Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How to raise your IQ by switching browser. (turns out is a hoax)  (Read 6198 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Ok, well maybe not raise but certainly not look as stupid any more :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:55:42 am by Nilocy »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: How to raise your IQ by switching browser.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »

lol @ "if you have a low IQ, you are probably using IE..."

Selection effect - nerds tend to be smart... nerds like to use things other than IE.
This is a blank sig.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »

Selection effect - nerds tend to be smart... nerds like to use things other than IE.

They said that in the report if you knew how to read articles first :P

"AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:56 pm »

They said that in the report if you knew how to read articles first :P

"AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard."

Erm, i kind of did read it and made an effort to quote/paraphrase the line... so you can now climb out of my throat thank you.
This is a blank sig.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »

... I use Internet Explorer.

I know it sucks, though, so that might redeem me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:35 pm »

OP: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »

Bwahaha, I told you all that Opera is the best!
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »

http://www.aptiquant.com/

I am not sure how I feel about this company as a reliable source.
Seems kinnda B.S to me.
But it might just be me because I am skeptic of quantitative testing as an accurate depiction of the human mind.
Thank you based dwarf.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

"I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."
I think we should listen to this.  It's not really a plausible result.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:06 pm »

What's a Camino? Can you browse the internet using a pokemon now?
Blargh.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:27 pm »

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

I'm afraid people are dumber than you think. It's just that you don't meet a lot of them, because intelligent people aren't usually drawn to stupid people. Also, some of the people who took the test could be children or something. Children don't care about browsers, they just use the obvious choice.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »

Well... no.  IQs are weighted so that people, on average, score 100.  This study would put the average internet explorer user in the bottom 8% or so of the population in terms of IQ (as well as implying the top 8% are magically drawn towards super-minority browsers).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

I'm afraid people are dumber than you think. It's just that you don't meet a lot of them, because intelligent people aren't usually drawn to stupid people. Also, some of the people who took the test could be children or something. Children don't care about browsers, they just use the obvious choice.
Even a child should average 100. It's done as a ratio of "mental age" to actual age, times 100. So if you're 10, but have a "mental age" of 15, you have (15/10)*100= 150 IQ. Perversely, this makes it much easier to have an elevated IQ as a child, but normalizes all IQs with age. I was tested at age 6, and was scored somewhere around a 167 (10 year mental age / 6 year actual age). To keep the same IQ now, I'd have to test as like a 59 year-old. And therein lies the problem with measuring IQ...how do you quantify something like that. If Stephen Hawking retains all his genius-level faculties and lives to be 100, that makes his mental age over 200. What does it mean to "be as smart as a 200-year old" anyways??

Well... no.  IQs are weighted so that people, on average, score 100.  This study would put the average internet explorer user in the bottom 8% or so of the population in terms of IQ (as well as implying the top 8% are magically drawn towards super-minority browsers).
Uhh...no, the distribution should fall in a bell curve, so 80 IQ would still be about 25-30 percent of the population? I'm not going to do the stats math to figure out the rough percentages, but I'm sure it's a good bit higher than 8%.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »

Well, if it's something like...
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Then it looks very much like around 8-9%, and all the other sources I've found explicitly said it was ~9% (miscounted for 8, oops).  After all, 80 IQ is 9th percentile...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »

the distribution should fall in a bell curve, so 80 IQ would still be about 25-30 percent of the population?
That doesn't sound right!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5