Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major flow lag  (Read 694 times)

julius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Major flow lag
« on: November 23, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

My map has a magma vent and so I dug out an entire forge/smelter complex adjoining a single channel.  However I did not breach the vent until I set up a ton of traps.  While this was going on, my fps was maxed out at 100 consistently.

The moment I breached the vent to fill the workshop channels, my FPS dropped to 42 and has hovered there ever since.  When I turn on flow depth it looks like all the magma that entered the workshop channel (which is now filled to depth 7) was subtracted from the main (very large) vent.  This causes a boatload of depth '6' tiles in the vent (two levels of vent) to keep flipping from 6 to 7 repeatedly.

Amusingly the inflow to a depth 6 tile comes from the same direction no matter where the tile is, so every depth 6 tile gets filled by a depth 7 tile from, say, the east, which means the numerals '6' seem to swarm around in formation -- semi-hypnotic  with the lag.

I can provide a save game if needed.  Sorry if this is a repeat report -- I couldn't find anything related to 'flow lag' or 'magma lag' in the bug forum.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major flow lag
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

That doesn't sound like a bug at all.  It's not surprising that the game lags since it's performing more calculations than it was before.  Of course it'll slow down.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Major flow lag
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:36:00 am »

I suppose it's a problem with the 7 levels of liquid. As long as those bits are flipping around from 6 to 7, the system doesn't go static. There is one reason I could suspect behind the usage of just 7 levels with no fractions, but unless Toady thinks up a workaround, he'll need to add liquid fractions to fix he lag.
He might rig a check to count liquid total on a layer, and force-freeze the flow sim once that becomes constant (with proper checks in regards to flowing, like depth delta in isolated areas), but I have no idea if it's feasible with his system.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India