Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road for caravans didn't work  (Read 2492 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road for caravans didn't work
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

I connected my trade depot to the map edge with a paved road.  The next caravan arrived nowhere close to it.  Does the road need to be a certain width?  Does it all need to be on the same z-level?  There's one spot where it ramps up 1 level higher.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Road for caravans didn't work
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:34:37 pm »

Roads dont work this way anymore same reason why caravans don't need a 3 tile wide corridor to get somewhere.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:28 pm »

Will the caravans for each civ always appear at the same point year after year, or do they bounce around randomly?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »

Will the caravans for each civ always appear at the same point year after year, or do they bounce around randomly?

'tis random
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:17:50 pm »

Roads dont work this way anymore same reason why caravans don't need a 3 tile wide corridor to get somewhere.

Oh ye 31 generation...

The three tile wide section was required for wagons, not necessarily caravans.

Roads never persuaded merchants to spawn at a certain point, but rather they were meant to make a clear path that couldn't have trees grow and block the wagons.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:19:22 pm »

Roads never persuaded merchants to spawn at a certain point, but rather they were meant to make a clear path that couldn't have trees grow and block the wagons.
Ohhhhh!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »

I look forward to wagons again.. when they had a wagon. I'm guessing they brought a TON more goods aye?  I started after they weren't there anymore :\
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:28:36 pm »

I look forward to wagons again.. when they had a wagon. I'm guessing they brought a TON more goods aye?  I started after they weren't there anymore :\

Actually, the amount pack animals could carry was bumped way up for the post-wagon generations, so the amount of stuff we got was about the same as we get now.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »

If there is a 3 tile wide path from your trade depot to a edge of the map that the civilization sending the caravan can reach, then the caravan will only appear on a spot that is connected to your trade depot by a 3 tile wide path.  You can see if this path exists by pressing 'D' after building a trade depot, although this doesn't take into account the fact that sometimes a civilization can only reach certain map edges.  If there is no 3 tile wide path from your trade depot to a map edge, the caravan will appear on any random map edge.  The game still checks for a 3 tile wide path for caravan placement even though wagons don't exist anymore.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:43 pm »

Let's hope toady can fix a few things with caravans and diplomats like :

*Their civilization coming from the edge of the map (as long as its not an impassable mountain biome ) that makes sense for their civilization.
*Make roads a bit more usefull for your dwarves ( faster movement speed , prefer roads when going from one part of the map to another ).

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:09 pm »

*Their civilization coming from the edge of the map (as long as its not an impassable mountain biome ) that makes sense for their civilization.
*Make roads a bit more usefull for your dwarves ( faster movement speed , prefer roads when going from one part of the map to another ).

I thought the first already happened to an extent?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:24 pm »

I thought the first already happened to an extent?

Sort of.  Civilizations will only come from edges of the map they can reach, but in most embark sites all map edges are reachable.  You only see otherwise when you have a river or similar impassible barrier dividing your embark site.  What would make sense would be for caravans to prefer to arrive on the side of the map closest to the civilization they're coming from.  Maybe when Toady adds the caravan arc, with caravan movements around the world actually being tracked, we'll see this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:10 am »

Wait we don't get wagons? When did that happen?

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:27 am »

Wait we don't get wagons? When did that happen?

I think it should be a mandatory forum rule that everyone should have to put the version of the game they're playing in their sig, or something. Would make statements like this much easier to answer.