Poll

Are you sick of Zombie games?

Yes
- 52 (33.5%)
No
- 103 (66.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?  (Read 16150 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »

I was kind of dissappointed Stubbs wasn't really that great a game, to be honest. Felt like a lesser version of destroy all humans. I do enjoy being a zombie, though, both there and in Improbable Island, but neither are particularly good games, and in ImpIsland, it's mostly just RP flavour stuff than meaningful zombie-hood (though that works, since it's basically a freeform-RP with an almost unrelated mechanical back-end). I've always had great fun with the L4D multiplayer and playing as the "start infected" in Halo/Counter-Strike zombie matches.

I imagine games like Prototype could be considered pretty close to the mutant zombie end, but I certainly would mind seeing one closer to an FPS.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

I rather like feeling emotions rise up when killing beings. Zombies don't do that, and it's something devs prey on. It's mindless killing. If I could humanize them a bit more, maybe one of these countless zombie games could get a good storyline going and evoke some emotion from me. Until then, zombie games are mostly fps versions of Space Invaders, with the green men looking more humanoid then usual.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:10:41 pm by Rex_Nex »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 03:19:50 pm »

Maybe that's why they feel like such a waste of time for me.  I don't even get excited when I progress my character (get a new gun) in games with zombies because it feels just like a mindless unrewarding/unemotional grind to me.  Sure, games are supposed to be fun, but I don't have fun knocking over the same domino all day long.  It's boring to me.  Now, if the domino actually tried to avoid my finger it may be a bit more fun.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:01 pm »

We need a zombie game where a cure is discovered at the end.  How much would that guilt out the player?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »

We need a zombie game where a cure is discovered at the end.  How much would that guilt out the player?

And turns zombies back into people (ah la I Am Legend)?
Most people wouldn't really care a whole lot, sorry to say.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 04:08:48 pm »

I think the response would be "Oh goodie, a cure! Now I can stop killing the zombies."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »

I think the response would be "Oh goodie, a cure! Now I can stop killing the zombies."

Pretty much.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:44 pm »

More something like this:

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:24 pm »

How about if the first zombies you kill are your family?  Intentionally, as a gesture of mercy.

I'm pretty sure the cure would get an emotive response then.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »

How about if the first zombies you kill are your family?  Intentionally, as a gesture of mercy.

I'm pretty sure the cure would get an emotive response then.

No, not really.  I'd have to care about those characters first.  Just saying "they're your family" doesn't invoke any kind of emotional response when they die.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:04 pm »

What if the zombies were all children in cute outfits, and the cure was in a bottle just across the room but you can't get to it without killing a few. 

Then when you distribute the cure they all start crying because you killed their best friends!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »

Or you could just turn people into animals. They'd be a lot faster AND more intelligent than zombies. You could also make them as big as an elephant.
Or you know if you are turning them into animals, instead of going to the trouble of making them as big as an elephant, you could just make them into elephants.
Hahaha, that made me chuckle, thank you :P. An elephant apocalypse, someone should do it! Oh wait, Boatmurdered...

And I prefer "infected" zombies more than "undead" zombies. When I was a kid I really liked the "The last man on earth" movie, it may be a factor.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »

I don't really understand how people just get sick of a setting for games that is overdone. At the end of the day, we have thousands of fantasy, medieval, sci-fi, ww2, zombie, post apocalyptic, etc games. Hell, there are maybe 35 zombie games I have ever even heard of in my life. But thousands of some of those other settings. Why not get tired of all the cookie cutter sci-fi worlds out there right now, or all the modern warfare games coming out. Why not take a shot at the thousandth fantasy hack and slash game where you run through a beautiful world on the edge of destruction from demons or evil wizards.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »

I am a little sick of the current trend of zombies being in just about everything.
I usually don't mind if a zombie game takes the piss out of itself and does the whole LOLRETRO thing (Zombie Driver, Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising).

I do mind however if they try to take the whole zombie thing seriously. It just doesn't fly with me, zombies are cheap bullet bags and trying to staple on some half baked emotional story does nothing for me.

I also hate it when zombies are added to a game for no reason what so ever. The obvious there is the Red Dead Zombie DLC or any game that have or ever will contain Zombie Nazis. NOT EVIL ENOUGH AND TOO HUMAN FOR YOU?!

I think the one thing I hate the most 'bout zombies are that they're "safe". For example, instead of the much more duanting and emotionally crippling act of having to mow down hordes of people who have been driven mad from famine, a developer might choose to put down some sort of "biological plague" that turns peeps into zombies.
Cheaper, less effective, boring.

Also off topic a bit.
Siquo, I remember seeing that XKCD comic a while back and thinking that it would acutally make a pretty epic game.
Imagine killing one of the big bad bosses in the game and having it phantom leap into his/her dying mind, his/her life flashing before their eyes breifly explaining what turned a human being into such a hardarse bent on your destruction.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:05:20 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

I'm not really sick of zombie games, but I'm sick of stagnant themes and ideas in the current array of games. Granted there are exceptions, just not enough. But hey that's the case with just about any theme really. I do want to re-iterate the being a zombie aspect, the only games worth noting I'm aware of is L4D which is good but once you get bored of it, you're not likely to ever come back. Then Rogue Survivor, which is good at first but is ultimately too one dimensional. I know there are others, but I haven't seen any with gameplay that was anything more than a re-skinned player character with claws/bite animations.

Also the survival aspect, but I feel like that's still being better represented than actually being a zombie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7