Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tips on finding iron?  (Read 1099 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tips on finding iron?
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:45 am »

So this is my 1st fortress, doing good, 45 dwarfs. However, I need to find some iron. My area has flux stone, and I have found a lair of dolomite, i just need iron ore. Tips on finding any?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: tips on finding iron?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:34 am »

Sedimentary layers are your friend, however Iron is rather rare in the current release, I suggest you find an alternative. if you simply MUST have iron for some silly reason wait for Goblin Christmas.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:04 am »

Mine the goblins xP
Though to be serious, the dolomite is a good place to start looking for some iron ore. Also any sedimentary and igneous extrusive rock layers you might have. Not guarenteed to have any in them depending on your mineral scarcity settings, but if there is some on your map that'll be where they are.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:23:57 am »

Check the wiki entry on Exploratory Mining  I reccomend the 15x15 approach if you are hunting veins or large clusters for iron.  You could lower it to about 10x10 blocks.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.