yet so, we'll see

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 10:03:40 pm »

I would love a save. Just came back to DF!

On the Start, we should get an Appraiser/Record Keeper/(Negotiator/Persuader) for our broker/bookeeper/manager and random social skill for our Leader.

For the woodcutter, yeah, I usually give them Adequate Axedwarf and have him train the first cheese maker I get. And I don't really think we need Engraving as a starting skill since we would be too busy setting things up and digging out spots for more migrants: Giving Mechanics might be a good idea for an early stonefall trap.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »

Please, no-one play if you actually know what you're doing :P

This'll be fun to watch. I predict lots of "How do I stop the water?" and "Hlep! The dorfs are all starving!".
[Signature]

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 09:02:35 am »

Any space for another person to add onto the end of the list?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »

I just want to let you know that on none of my fortresses have gotten past the first year, normally dying of starvation  during mid-spring

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »

I've personally never seen much point in actually putting any points towards mining/woodcutting, since they train fast enough.  On a mostly-unrelated note, can I plz be dorfed and added to the turn list?  Gizogin, Dark Wizard (I'd like to be in the military, but I guess that's probably not a priority). 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MonkeySmith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »

K guys sorry bout the wait but RL interuppted this project but i did my year, unfortunatley i needed to get this done quickley so i just used my usual starting build sorry bout it. Btw i  didnt have the time to dorf anyone so just dorf yourselves during your turn. I took the Jewler.

Journal:

First off it wasn't my fualt  i was sent  here, it was a mistake anyone  could have made. So i sold the king some cut  glass at the price of diamonds, anyone could have made that mistake.And anyway it was the kings own fault for not figuring it out until i already spent the money on booze. When i told him that at the hearing i dont think he really understood reality (maybe hes the kind that always blames te other guy) and instead sent me to go make some new fortress called something like goldcraft. Atleast i managed to snaggle the jod of leader away from that annoying Blacksmith. Anyway, the journey was ok as long as you normally sleep on rocks, eat cold plump helmets, and are too scared  to  ask what kind of meat you are  eating. When we got there i started doing my job as i  understood it and figured out that my compainions are idiots, the first thing the wanted to do was hold an election whatever the hell that was when i told them about the kings orders they started complaining abouu the lack of equality or some shit like that so after a couple of fist fights and me holding a match to the barrels of booze we brought along i secured my place as leader.

Spring:

1st Granite- We arrvie after trudging hundereds of miles we finally arive at our destination, it was a dump. I dont know what i was expecting but a pile of dirt with geese running around wasnt it. After an intense arguement with the guy who had the map  we figured out that we took a wrong turn about... when we left, shit. Well considering it  took  as the better part of winter to get here we decided to set up shop here.

3rd Granite- Struck some gem called prase while carving out the main storage area.

28th Granite- Struck Yellow Zircon and Bone Opal while minin out the fortress, The abundance of  gems makes me hopeful about the size of my pay check at the end of the year, plus if its low i could always sell some of the gems we "accidentally" lost.

12th Slate- Struck more Prase, Maybe we should have named the town GemCraft

17th Slate- I sent a patrol up the mountain to find a good place for a tower and instead found large deposites of limonite and coal! with the flux stone we have been pulling out we could easily have steel! Time to start on the furnaces.

3rd Felsite-  Yet more prase i think im gonna be alittle busy in the workshop for a while

8th Felsite- More Prase

24th Felsite- This  month should be renamed from felsite to prase we have mined out 25 gems just by  digging out our fortress. In other news the baasic fortress is almost done but we dont have alot of defenses we need a mechanic soon.

Summer:

1st  Hematite-  Summer began today

13th Hematite- Miners being lazy saying they need food  or some nonsense like that, in other  news the geese tht have running around the mountain have disappered in their plce is a swarm of buzzards that keeps trying to peck my miners to death.

28th Malachite- Geese are back basic fortress is done got bedrooms and dining hall finished and setting up more workshops.

2nd Galena- Losers... I mean migrants have arrived from the mountain homes, we got a mechanic, a BlackSmith, and a Craftsdwarf. I get the mechanic to start making mechanisms and  stone fall  traps.

18th Galena- Ok what the hell is with all the prase

Fall:

1st Limestone- Autumn hs arrived

24th Limestone- Struck Yellow Zircon and Bone Opal, again.

26th Limestone- The miners have been drinking all the booze again we are down to 5 drinks luckly i  have my own personal supply of booze for my use..

2nd Sandstone- Wouldnt you know it? The losers at the mountainhomes decide that now is a great time to send  more migrants,there arnt any usful ones either. we got; a Carpenter, A hunter, a bone carver, a fish dissector, a milker  (legendary), a potash maker, and a shearer. They all quickley become gophers too the more useful dwarves.

20th Sandstone- Out of booze my private  stock was broken into too...

22nd Sandstone-  Gold!  Sweet  now i dont have to go through the paper work of changing the fortress name!

1st Timber- Wait timber is a stone?

10th Timber- Every Plump Helmet that leaves the frms is going straight to  the still but not enough wine is being made. Where are those stupid merchants

14th Timber- This gold vein is huge. Maybe that wrong turn we took threw off the merchants?

19th Timber- Finally the merchants are here! Wait they didnt come for us? Ok i guess we are on the way to some other fortress whatever.

25th Timber-  Traded crafts and gems for all the traders food and booze, the other fortress hopefully doesnt need food.

Winter:

28th Timber- Winter has arrived

12th Moonstone- mined out all the gold but no one is making charcoal so we cant smelt steel or gold, they are saying they arnt skilled enough but how hard is it to burn wood?

13th Moonstone- One of our water buffalo starved while standing in his grassy pasture assigned to  him, oh well we got steak atleast.

23rd Moonstone-  The Traders left finally, but they leftt one of their own and he has been lookking for me, I think i might owe himm some money i'll  just aviod him till he gets bored and leaves.

10th Opal- He's sitting in my room waiting so i've taken the bedroom of one of the gophers until he leaves.

10th Obsidian- Turns out the creep is really the outpst liason and he just wanted to talk to me about some of the merchants demands after talking about the increasing prices of cut gems, battle axes, random crafts, and stone blocks, he askes if we have any of those things when i say no he turns to leave. Then i offer to give  him some expensive gems that went "missing" in exchange for him taking my place as leader. He accepts and i give him some cut "emeralds" (cut glass). I am gonna walk out of this fortress aa free man. I heard that theres a human town nearby if i can get there i  can selling the gems i have and start over in life. I am leaving this journal on my desk for the next leader.

- MonkeySmith, Jewler and 1st Leader of Gold craft.

Good Luck Guys!

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4797
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5