Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to kill a titan with no military?  (Read 1648 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill a titan with no military?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:19 pm »

if you've got like 60 dwarves, just make a military out of them and send them in. Worked for me when that FB got into my dinning room

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:40 pm »

My main problem is that seed related issues have given me a fairly bland diet, the dwarves aren't too unhappy but my one attempt at zerging the thing ended in the beginnings of an obvioussly fatal tantrum spiral.

I have ahd one idea though, i've got some legendary miners, i figures with distraction they could knock it out with those picks of there's, but i'm not sure how to make them use said picks in an actual fight, attempts at military recruitment turned them into wrestlers. Another issue is that i've no hospital and nothing but crutches and splints. Anyone with anything worse than a broken bone and bruises is a dead dwarf walking, (or crawling, whatever the case may be). So it kind of needs to go down fast. eating it to death over time isn;t really workable.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:13 pm »

Wooden bolts WILL kill an organic creature. They have a high velocity and low contact area. If youhave 4 dwarves with 25 bolts, and they all fire all their bolts, that's 100 chances at a punctured organ, chipped bone, or severed arteries/tendons/nerves.
Denser wood seems to work better: Glumprog Bolts are great if you can get them. Don't use Feather Wood or Palm or Balsa Wood or something like that.
Yeah, just bombard the thing.
Also, look into Obsidian Shortswords. Better than wrestling or fighting with training weapons, anyway.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 07:29:50 pm »

Wooden bolts WILL kill an organic creature. They have a high velocity and low contact area. If youhave 4 dwarves with 25 bolts, and they all fire all their bolts, that's 100 chances at a punctured organ, chipped bone, or severed arteries/tendons/nerves.
Denser wood seems to work better: Glumprog Bolts are great if you can get them. Don't use Feather Wood or Palm or Balsa Wood or something like that.
Yeah, just bombard the thing.
Also, look into Obsidian Shortswords. Better than wrestling or fighting with training weapons, anyway.

And if they could fire off 25 bolts apeice before it munched them they'd kill it fine, i'm a big beliver in ye old more dakka trope. But when you can't keep it at range for 4 salvos, let alone the couple of dozen you'll need it's pretty much a moot point. Everything decends to a melee fight eventually. Where i'm coupiouslly lacking. I was expecting goblins, i figured the traps would take care of the first couple of light seiges and by the time somthing bigger came A) i'd have lots of nice metal from the goblins, B) i'd have some marksdwarves with more than a couple of dozen XP, so even if a good few got past the traps the could rapidlly shred them with rapid fire high precishion slvos. 5 Marksdwarves with no skill and very littile firing time and no help from traps don't do much good. And i don't have the quivers or crossbows to equip anymore.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »

Glass menacing spikes tied to a lever,   and you have fuel if you have wood.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »

I have ahd one idea though, i've got some legendary miners, i figures with distraction they could knock it out with those picks of there's, but i'm not sure how to make them use said picks in an actual fight, attempts at military recruitment turned them into wrestlers.
They're listed as wrestlers because they don't have any weapon skills to qualify them as something else, I believe. So long as they have picks and mining skill, they'll use them just as well as swordsdwarves use swords.

Another issue is that i've no hospital and nothing but crutches and splints. Anyone with anything worse than a broken bone and bruises is a dead dwarf walking, (or crawling, whatever the case may be). So it kind of needs to go down fast. eating it to death over time isn;t really workable.
Can you go gathering for pig tails or spider silk? Rope reeds are also an option if you have anywhere above ground that's safe and close to water.

You're probably better off spiking it to death though. Put a hatch at the end of the spike corridor so that it breaks it and stands there looking stupid while you stab it in the bum.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:29:10 am »

Thanks guys/girls. The Spikes worked great. i'd have tried them earlier but i figured the trap immune ability made it immune to that soprt of thing. Though i did have to save scum to get them set up. Result, i got a giant hairy lacewing with an aura of kindness and giving. Yeah. Weird. Still it's dead. Hopefully i won't see another for a while. Seiges i don;t mind. I'm pretty sure i can handle those ATM. it's the dammed flying building destroyers i could do without.
Pages: 1 [2]