Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 86077 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD
« Reply #885 on: February 01, 2012, 08:14:50 pm »

If herros is still in

Find out what you missed
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:56 pm »

Kayle noticed a message from Herros on her PDA and typed a quick message back.

Encrypted message from Kayle Silvertaugh to Herros Machlan
No time right now, in a touchy situation. I'll fill you in when I can. Can you come to the Militech building? No need to be standing around outside, just be... nearby in case we need you. Varron should be near the building as well. Thanks, Herros.

Closing her PDA, she looked to Amatin, who was trying to spin things. I don't know if I'm good at indignant, but I can try... "I bought these modifications," Kayle said, indicating the laser pointer on her laser rifle and the red dot sight on the TAC-X9. "Perhaps your alarm is malfunctioning."

(Here's where having -1 to lying sucks... so I chose to tell a partial truth. :3)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 02, 2012, 12:17:16 am »

Narrow eyes, go to the MiliTech building and find out why there are theft alarms going off.

Sorry, normally I only read my own turn to save time <.< *note to self: Read other people's turns.*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:40:30 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 02, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

Wolfchild, as much as it pains me to say it, it really does irritate me when you don't really pay attention to anything. You could at least skim

Anyway, to you specifically? Nope, nothing happened. The party is on Centauri Prime, in Empire City, the capital of the Centauri Empire. The fleet admiral walked in and informed you guys about some stuff and also took the antagonist you encountered a while back to the hospital for using MRI to try and communicate with him. I have the situation planned out so any of you can go in there right now to resume the plot. But right now Kayle (SC), Jaffar (Dwarmin), and Kayle Amatin (HmH) decided to steal some experimental weaponry from the main building of this company called MiliTech (which manufactures a lot of Centauri stuff). Kayle decided to exit first and ended up triggering the theft alarms.

Zakroff (Adwarf) is dealing with a sidequest to eliminate a certain arms dealer's competition, Caplus (HEN) is messing around at the city's main reactor and getting himself killed,  and Varron (Talarion) is right outside the building (and hears the alarm, in case it wasn't implied, since alarms are loud) <- Talarion, read that.

Oh and I keep forgetting to squeeze in micelus. Somebody remind me after everyone's done with their actions. Thanks ^^

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 02, 2012, 12:40:44 am »

Okay, edited my action D:
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:19 am »

OOC: I have an idea on how to weasel out of this situation with no legal repercussions if I fail at bluffing, but it'll require some meddling with an undefined part of the Centauri lore.
DBZ, do I have your permission to define the dueling laws of the Centauri? Like if I mentioned an old clause in the Centauri laws somewhere saying 'In the aftermath of a duel fought over the truthfulness of a statement, the losing party is legally obliged to acknowledge that truth is at the winner's side'?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:59:56 am by HmH »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 02, 2012, 04:58:29 am »

And, since our glorious DM seems to have a penchant for overlooking me, Milia is currently messing around at the scrap heaps for no real reason. But it seems that DbZ is utilizing Schrodinger's Lesser Sidequest Railroad here so all is fine.

First, scan the area for dangerousness. Second, enter the office and rummage around. Look for paperwork, or their electronical equivalent.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:25 am »

Action: Jaffar hides the Organic Clockwork Rifle in his suit as best he can and plays along with the others.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:50 pm »

OOC: I have an idea on how to weasel out of this situation with no legal repercussions if I fail at bluffing, but it'll require some meddling with an undefined part of the Centauri lore.
DBZ, do I have your permission to define the dueling laws of the Centauri? Like if I mentioned an old clause in the Centauri laws somewhere saying 'In the aftermath of a duel fought over the truthfulness of a statement, the losing party is legally obliged to acknowledge that truth is at the winner's side'?

Hmm, I'll have to think about that.

Let's see, I need to define the five nations/scratch that I'll call them houses. Yeah, houses. The five houses each have a distinctive personality that's inherited genetically as well as culturally. That's not to say that they're all mindless robots with regards to culture that follow their masters, but you'll notice a tendency in each to gravitate toward a certain personality similar to how humans are often extroverted and so on on the myers briggs scale.

It's kind of like this (along with national colors :D):

Centauri: Impulsive, loyalist, creative
Ross: Elitist, aggressive, rebellious (Yes they are much like the French despite the patriotic aspects. :) )
Polarian: Industrious, anarchist, optimist
Aroth: Scientific, speculative, defensive
Cyrian: Elitist, aggressive, nationalist (?)

So to give an answer, I'm not sure. I'd expect the Centauri to instead take out their own weapons and gun you down, but I suppose that counts as dueling. Which, I guess, implies loyalty to some kind of honor code.

I'd say that if you could somehow and non-awkwardly challenge someone in the corporation to duel instead of simply calling the authorities, then perhaps.
Maybe they'd accept a group battle battle of sorts, perhaps virtual (a la Notch's proposal to Zenimax to substitute litigation with a quake tournament) though if you allow yourselves a disadvantage. Then they'd dismiss you as crazy and accept an easy win. Do remember that MiliTech also developed the androids you killed at the start of the game.

The way I'd see it is that you'd start spouting some stuff about how you'd be willing to "die instead of submit to a wrongful search," and go on from there.

I could revive the conversation system if you'd like.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:27:10 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 02, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »

A practice of loyalism suggests there's an evolved code of honor that makes people stick to the old government instead of seeking the better one. Therefore, I think that impulsive and loyalist Centauri would respect someone's wish to defend a lady's honor without resorting to a procedure as humiliating and invasive as body cavity search. Even more respect if it's got a healthy covering of ham, such as 'I REFUSE to see the TRUE PATRIOT of the Centauri Empire, SHE who defended YOU from a ROSS invasion, VIOLATED before my own eyes for a crime she DID NOT COMMIT! Pick your champion, MiliTech Corporation, for I am challenging you to a duel - HERE and NOW, BEFORE THE EYES OF THESE FINE CITIZENS! *swing my Silver Sword while the crowd of onlookers records it on their phones*'.

And no, I believe a communication system won't do us much good compared to a roll-based one. I mean, in order to get out of this situation through conversation alone, we'll need to know Centauri laws and customs, and only you have the right to define them 'on the fly'. Whlist with a roll-based system, we'll have a 1/2 chance to succesfully get off the hook, albeit with minor repercussions like a bounty the size of Jupiter on our heads.

Other questions:
You mentioned Aroth as 'defensive'. May that be because of Aroth philosophy claiming that humans, as long as they take to grow and as useful as they are when mature, are the most precious resource in someone's possession?
Also, a resource-poor communist regime can't possibly be as humanless and inefficient as Soviet communism, which could only survive due to overabundance of resources - human and otherwise - in the Russian territory. Thus, a military dictatorship is out of question. In my view of the Deep Space universe, Aroth communism can either be a form of primitivism or a computer-controlled economy. What is your opinion on this?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:33:48 am by HmH »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 02, 2012, 11:43:20 pm »

Also, Nationalist? There's only one regime I can think of known as Nationalists, and, uh, please, no. Cyrians may be highly mercenary and supremacist according to the lore for them so far, but they ain't Nazis. >.> If anything they're Capitalists taken to the extreme of MGS4 since they are the epitome of a war economy: probably at least 2/3rds of their gross income is from being hired as soldiers or mercenaries, and the rest is probably from weapon research and manufacture.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 02, 2012, 11:55:28 pm »

Hm. Varron seems more like an Aroth than a Polarian to me, just in the way I view his personality.

I also like how the only thing differentiating Ross and Cyrian is Rebellious vs Nationalist.

What more do you need?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 03, 2012, 12:47:36 am »

Other questions:
You mentioned Aroth as 'defensive'. May that be because of Aroth philosophy claiming that humans, as long as they take to grow and as useful as they are when mature, are the most precious resource in someone's possession?
Also, a resource-poor communist regime can't possibly be as humanless and inefficient as Soviet communism, which could only survive due to overabundance of resources - human and otherwise - in the Russian territory. Thus, a military dictatorship is out of question. In my view of the Deep Space universe, Aroth communism can either be a form of primitivism or a computer-controlled economy. What is your opinion on this?

I need to finish the wiki.

Aroth are not communists. They aren't a republic either. They're what is called an "alliance" (the wiki says republic, gotta fix that). Basically, the central government acts as mostly a police force, no more, but making sure that everyone works toward a common goal. Unlike the communist Cyrians, which resemble Stalinist Russia, the Aroth don't quite resemble any modern-day corporation.

Lemme make a quick outline:

The Aroth government has a strong military, relative to its weak governing power. That is left to the clans. There is no actual representation of the people in the government. Rather, the government acts as a police and military force composed of selected individuals from the largest clans, and limits itself to that. One could argue them as a military dictatorship to a weak extent, but the truth is that corporations play a large role in supplying the government with weaponry and thus have a great deal of control over them as well. Because the Aroth population is extremely small, the military funds itself not with taxes, but by fulfilling contracts with Aroth and non-Aroth corporations. So essentially, the Aroth Alliance is protected by a mercenary force that is sponsored by its own people. The Ross dislike them because there is no true representation in the government, explaining Caplus' passive bonuses.

The Aroth Alliance then basically run by research laboratories stationed on the three most notable Aroth planets--Valhalla, Caldr, and Arctus--which sponsor and equip the military. The military's role is to provide protection from foreign intrusion (rare, due to the desolate space and relative low value of keeping the territory) or raids on corporate bases (common, due to the fact that Aroth weaponry sell for a lot of money).

The Aroth make a lot of money through exporting tamper-resistant technology, but lack much of an internal economy. Due to the lack of self-sustainable agriculture, etc, the Aroth organize themselves in clans, which take matters of acquiring food, water, and other goods into their own hands. These clans live together and sustain themselves from a communal pool of goods that are purchased by designated merchants and shippers.

tl:dr Aroth have clans, which are like little communes, but are linked together via corporations and government, and are linked to outside economy due to dependence on imported stuff.

This means that a select few Aroth are actually GOOD at economics, primarily clan leaders and merchants.

Hence the defensive aspect. What I mean by defensive is that they are closely intertwined within a social network of sorts, and thus are obligated to defend each other to stay alive. This is more of a political thing rather than a personal thing. It's just that they are content with living where they live, because they can survive as they are without attracting too much attention from imperialists. They don't have the population or the manufacturing to win a war of attrition, so they do their best to only wage war when the stakes are at a minimum.

Also, Nationalist? There's only one regime I can think of known as Nationalists, and, uh, please, no. Cyrians may be highly mercenary and supremacist according to the lore for them so far, but they ain't Nazis. >.> If anything they're Capitalists taken to the extreme of MGS4 since they are the epitome of a war economy: probably at least 2/3rds of their gross income is from being hired as soldiers or mercenaries, and the rest is probably from weapon research and manufacture.

Nationalism is a huge driving force in practically everything pre-imperial era, where business started to take over.
Cyrians are nationalist because they (usually) support the growth of their nation. Cyrus was a nationalist leader who essentially got all the Cyrians to stop loitering and support their country.

I mean nationalist in looser terms than what you seem to think. An example of the kind of nationalism I mean would be the Scots from Braveheart. Not nazis.

Hm. Varron seems more like an Aroth than a Polarian to me, just in the way I view his personality.

I also like how the only thing differentiating Ross and Cyrian is Rebellious vs Nationalist.

Like I said, it's not everyone's defining personality. There's variation and you can definitely be an antisocial philosophical science guy regardless of your race.
Anyway, Polarians were the hardest for me to define because they're actually really diverse. They have a lot of local industry going on (I'll work it into the wiki after I read the scarlet letter...) because they're decentralized. And because they're decentralized, they're pretty diverse and open to a lot of subgroups forming within the nation.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 03, 2012, 01:49:23 am »

Mm, I realised that, I was just stating that he seems to fit into the generalisation more than he does of his own race. Actually kinda like me, for I am not a stereotypical Australian... But that gets confusing.

Anyways, is there anything you'd like help writing in the wiki (or otherwise) right now? I have a bit of free time on my hands, and I'd quite enjoy helping set up your world. Just a note if there is, however, I tend to do better with more fantastical writing than logical scientific writing. I, personally, think it's weird, considering I'm a very sciency person, but when I write I tend to lean less towards the less realistic stuff and get into completely made up cool-sounding theatrics. Although if I try I'm sure I could write up something that actually seems logical and consistent with real-life rules...

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 04, 2012, 02:55:32 am »

A plan started brewing in Amatin's mind. While the traders did... something, probably called for security, he turned to his comrades and whispered quickly:
"Alright, listen up. If - if - my bluff right now doesn't work out, I'm going to escalate the situation into a duel. I think there's a really old law stating that if a duel's outcome defines something true, then the one who loses the duel will have to publicly acknowledge it true. I'll make sure the duel is about us not having stolen anything from the MiliTech, so when we win, the corporation will be unable to press charges - we were in the shop, but, as they themselves have to state, we didn't steal anything at the time these alarms got triggered.
Kayle, when I challenge them to a duel, you shouldn't just stand by and let me get killed; I'm not much in fair combat, especially not when I have to hold back. Say that you should be able to defend your own honor and volunteer as our party's duelist. If they give you a choice of weapons, pick melee - that way, they won't have an excuse to remove onlookers from the room.
"
Amatin glanced at the traders again. No security yet. He was forgetting something... ah, yes, the most important part.
"By the way, one of you must explain the situation to Herros. Unless he kills those scanners, Jaffar and I will trigger the alarms again and my efforts will be for naught."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:57:56 am by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 107