Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How to raise your IQ by switching browser. (turns out is a hoax)  (Read 6189 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: How to raise your IQ by switching browser.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:43 pm »

Can't we just all agree that IE is dumb?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »

Ah...... Nope. Can't agree to that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »

We can definitely all agree that using IE6 in 2011 is dumb, I would hope.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:59 am »

I dunno, I guess it depends. If your browser works fine for you then it is not dumb to not replace it, and if your computer works fine for you then it is not dumb to not replace it. Thus if you have a 10 year old computer (In fact I do) and it works for you and you have never upgraded I don't see why not.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:05 am »

Gee, you guys sure are using big words. Aeh dunno nuffin' abuut dat!

If we're to trust the study, in my narrow and stereotypical worldview nerds are smarter than non-nerds on average. And with every installed Windows comes IE pre-installed, thus only nerds try out / know about the different, better options out there; therefore they are pushing up the score for the non-IE users.

But yes.. only if we're to trust the study.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 12:08:42 am »

...this reminds me...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:24 am »

I dunno, I guess it depends. If your browser works fine for you then it is not dumb to not replace it, and if your computer works fine for you then it is not dumb to not replace it. Thus if you have a 10 year old computer (In fact I do) and it works for you and you have never upgraded I don't see why not.

Wrong. "It works for me" ignores the fact that the software, being extremely old, is also a security and software development nightmare. The fact that a lot of people/organizations still use IE6 is a pain in the ass for the entire industry. It's god-awfully insecure, and at this point is so far behind in terms of web standards compliance that it's a special-case headache for anyone who has to cater to the internet in general. You'd be amazed at how many businesses and other organizations still use IE6 because they just haven't bothered to change anything, and having to cater to those creates problems for everyone.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 05:18:09 am »

Holy hell, I Just switched and I am now 20 IQ point's smarter, math makes sense to me, and I have made the connection that chewing the paint off my walls is not only the source of the droll on the walls, but also the reason I often feel sick.

Using Camino immaculate browsing system I was able to evaluate That consuming paint was bad, I am now going to attempt to reverse the harm it caused to me by drinking paint thinner.

THANKS AptiQuant Research Team!
Thank you based dwarf.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 05:42:32 am »

Wrong. "It works for me" ignores the fact that the software, being extremely old, is also a security and software development nightmare. The fact that a lot of people/organizations still use IE6 is a pain in the ass for the entire industry. It's god-awfully insecure, and at this point is so far behind in terms of web standards compliance that it's a special-case headache for anyone who has to cater to the internet in general. You'd be amazed at how many businesses and other organizations still use IE6 because they just haven't bothered to change anything, and having to cater to those creates problems for everyone.

I can list one example. Australian government uses either IE6 or (even worse) IE5. They tried to make a motion to force a switch to an updated browser, but for some reason it didn't pass /facepalm
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:30 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430

Turns out its a hoax.

Well, this is a lesson in life guys. Don't believe the internet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: How to raise your IQ by switching browser. (turns out is a hoax)
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 10:59:35 am »

Now i am wondering what the point of this hoax was...
This is a blank sig.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »

To show people easily believe in pools when every pool is bullshit?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

Probably to attack IE.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:50 pm »

Or to attack people using IE?

Yes, you! Dirty IE users! :B

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

To garner traffic for a website when everyone posts a thread saying "this is kinda a sketchy study" or "Nerds are smarter th3n n0n-n34ds!"
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5