Poll

Are you sick of Zombie games?

Yes
- 52 (33.5%)
No
- 103 (66.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?  (Read 16153 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Games... Aren't you sick of them yet?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:36 am »

Trends do tend to get tiring after a while. At first it was WW2. Now it's modern warfare and zombies.

There's this strange thing about zombie games though, that they're essentially straying from being purely about zombies anymore. We're now constantly getting some super-natural entities among zombies that just don't work like zombies anymore (glaring at L4D here). Even Resident Evil jumped from the mostly slow lumbering zombies to charging foreigners wielding weapons who's heads turn into aggressive tentacles... does this sound like zombies to anyone anymore?

They were just supposed to be living dead that hunger for flesh and overwhelm the living with their numbers. How does an exploding fat man or a chainsaw wielding giant with a bag over his head fit into this? Are these really "zombie" games anymore? To me they sound more like some other horror trope. You know. Mutants?

That and there's also games that move the focus from fighting zombies to how humans cope with the situation and cooperate (like Dead State). Hell, even the new Resident Evil game is supposed to focus on human-human conflict apparently (although at least this is Raccoon City again, so there's actual zombies in it).

Yeah and that. I don't know how plaga-infected humans are supposed to qualify as zombies. Sure, they are stuck in a mindless trance, but they do not qualify the undead part of being a real zombie. As you have said, those kind of zombie guys qualify more as mutants than undead zombies.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 09:12:12 am »

Id agree with what most guys say on here and its the fact its become a farce of same old shooters syndrome.

What I would like to see is one that actually portrays the survival aspect of a zombie apoc.

The only way this can really be done properly is in some kind of RPG skill base aspect.

:- Food/Drink ( craftable )
:- Paranoia / physchological / lonlyness ( think vampire:blood lines style with voices in your head etc)
:- Ammo ( crafting ? )
:- Clothing (crafting)
:- Ability to build bases/barricades and then try to protect them and serve as a survivor hub.
:- Clans/factions ( even in an zombie Apocolypse humans will turn on each other)
:- day/night cycles
:-Farming and animal breeding ( killer defence dogs  :P )
:- Coop posibilites
:- everything destructable
:- Dynamic world
:- Let it be F.U.N
From reading ive realised the game would end up as some kind of cross between Mad-max style world // s.t.a.l.k.e.r // L4D kind of game.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:49 am »

You basically just described what cataclysm roguelike is becoming.

But no, I am not tired of zombie games, I am tired of BAD zombie games.  L4d1+2 are good because they are hard (the multiplayer versus is fucking exciting) and they actually have a half decent story-line.  The resident evil series all have great story lines, are exciting, fun and have challenging puzzles, the shooter aspects of them are usually a last resort.  The old EVIL DEAD games are fun as hell just because they are rather comical and fun.  Dead rising is decent in concept, but it's not that great a game.  The horde of bad zombie games however are getting tiring. 
Nom nom nom

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:04:53 am »

Here's my 3 cents (2 cents, adjusted for inflation).

I'm not tired of zombie games.  I'm tired of first person shooter games.  About a third of which have zombies.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 10:17:59 am »

^This.
Everybody!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

I'm sick of games involving guns, zombies, puzzles, cars, spaceships, armies, jumping, cubes, dwarves, sports, sharp/pointy things and the colours brown and grey.  Anyone got a recommendation for me?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:40 am »

Theme Park.
But it might have some brown. I'd recommend Theme Hospital as it's better but the Bloaty Head treatment includes a pointy thing, and has more grey.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:11 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:39:01 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:24 am »

I'm still not tired of em, but I DO wish there were more of them that weren't just run and gun games.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:26 am »

I'm sick of games involving guns, zombies, puzzles, cars, spaceships, armies, jumping, cubes, dwarves, sports, sharp/pointy things and the colours brown and grey.  Anyone got a recommendation for me?

YootTower.  If you don't start your hotel at the Japanese waterfall, you won't get any brown.  There's no guns, zombies, puzzles, cars, spaceships, armies, jumping, cubes, dwarves, sports, or sharp/pointy things anywhere.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:22 am »

Zombies are not worse than aliens or monsters. I like them because they are fantasy AND related to the modern world at the same time. Note that I don't want to play a medieval or prehistoric (or futuristic) zombie game, I want a modern setting. There's something in people turning into animals and apocalypse atmosphere which makes me interested.

Or you could just turn people into animals. They'd be a lot faster AND more intelligent than zombies. You could also make them as big as an elephant.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:01 am »

Or you could just turn people into animals. They'd be a lot faster AND more intelligent than zombies. You could also make them as big as an elephant.
Or you know if you are turning them into animals, instead of going to the trouble of making them as big as an elephant, you could just make them into elephants.
Nom nom nom

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:33 am »

There need to be more games where you get to be a zombie, rather than just shoot them.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 12:01:08 pm »

There need to be more games where you get to be a zombie, rather than just shoot them.

Yeah, that would be a nice change of pace, since I don't hate zombie games, it's just that a ton of concepts are reused, including first person mode in a zombie game.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 12:02:45 pm »

Zombie Panic?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7