Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to kill a titan with no military?  (Read 1650 times)

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to kill a titan with no military?
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »

It's the third year of my fort, running into autam. I'd started on training a military, but it's only of limited power right now. Read they get butchered every time i try and take this thing on. Mostly becuase a total lack of any metal or coal has left me with just wood for arows. And yes i know perhaps i should have built a military a bit sooner, but i was in a calm embark on a calm world gen, (first time playing, though this is roughly my 5th attempt at starting a fort), and besides one kidnapper who got sent packing before he could grab the only baby in the fort. Leaving behind a tooth that a dorf punched out of his mouth on the way past. I was expecting a goblin seige or 3 before i had to worry about anything like this, as such most of my initial military prep went on traps and the like to send the first couple of seiges packing, (and thus giving me some time to build a military if i was a bit too slow at it). I didn't expect a building destroyer this early on.

Any hints for taking this thing down in cramped confines?

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill a titan with no military?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »

You could seal your fort until a caravan with guards comes to get slaughtered, they might land a lucky hit. There is also the zerg rush with untrained dwarves option.

What's the titan composed of?
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:14 pm »

You could seal your fort until a caravan with guards comes to get slaughtered, they might land a lucky hit. There is also the zerg rush with untrained dwarves option.

...land a lucky hit. There is also the zerg rush with untrained dwarves option.

...zerg rush with untrained dwarves option....

...zerg rush...

KE KE KE KE

[serious]

What is it made of, and what weapons are your dwarves armed with?

[/serious]
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »

Magma.

Seal your forts only entrance and rain holy blood upon those elf-ish forgoten-beast-like-thingies.

Otherwise, seal your fort and (if the titan doesent have wings) build a couple of constructed walls above him suported by a lever-connected support and crush him to ash (or dust, depends)
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »

Yeah, seal yourself off if you can.

Then start working, from the inside, on a new exit with a cave in trap ready to go when you breach to the outside if you want to kill it, or a long walkway filled with dodge-me traps bordering a deep trench with no remaining exit if you want to pen it.  (Not sure how well the second one will work, do titans even worry about traps?)  Or even a long winding corridor with lever-linked drawbridges at each end - breach to outside, let it path in, then raise drawbridges on each end.  You could have a titan in a labyrinth!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/WV2cT.png

Make this.  The shut drawbridge will keep the Titan away from your dwarves if the plan fails.  The pillar should be the only support holding up a few natural tiles of floor.  Let a single dwarf by the drawbridge and close it.  If you're feeling lucky, after mining out that last square, try to get your dwarf through and close the gate behind him.  If not, hope that the Titan is distracted enough by the dog and pillar to ignore your miner.

The idea is to get the titan to collapse the ceiling upon himself by destroying the pillar.  If you think you can get the timing right, you could try linking the pillar to a lever and manually collapsing the floor.  You could build as many chambers as you like, too, to give yourself several chances.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:40:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the titan will not destroy a support on its own.  If you want to cave-in trap it, the support's going to have to be linked up to a lever.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:42:33 pm »

Was allready working on sealing up when i posted this. Had to do a bit of save scumming, but managed it. The titan i ended up with is:

A gigantic eyeless sauopod it has thin wings of stretched skin and it moves delibretly. It's cerulean scales are small and set far apart. Beware of it's deadly spittle. (log when it klled animals talked of frozen extract).

Weapons are wooden crossbows with wooden arrows, (their may be a few copper arrows left from embark if i'm lucky). i've set up a trainign area with a drop channel in front of the targets so i shouldn;t run out of arrows for training if i understand things correctlly.

Digging another entrance is a possobbility, but i'm on a mountain map and was in the process of digging a moat, plus not udnerstanding embark stuff too well at the tiem i started it's a 4x4 map. So i've got very limited room tio work with, i can compres the save into a zip or self extracting rar for you if you like.

And yeah i was aware of the lever being needed for a support, and the dodge trap stuff, (though i'm sure thats ineffective on titans). Was in the process of building it, just needed to lay the traps when it showed up. Sadly it's the other side of the walls.

Also can't titans destroy raised drawbridges, they being building destroyers?

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:47:00 pm »

Wooden arrows are not the most effective against armored targets, so I'm not sure how well they would do against the titan, you might want to try to make some metal bolts, or some metal weapons.

And no a raised bridge cannot be destroyed, basically it's treated as a constructed wall.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »

Building destroyers won't even destroy a lowered drawbridge, although a lowered drawbridge can be destroyed due to temperature effects from, for instance, things made of fire.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »

Bridges are ignored because the titan could be cutting off it's access to your fortress that way by destroying the bridge.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »

I only went with the wood to get them trained,my map also currently appears devoid of any real metal ores and i haven't found any coal, (my wood stockpile is also quite low ATM, a result of not being able to find stone pots initially, was looking in the masons workshop). I have got a couple of chunks of platinum, but with no metalsmithing industry and effectivlly no fuel i'm in trouble. Was going to buy a load of the next dwarf caravan TBH. Had ordered it specificlly.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:02 pm »

Wooden bolts should work fine--it is organic and capable of bleeding out same as any, otherwise rush it with a crowd and beat it down with numbers
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »

Bridges are ignored because the titan could be cutting off its access to your fortress that way by destroying the bridge.
Unfortunately, that theory doesn't work with floor grates or horizontal bars, which building destroyers will destroy even if doing so would block off access to your fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »

Unfortunately, that theory doesn't work with floor grates or horizontal bars, which building destroyers will destroy even if doing so would block off access to your fortress.

I am really glad you mentioned this, as I ceiling-ed off my indoor refuse pile with grates instead of blocks for some nod at realism.  Except there's no level path in there, so hopefully I'll only have to worry about flyers.  Maybe I'll leave it as is and just have a contingency to isolate it.
Pages: [1] 2