Poll

Are you sick of Zombie games?

Yes
- 52 (33.5%)
No
- 103 (66.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?  (Read 16142 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2011, 07:26:07 am »

I rather like feeling emotions rise up when killing beings. Suicidal enemies don't do that, and it's something devs prey on. It's mindless killing. If I could humanize them a bit more, maybe one of these countless suicidal enemies games could get a good storyline going and evoke some emotion from me. Until then, suicidal enemies games are mostly fps versions of Space Invaders, with the green men looking more humanoid then usual.
Fixed
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2011, 07:42:41 am »

Oh, and Fallout had zombies in it ;)
Not really. Ghouls were always just mutants. They never rose from the dead. Well, there was that one guy they buried alive in FO2, but still.
Well there was that one ghoul in Hub (his name escapes me at the moment) who kept saying he died at various points in his story, but he was probably joking. ::)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

Oh, and Fallout had zombies in it ;)
Not really. Ghouls were always just mutants. They never rose from the dead. Well, there was that one guy they buried alive in FO2, but still.
Well there was that one ghoul in Hub (his name escapes me at the moment) who kept saying he died at various points in his story, but he was probably joking. ::)
That was Harold and he was joking. :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2011, 08:43:38 am »

The closest thing In Fallout was probably the Super Mutants actually- they were dumb, aggressive, and the only way the could increase their numbers was to irreversibly turn humans into more of them. They also didn't seem to remember their past lives (a very zombie attribute), except one of the bad endings suggests that the protagonist reveals the location of his vault after being turned (which is impossible if he lost his memory...)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2011, 08:56:53 am »

The closest thing In Fallout was probably the Super Mutants actually- they were dumb, aggressive, and the only way the could increase their numbers was to irreversibly turn humans into more of them. They also didn't seem to remember their past lives (a very zombie attribute), except one of the bad endings suggests that the protagonist reveals the location of his vault after being turned (which is impossible if he lost his memory...)
I can't remember them losing their memories. There were actually two kinds of super mutants - the intelligent ones (like Marcus and the Liuetenant), supposedly as a result of untainted humans being put in the vats, and the stupid ones (like Harry), which made up the majority. Even the stupid ones could talk, though, so they weren't zombie like at all. They were pretty high-tech in FO1 and 2 as well.

Also, the protagonist gave the vault location before being dipped. You either get beaten to death in interrogation, manage to escape or give them the vault location in return for not getting killed but getting dipped instead.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2011, 09:49:54 am »

I can't remember them losing their memories.
Apparently ZAX says that. Of course it never saw the final stages of the project- it was moved to the military base- so maybe they fixed that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:31 am »

(Many) Ghouls were completely mindless shamblers with no thoughts other than causing your immediate death, who stood around moaning, were covered in rotting flesh, and felt no pain. Arguing they were anything but zombies is nonsense - they were zombies with a fallout-themed justification, but they were STILL zombies.

Plus, by that logic, there are no zombies in the L4D games either.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:51 am »

(Many) Ghouls were completely mindless shamblers with no thoughts other than causing your immediate death, who stood around moaning, were covered in rotting flesh, and felt no pain. Arguing they were anything but zombies is nonsense - they were zombies with a fallout-themed justification, but they were STILL zombies.
Ah, yes, there was funny how you would first kill several dozen of them, because they look like zombies, and then find out that they have a whole freaking civilization in and below Necropolis. While your murderous rampage (anyone who isn't a cripple can outrun the ghouls and the "wild" ones had no ranged weapons. Indeed most of the time no weapons of any sort) is never commented on, it's likely they were simply robbers.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:28 am »

Most feral ghouls are looked upon as lost by the ghouls who still have their sentience, thus the not really caring that you murdered them en masse.
*Hugs*

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2011, 10:11:47 am »

Ok, next idea: you kill zombies for 4 hours and then it turns out you are a crazed gunman, and they're just people.

There's no moral choice.  The game forced you into a singular path, there was never an option to not kill the "zombies."
You don't get art. The whole point is that you're doing something horrible and you can't stop yourself, which is an allegory for giving up on your conscience in favour of the society's morals.

What it should really do is make your targets appear as normal humans to you, but everyone else refers to them as zombies and pushes you into killing them. Bonus points if they plead for their lives as you kill them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:25:25 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:22 am »

Damn, ninjaed. But I have... quotes!

The brain structure of a feral ghoul indicates that the regenerative ability of the neurological system that affords "normal" necrotic post-humans their longevity does not extend into the higher reasoning functions of the brain itself. This condition is referred to as "ferocious post-necrotic dystrophy", according to the ghoul physician Barrows

Some ghouls eventually go mad and it remains unclear exactly what precipitates this change in neurobiology and psychology, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that non-social ghouls, or those in isolation, are more prone to the condition. It is also quite possible that this is a gradual process, meaning that eventually all ghouls would succumb to this condition. However, considering the number of ghouls who have lived for more than two centuries, it is quite possible that this is not so, or that the rate of degeneration is dependent on the individual affected and surrounding environmental factors. Ghouls that succumb to insanity are called "feral ghouls:" they are mindlessly aggressive and, having lost their ability to reason, driven entirely by their instincts. These feral ghouls strongly resemble zombies like those depicted in old horror films, and this misconception succeeds in alienating non-feral ghouls even more from humans. The term "zombie" has become an offensive racial slur to ghouls and "smoothskin" is a derogatory term for humans often used by ghouls.

Also, the whole "Zombies/Monsters were actually just normal people thing" was done in Silent Hill 3 as a (temporary) "twist", heheh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywfsv2SJNg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:18:42 am by GlyphGryph »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 10:40:45 am »

You don't get art. The whole point is that you're doing something horrible and you can't stop yourself, which is an allegory for giving up on your conscience in favour of the society's morals.

What it should really do is make your targets appear as normal humans to you, but everyone else refers to them as zombies and pushes you into killing them. Bonus points if they plead for their lives as you kill them.

Now that is psychological horror.  Rather than "surprise!" at the end, it's a consistent reality versus perception disconnect that would really play on the player's emotions.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 10:42:29 am »

The only problem is that your average gamer wouldn't think twice about executing innocent civilians.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11:35 am »

The thing is, though, you DON'T have to force them. Just simply have doing it the "right" way and not killing anyone result in a quick "victory", and suddenly players will do the other bits simply because they want to see the rest of the content. You don't actually have to force anything! Even if you give the "good ending" to their character only for "refusing to play by the rules", most players will eventually be driven to take the other paths because what rewards players isn't what rewards characters, heh.

Heck, look at "I Have Candy Get in the Van" to see that in action.

I think a game where all the "Game Overs" are actually "Good Endings" would be kind of night - the only way to keep playing is to sink your character lower and and lower... especially if the "good endings" aren't great, but actually get progressively worse as the player progresses, heh.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 11:16:33 am »

I'm not sick of Zombie Games idea, but i am sick of the terrible zombie games that we are getting all the time.
Finding a good zombie tittle is like shoveling through a pile of crap to find a flawless diamond.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7