Poll

Are you sick of Zombie games?

Yes
- 52 (33.5%)
No
- 103 (66.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?  (Read 16155 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

I'm definitely sick of co-op casual Zombie shooters that there have been a million of on Steam lately. L4D and L4D2 pretty much killed me on that aspect of it. Zombie Apocalypse games aren't interesting to me anymore if there are no long-term considerations or mechanics for gameplay. L4D is still better than say, Dead Trapped or whatever terribly named game that is on Steam, and I still await a FPS with L4D's spirit but someone else's sense of gameplay other than Valve.

The Zombie Apocalypse Rogue-likes and sims though....those are still fertile ground that is just barely beginning to get scratched. Zomboid is very promising in this regard. Dead State is looking good too.

Basically the ZA game I'm still waiting for is a Fort Zombie that doesn't suck. Or perhaps a graphical Urban Dead, an open, persistent world zombie apocalypse game MP game that's all about the humans vs. the zombies.

I am pretty sick of mowing down zombies in a one-note scenario though. Ever since Killing Floor no game really delivers on the visceralness of zombie killing, especially L4D. And Killing Floor taught me also that the most boring thing that can happen in a ZA game is for your team to sit in a corner and defend themselves.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 06:05:09 pm »

Zombie FPSes are overdone, but I'm glad there are other zombie games that aren't part of the literally zombie-like horde of half-baked games, such as Cataclysm, Rebuild, and maybe Jon's new game, once it's released.

EDIT: Project Zomboid seems good too, although I haven't played it yet.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:06:47 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »

A zombie RTS could be cool if done right.  You control a small squad of 4-8 versus thousands of zombies.  It would need a killer plot though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:37 pm »

A zombie RTS could be cool if done right.  You control a small squad of 4-8 versus thousands of zombies.  It would need a killer plot though.

Maybe?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »

Personally, I think RL zombie games are still the most fun. HvZ represent. ;)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:20 pm »

I've been noticing this trend for a good bit myself. There's one thing that has bothered me in Zombie campaigns of any media/sort. Why aren't there any zombie animals? Whether exclusively, or just as rabid and ferocious as human zombies? Let's say the local zoo or pet store just got hit by the same outbreak that has caused your town to go to hell. Zombie elephants, crocodiles, and hell, even sea creatures. Zombie mice/rats and even bugs would be especially a nightmare since there's so damn many of them. Nowhere is safe anymore, seeing as even the most innocent creature from the standard house cat to even a mosquito can infect a person into a zombie themself.

The only other game(s) that come to mind that do involve mother nature getting infected by the same problem is Parasite Eve and Resident Evil.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:48:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »

I've been noticing this trend for a good bit myself. There's one thing that has bothered me in Zombie campaigns of any media/sort. Why aren't there any zombie animals? Whether exclusively, or just as rabid and ferocious as human zombies? Let's say the local zoo or pet store just got hit by the same outbreak that has caused your town to go to hell. Zombie elephants, crocodiles, and hell, even sea creatures. Zombie mice/rats and even bugs would be especially a nightmare since there's so damn many of them. Nowhere is safe anymore, seeing as even the most innocent creature from the standard house cat to even a mosquito can infect a person into a zombie themself.

The only other game(s) that come to mind that do involve mother nature getting infected by the same problem is Parasite Eve and Resident Evil.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »

The traditional method of becoming a zombie is being bitten by one.  How precisely does one go about biting the average insect without utterly destroying it?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »

The traditional method of becoming a zombie is being bitten by one.  How precisely does one go about biting the average insect without utterly destroying it?
Who says you have to attack the insect? The insect could just unwittingly feed on a zombie and get infected that way. And with that vegetable comic there, the blood of the infected zombies feeding plants, well, what else do you expect? Zombie fruit/veggies/trees. Some will turn you into a zombie, others could cure you from it. Have fun figuring out which species of plants can do what. Heck, some plants would even possibly evolve a self-defense method (if they survive the cause) that turns the unwitting victim into a zombie as well (think stinging nettles; except they could give your bare foot necrosis with a chance of zombification).

In regards to plants, I think the most horrifying method of plant-based infection into turning zombie has to be via spores/pollen. Get your hepa-filters ready, and don't inhale when changing them out. Oh right, I forgot to mention, zom-bees. They can carry the pollen after all, and produce zombie-plant-based honey. Imagine the applications of that if you will.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:14:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »

Lots of viruses are pretty species specific.  I don't see why zombism would be any different.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »

I'm not sick of zombie games in general. What I am sick of has already been mentioned; co-op zombie shooters trying to play me too with L4D. 

On another note, my ideal zombie game: An MMORPG (wait, hear me out), modelling the whole world post-zombie apocalypse, or at least some of the more interesting parts of it, in a single server that holds every player, similar to EVE Online, with a deep crafting system and the ability for players to band together and form settlements, with the most successful even being able to develop limited industrial capacity. E.g., a member of a settlement with a high rank in Craft: Firearms (Rifle) could create or buy blueprints for a real-world weapon, and then buy supplies, build weapons, and sell them. Alternately, they could develop their own model of weapon using scrap, and build those. And they could even be part of a collective of sorts; other members of the settlement gather parts, they craft the weapons, which are then used for defense and scavenging expeditions, while also providing training to aspiring gunsmiths. That sort of thing. Of course, this might be too complex to model with current gen hardware, but I really like the idea.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 08:57:14 pm »

Actually a zombie scenario is implausible.
If one waited atleast 1 week then all of the zombies would die of starvation.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 09:03:11 pm »

Actually a zombie scenario is implausible.
If one waited atleast 1 week then all of the zombies would die of starvation.
Nah, everyone knows that zombies are all capable of photosynthesis.
*Hugs*

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 09:54:31 pm »

Good games are good. Bad games are bad.

In other words, I don't care if zombies/aliens/orcs/elves are overdone or not (they all are, but that isn't the point) -- all I care about is how much fun the game is. Enjoyment is all I look for.

I don't play every zombie game out there, so there's little chance I'd get burned out on them. Zombies aren't going away any more than aliens and elves are going away, and that's fine with me.

What I am sick of is terrible AAA games, zombies or not. But that's really it (so far as games are concerned).

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Took the liberty of spoilering the image in the quote.

That comic strip reminded me of a quest from World of Warcraft set in the Western Plaguelands. The player is tasked with plucking vegetables from a farm field that happen to have zombies attached to them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7