Poll

Are you sick of Zombie games?

Yes
- 52 (33.5%)
No
- 103 (66.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?  (Read 16144 times)

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:50 am »

I'm not sick of Zombie Games idea, but i am sick of the terrible zombie games that we are getting all the time.
Finding a good zombie tittle is like shoveling through a pile of crap to find a flawless diamond.

Dead island looks promising, also there's always excellent roguelikes like Cataclysm and Rogue survivor!!!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 11:35:08 am »

Not really. Ghouls were always just mutants. They never rose from the dead. Well, there was that one guy they buried alive in FO2, but still.
(Many) Ghouls were completely mindless shamblers with no thoughts other than causing your immediate death, who stood around moaning, were covered in rotting flesh, and felt no pain. Arguing they were anything but zombies is nonsense - they were zombies with a fallout-themed justification, but they were STILL zombies.

Plus, by that logic, there are no zombies in the L4D games either.
Didn't the Necropolis ghouls attack because Seth told them to? Also, where do you get the "no pain" thing? They went down much easier than the average human and they were slower due to crippled limbs.

Also, a previous post of mine in this thread already questions just what exactly you face in L4D, because fat fucks that explode with puke and overpowered crybabies are pretty distant from instinct driven zombies, and the idiot hordes that charge at you go down with one shot.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2011, 11:35:57 am »

I'm not sick of Zombie Games idea, but i am sick of the terrible zombie games that we are getting all the time.
Finding a good zombie tittle is like shoveling through a pile of crap to find a flawless diamond.

Dead island looks promising, also there's always excellent roguelikes like Cataclysm and Rogue survivor!!!

Ah yes, Dead Island trailer was very nice, but how does it translate to the actual gameplay..?
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:53 am »

The thing is, though, you DON'T have to force them. Just simply have doing it the "right" way and not killing anyone result in a quick "victory", and suddenly players will do the other bits simply because they want to see the rest of the content. You don't actually have to force anything! Even if you give the "good ending" to their character only for "refusing to play by the rules", most players will eventually be driven to take the other paths because what rewards players isn't what rewards characters, heh.

The Path plays with and subverts the hell out of this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2011, 11:58:53 am »

Heck, look at "I Have Candy Get in the Van" to see that in action.

I only played long enough to get an ending that didn't result in me going to jail.  As much as I wanted to see all possible endings, I couldn't get myself to stoop that low.

Biggest issue I had was that it was impossible (or at least, I never found the pattern) for how to know which child is giving which answer, such that you can push and push and push at the one kid as far as the game will let you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »

Didn't the Necropolis ghouls attack because Seth told them to? Also, where do you get the "no pain" thing? They went down much easier than the average human and they were slower due to crippled limbs.

I'm just talking about the feral ghouls. Their minds literally broke down. There were aggressive ghoul factions that WEREN'T ferals, true, like bandit ghouls and Seth's lackeys, but there were also plenty of ferals, most of them in random encounters.

rogerwilco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »

late response to this
but an update

other polls on the net are now over-whelmingly voting yes to being sick of zombies
3 years later and more people are getting sick of them.

see the thing is... people will get sick of anything if you overdo it
zombies are going to end like disco if they don't tone it back at least a bit
it's at the point now we're even point and click games of all things are being over-whelmed by horror stuff
or how I bought a sci fi movie the other day that turned out to be a really stupid zombie movie about zombies on mars. seriously, that made no sense at all.

I think those of us that are sick of them just want things to be more even.
We don't want zombie stuff to disappear. Just to be able to buy our genres without having this stuff shoved in our faces anymore.
I mean the zombie trend has gone on for 18 years now. I'd be sick of anything after that
and if they keep on going like this, it's only going to hurt the sub-genre.
that's what happened to disco. They overdid it so bad that it pretty much died completely. So much so that there were huge rallies of people smashing and burning disco records. I'm sure zombie fans don't want to see their genre go down the toilet. It's inevitable though when they do too much of one thing though, because then by the end of it we're left with the bottom of the barrel. the worst of the worst.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2014, 01:46:55 pm »

I'll never get sick of zombies.  But, the key point here is that zombies ain't a factor in convincing me to buy a game featuring/containing em.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:19 pm »

not sick of zombies, i'm sick of fps in general.  weather you are killing nazis, "terrorists," demons, mutants, aliens or zombies, it's just a different skin on the same game.

i'm currently into the indie survival/crafting genre like 7 days and project zomboid.  don't care that they are with zombies.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »

First and only post from an escaped lunatic is a necro of a 3-year-old thread of a very random topic. Hmmmm.....

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »

late response to this
but an update

other polls on the net are now over-whelmingly voting yes to being sick of zombies
3 years later and more people are getting sick of them.

see the thing is... people will get sick of anything if you overdo it
zombies are going to end like disco if they don't tone it back at least a bit
it's at the point now we're even point and click games of all things are being over-whelmed by horror stuff
or how I bought a sci fi movie the other day that turned out to be a really stupid zombie movie about zombies on mars. seriously, that made no sense at all.

I think those of us that are sick of them just want things to be more even.
We don't want zombie stuff to disappear. Just to be able to buy our genres without having this stuff shoved in our faces anymore.
I mean the zombie trend has gone on for 18 years now. I'd be sick of anything after that
and if they keep on going like this, it's only going to hurt the sub-genre.
that's what happened to disco. They overdid it so bad that it pretty much died completely. So much so that there were huge rallies of people smashing and burning disco records. I'm sure zombie fans don't want to see their genre go down the toilet. It's inevitable though when they do too much of one thing though, because then by the end of it we're left with the bottom of the barrel. the worst of the worst.
holy necro batman..... Well... at least there is no link to follow....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]