Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Military leader from start?  (Read 2763 times)

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military leader from start?
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:20 am »

Anyone know any good setup for a good military leader?
Should i have alot of combat skill or teacher / leader skill etc? , should i bring armor and stuff?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Military leader from start?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:38 am »

Copper armor,
1 copper / bronze sword
1 skill in sword, 5 in teaching, 2 in dodger, 1 in armor user and 1 in shielduser

He'll train recruits in their sword skill and the others too.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:05:20 am »

Thanks (:

No leader skill? , Not sure what it does but still

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:43 am »

AFAIK leader skill is useless at the moment, and all the captains and commanders etc. will learn it slowly.
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:48 am »

Ahh thats bad , Well ill give your setup a try , thanks again (:

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:46 am »

I would say good Teacher skill and good fighter and weapon skill.   Ideally you would want good teacher, dodger, fighter, wrestler, weapon, armor user, shield user, striker, biter, kicker and leadership.  But you will be spreading the dwarf's 10 skill points too thinly and your guy will hardly be any better than an average migrant.

In my opinion, teacher is important for teaching other soldiers faster, fighter skill is the overall skill that determines the soldier's general melee capability which is one of if not the most important skills for a melee dwarf to have.  Weapon skill makes them more capable with their weapon , which if high enough can substitute for dodging and shield block in some cases from parrying.  Fighting and weapon skill also help you land blows more, reducing an enemy's opportunities for counterattacks.

For the other skills, leadership apperantly plays a role, but I have no idea what it does,  dodge is helpful all the time, but especially so if you don't expect your guys to have decent armor.  Wrestler can help against bites and troll grabs, helping your soldier to get out of them, even if they don't wrestle much themselves.  Striker kicker and biteing can make those occasional non weapon attacks of opportunity more effective, armor user reduces the calculated weight of a dwarf's armor when worn, allowing them to reduce or nullify encumbrance, and shield user improves a dwarf's ability to use their shield.

I'm sure there are all kinds of opinions on the matter tough.  And Horrid's build sounds effective.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:30 am »

That was well explained for all the uses , thanks , i wasnt sure what all did before , and i thought armor user only made the attacks more likely to deflect.

I was thinking trying 4 teacher - 2 fighter - 1 - sword - 2 dodge - 1 armor.

is sword dwarf really the best choice? , What about axe / mace etc?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:51 am »

Swordman is good in the beginning since you only need to lob limbs off of wild animals and the occasional kobold, maces and hammers are for the Copper and iron can army approaches, swords are good for decaps and are a very good all around weapon, axes are better for things with only clothing unless you have a candy axe.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:02 am »

ahh hehe :P
Well ill go with sword then thanks (:

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:24 am »

don't bring your weapon with you - bring raw materials to make steel or bismuth bronze instead. It's much cheaper and you have good chances of having a high quality weapon if you pick carefully.
For added lethality i'd suggest putting all points into teaching and maybe dodging skills and pump your superleader in a danger room asap from start.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:50 am »

danger room?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:43:44 am »

danger room?
erm i'm sorry if you shun them and this offends your feelings!
in this case i may suggest having two dedicated military dwarves from the start, with dodging, teaching and student skills.
My general point was that you shoud spend embark points for skill that are trained slow and painfully, not ones that skyrocket in dr's, sparring or prisoner pummeling.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:01 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Danger_room

The general jist of it is a barracks where the entire room is full of upright spike traps loaded with training spears set to constantly repeat by some method.  The trainees enter, and gain all kinds of skills from parrying, dodging, or otherwise avoiding the training spears.

It is incredibly effective, training soldiers from 0 to legendary+5 (and beyond) in all combat skills except wrestler striker kicker and biting, in about a year.  But due to the silliness of somebody willingly entering such a room, and it's extreme speed in training, many (myself included) consider it an exploit.

Downsides are dead babies, which is hardly a downside, and dead pets.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:51:23 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:29 am »

I take this.

1 leader
1 teacher
3 dodging
3 fighter
2 in whatever weapon you want

I make sure the dwarf either/and/or has good attributes like agility/higher healing as well as likes armor or weapons hell be using. I also usually bring a copper mail vest and copper helm to start him off. Within the first few years he usually ends up with a very well skilled combat unit to base the forts defenses off. With veterans from that squad getting assigned their own squads to teach as population allows.

That setup has been able to stand up against most starting threats. It varies dwarf by dwarfs attributes and luck of getting badly hit sometimes.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:52:25 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Danger_room

The general jist of it is a barracks where the entire room is full of upright spike traps loaded with training spears set to constantly repeat by some method.  The trainees enter, and gain all kinds of skills from parrying, dodging, or otherwise avoiding the training spears.

It is incredibly effective, training soldiers from 0 to legendary+5 (and beyond) in all combat skills except wrestler striker kicker and biting, in about a year.  But due to the silliness of somebody willingly entering such a room, and it's extreme speed in training, many (myself included) consider it an exploit.

Downsides are dead babies, which is hardly a downside, and dead pets.
I dont enjoy exploits , This is no bug or anything? just effective training?
Pages: [1] 2 3