Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 85911 times)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:09 am »

"That is what happens to anything when they fall that far and land on their head." Varron smirked slightly, nodding as he floated aimlessly in midair. Rapidly, he begins accelerating, heading around the collapsing spiked walls and to the steel door at the south. He swerved this way and that to avoid his fellow students. As he neared the door, he rapidly reversed the gravity field around him, accelerating... backwards, now. In effect, he started slowing down, timing it so that he could land on the bridge after cancelling his gravity field. He looked back over the arena once he landed, raising an eyebrow. "A-.... Passable." His fellow students -  and teammates - had his approval, for now.

Go to the door and wait for it to open, then walk through.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2011, 03:44:17 am »

I really like this one, but I don't want it to be "shoot this, shoot that" etc.
Well, that's combat, there's little else to do about it. Doing anything that relies on other players' success is too risky, because it decreases the chance of success dramatically, and there's a limit to what players can do on their own.
If you want to spice things up without spoon-feeding the players new opportunities, then creating a system to encourage teamwork may be a good idea. If powerful enough to be worth the effort, teamworking will make combat more intricate than just "shoot this, shoot that", and, as a side effect, will cause players to interact with each other more often.

Also, how can I make the intermissions a bit more interesting? As in, when there is no clear objective other than "go to point a to find out what to do?"
As a player, I've noticed that including interactive details into the narrative does a lot to provide opportunities for the party, thus making both combat and non-combat more interesting. In other words, when the players walk onto a street, GMs who say that there are "a tavern, an alchemist's shop, an armorsmithy and a tall black tower with a lightning rod on top of it" tend to have better games than those who only mention a tavern. Such games also tend to get derailed a lot, though, but at least it's the fun sort of derailing.

Amatin wiped the froth from his mouth. Battle rage, so common in Seathunders, made him deadly in close quarters combat, but also caused him to rush into things without thinking - he had to stop shooting to make sure he doesn't do something stupid. That caused all sorts of incidents: for example, once, while trying to corner a Koritan Tiger, Amatin ordered his team to "Eliminate all witnesses! Start with the women and children!", even though the intended meaning was along the lines of "get the civilians somewhere without windows, it's about to rain guts and I don't want them to see that". Fortunately, the squad's second-in-command knew about Amatin's condition and corrected the order before it was too late.
Take a laser cannon from one of the androids, pick up all of the ballistic ammo lying around and harvest the dragon's fangs. Then leave.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:59 am »

Herros realised that Milia Might have an atatchment to that bow of hers, so on the way to the lab her decided to strike up a conversation

"Hey you faught pretty well back there, you must be very good do that much damage with such a primitive divice. I was thinking of making a better bow for you ... don't worry you would still use it the same, but you would find it easier to put power behind it, just wanted to make sure u were not attatched to you're current bow is all"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:09 am »

"So... you're a mechanic then?" she said, returning to his story.

Cole wondered a moment. He didn't really call himself anything.

"You could call me that. I'm also a tinker, thief, mercenary, scrapper, janitor and combat engineer, among other things. I do what I have to do to earn passage from one job to the next, no more, no less."

Jaffar Cole then gingerly stripped the braincase out of the last android-he had been carefully working the entire conversation. He held it up and inspected it. This bio-mechanical stuff, he didn't actually know about-it was new to him, at least. He was very eager to sink his tools into it.

He looked back up to Kayle. He heard her speak of her accomplishments. She seemed to be a career military women. Destined for a glorious death, in any case.

"Sense life...I guess that explains how you saw the Dragon before any of us. Sounds pretty useful to have in a pinch. You said you took an entire ship? That's pretty impressive. I've gone on a few those of myself-Metalheads usually need tech guys like me to disable defenses and open doors and whatnot. To be fair, I was mostly there to cleanup what the Marines slagged all to Hell...
"

He remembered that all too well. The local government was arresting some local smugglers, and he had been hired to help take the ship. It was a bloody mess-half the marines boarding pods refused to engage and he ended up cutting his way to one of them while the others died of exposure. On the ship, it seemed the Marines couldn't go a foot without hitting a sniper in a rat hole or a laser trip wire cutting off someones ankle. Nasty business. Jaffar Cole has got to use his mace that day-some crazy pirate hopped on Horka Dust had jumped at him point blank, bleeding red and black from his sinuses. Crazy bastard had been hiding in the rafters above Jaffar, like it was some gorram Horror movie. Well, he had won that day. He might have broken a rib, but he walked away, and that guy didn't.

He though, If this Kayle Silvertaugh has done such a thing as that without suffering grievous losses, then he could probably trust her..,the fact that she led from the front impressed him. Some general on a swivel chair, making decisions without seeing the consequences, tends to lose his perspective-maybe thinks it's a board game, instead of peoples lives.

He grunted.

"Well, are you going to take any trophies to hang over your fireplace? I see that Blue Aroth fellow is already going to town on the Dragons teeth."

He chuckled a bit. No one had fireplaces in Space-maybe it could be considered absurdist humor?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:18 am »

Nice narratives... actually, they're quite amazing ;)

But one thing, just saying--why wouldn't anyone have a fireplace, at least planetside? They might not be efficient, but they look nice :)
You're right that you wouldn't have one in space though, obviously.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:49 am »

OOC: Pheeeew. Actually, I wasn't really signing up for roleplaying, as I find it exhausting to write and read ten paragraphs each update, but don't worry about that when writing your stuff (it is well written, I think). This seems to be a good RtD and I'm not the kind of guy to flunk out on such minor stuff.

I've GM'd and shamefully abandoned (by ceasing to update) a few RtDs before, and from my experiences... leave the players a lot of leeway to do what they want, keep the plot fluid - but stick to your plan. You've got to find your middle between railroading and completely free-form. You're going to want a main plot and you're going to want to not let go of that fact. Therefore, you should try to limit intermission time and sooner or later guide everyone back into some sort of group event. Avoid splitting the party. Strategically placed humorous elements, of course, are always welcome, but this seems to be a more serious kind of RtD.

OOC end.

Milia was relieved that the examination had ended and that they had scored that well. Not perfect, but she hadn't really expected to score perfect either. Now that the threat had ended, she would start recollecting her arrows and counting her kills.
Milia noticed that Herros tried to strike up a conversation or something. Her language skills were not the best, which hampered understanding somewhat. Even after attending the academy for that long a time, she wasn't fluent in the common language because she neither had talent for languages nor did she associate and socialize with people much, being much more of a nature person herself. She had been quite a bit scared of moving to the big city at first, but she had woved to see as much of the galaxy as possible, so she had faced her fears.
"Excuse me, but could you repeate that again?"
Herros wasn't easy to understand too, but after a bit of time Milia understood that Herros offered to make her a new bow. If that was an attempt at getting closer to her, she wasn't interested, but she at least wanted to see just how good at crafting he was. She doubted that he had much experience in making a bow. So many things are to be considered. Her own had been made by the most experienced craftsman and bowyer of her enclave, and she felt a little sting. He had been a good man. But everything has an end.
"Please, go aheade. This bow has been precious to me, but it mighte be time to move on. I doubt that your attempt at an bow will be worthe much, but I might thinke of you too lowly."
Someone calling her bow, such a gracious and elegant weapon and craft, a primitive tool probably should prove that he's truly better. She was aware that she issued a challenge to the mechanic, and she hoped that he would accept and prove her wrong.
Oh, right. She almost forgot to retrieve her arrows.

Action: Retrieve arrows, do kill count, prepare to leave.

OOC again: Pheeeew, don't expect that sort of wordiness from me too often. That's almost as bad as GMing.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2011, 11:46:51 am »

OOC: Yeah?

For reference, I'll add any Lore I assume or make up under a bullet list for you to incorporate into the game, change it as you will or ignore completely. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/list]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:30:11 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2011, 01:25:09 pm »

OOC:

Your lore is surprisingly similar to what I had in mind, although more in-depth. Nice writing, actually, you're really good at this.

I usually try not to reference real-life Earth to avoid cliches, but that's primarily because I've tried countless times to write up a prologue outlining how the races got here in the first place. They all sounded quite awkward, so I just gave up on that and decided I'd try to distance myself from real-life. I actually do have ideas of what Terrans are going to be, but they're pretty much limited to Earth and mostly isolated.

Spoiler: Basic Plot Outline? (click to show/hide)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2011, 02:11:12 pm »

As a GM of him myself, I can speak from experience when saying Dwarmin's good at coming up with things you'll want to stealthily work into the lore/plot and try to act like you'd planned them all along. :3

Kayle laughed. "We could have used a tech guy! I swear that the combat was the smoothest part of that mission. Every door was sealed down and we had to go through the monotonous, time-consuming task of finding keycards and passcodes on our fallen enemies. It took ages and if we hadn't had to have done it we could have gotten in, caught all the pirates by surprise, and been home in time for a promotion rather than continually having to fight battles of attrition because they had managed to fortify each area fairly well." She wasn't all that bitter; the fighting had been fun and a good test of their skills, but the operation wasn't as efficient as she would have liked.

"Aye, that's what I do. It doesn't interfere with my vision normally, but were I to do this -" she lifted her helmet so it covered her face "-then I would see you as a pure red silhouette. It's very useful." Even through the neosteel helmet, she could see Jaffar working on the android slowly and methodically. She lowered the helmet again, since it would be impolite and even a bit silly to keep hiding behind it while she spoke. He asked of trophies, and she shook her head. "No, I usually only take the IDs of my fallen allies. It is honorable to bring them back to the General so they can be placed with the others. You do have a good idea, though; I think I'll look around and see if I can find any more ammo for my rifle. We will speak more later?" she said, leaving it open for refusal so as to be polite. Some of the enemies had fired energy weapons, so she went to one of the corpses and checked its ammunition to see if it was compatible. If not, she'd just take the rifle. She could always use another weapon, just in case.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:48 pm »

"Well, any time would be a pleasure, Kayle. Your not like alot of met...er, women I've met before. Now, if you'll excuse me..."
    Jaffar figured he could stop calling her "Metalhead". Polarics could be so condescending.

He began prodding an androids legs, making it spark and twitch. Interesting-it used some sort of flexible silvery wire that replicated muscle fiber-and smelled faintly of...bananas? What the...

Jaffar cut off a piece, and spooled it up carefully into a small drum like a fishing line. Well, he would have plenty of time to inspect all this stuff later, he hoped.

Spoiler: Lore! (click to show/hide)

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: August 22, 2011, 11:57:52 pm »

OH GOD THE READING!!
    Grab one of those guns and some ammo and reclaim that obsidian. Then leave the arena of pointy walls
    New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: August 27, 2011, 07:31:42 am »

Fricken' bump man!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
    • Cold as ice.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:49 am »

Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: August 27, 2011, 11:37:41 am »

Ah yes, sorry about that. My cousin came yesterday, and I already had the actions written up. I'll just write the game event and it should be good.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Space Wizards!
    « Reply #149 on: August 27, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »

Roll 9

Locations:
    Centauri University of the Unknown
    -Exam Arena
    -Military hall (Everyone)

Actions:

Lots of stuff.
    Kayle Silvertaugh-[3] Kayle sheathed her blade and took off her helmet. The smell of burnt, charred flesh lingered in the air from the charred, mutilated corpse of one of the lizards. Even after it had cooled down, the musty odor of blood and gore continued to try her senses. This was a smell she was familiar with, though. After years of combat experience, no amount of blood could dampen her senses. Her will was too strong to be broken by a mere gust of smell.
    Kayle walked over to a robot to check if the enemy had been carrying some energy cells destined for her laser rifle. She found a few cells in one of the bodies, but most of them were too heavily damaged from combat and none of them had Cyrian-level craftsmanship. They'd work, but they wouldn't be as effective.
    Making her way to the bridge, she turned to Jaffar, who was busy scavenging some useful-looking parts from what's left of the battlefield.

Jaffar turned to face her, still holding a startlingly realistic eyeball by the back wire, a brown kidney-shaped fuel filter in his other hand.

...LONG EXPOSITION ENSUES...

Afterwards, the two agreed to talk later while Jaffar looks for some more parts.
    Lots. Of. Stuff.
    Jaffar Cole-[6] Jaffar began prodding at a nearby android. He got out a small knife from his toolbox and was pleased to feel the robot's armor give way without any hindrance. He revealed its skeleton and inner workings--slightly less realistic than the outside, but still modeled around human sections. Except for apparati such as the fusion cell, of course, which was located in place of the stomach. He removed the bolts holding the fusion cell in place, and lifted it out. Satisfied to hear it hum with the intensity of thousands of nuclear reactions occurring at once. He flipped the emergency switch, and turned it off before disconnecting it from the fuel tank.
    Jaffar wondered what kind of fuel the cell used. Most fusion reactors ran on either tritium and deuterium or simply deuterium. But this fuel tank was too light to hold deuterium. He held it sot ha the light reflected off of the metal label, which read:
    Experimental 3He, 5lr
    Huh. The tank felt impossibly light, certainly too light to power a fusion cell. Jaffar failed to identity the term "3He," but he placed the cell and its supply tank in his backpack anyway and closed the zipper. Jaffar continued to butcher the robot, excavating various components such as joints, eyes, muscle fibers, and the like from the fallen robot's corpse. He removed a strange silvery wire, one that smelled almost like...bananas? He rolled it up and placed it in a storage drum like a fishing line, before finishing his work.
    Collect spare ammo from the robots.
    Caplus Orange-[5] Caplus collects a few extra magazines from the enemies and stuffs them in his suit's ammo compartment.
    Grab one of those guns and some ammo and reclaim that obsidian. Then leave the arena of pointy walls
    Ivan the Adventurer-Ivan reached for a gun, but couldn't put his finger around the trigger due to his fingers being bandaged. He was forced to use his elbows to pick up the gun.
    Herros Takes a second to use energy surge to recharge his Rifle, then he starts picking up pieces of robot and lizzard, "Don't want to waste good resources" Once somewhere that could possibly be called a workshop, herros creates a mechanically assisted recurve bow, the bones from the lizard make the flexible shaft, with metal re-inforcing it and pullies to enable easier pulling of the chord. A cappacitor will electrically charge the arrows as they are shot
    Herros Machlan-[4+1] Herros walked over to the field of dead bodies and proceeded to tear the dragon's flesh open with the intent of acquiring some bones. After wrestling out the poor thing's rib cage, Herros picked out four prime ribs and got to work with some gears and metal pieces that he acquired from the robots. He didn't have all the equipment he needed, such as drills and cutting tools--and he didn't have a bowstring, but other than that he had the materials needed. After some time, he was able to carve and arrange the ribs into a compound bow shape as well as sketch out some plans for the whole thing so that he can focus on it later.
    Acquired Bow Plans!
    Action: Retrieve arrows, do kill count, prepare to leave.
    Milia Kurasaki-Milia took some time to scan the battlefield in order to retrieve some of her arrows. Walked past Herros and caught him trying to wrestle open a rib cage with his hands. Herros noticed Milia a bit late, but when he did he called out to her and walked over with four large, bloody ribs in his hands.
    "I was thinking I could make you a new bow, a stronger, better one. I managed to acquire some dragon bone, and from the looks of it, it has some very respectable elastic properties. I think it'll work well as the frame of a compound bow."
    To his surprise, Milia didn't say anything. She took a moment to think about what he just said. Herros believed he could outdo her enclaves best craftsman?
    "Wait, say that again."
    "I think I can make you a more powerful bow."

Yup. That's what he wanted.
    "I'll have you know that my bow was made by the best craftsman I know. I really doubt your attempt will be any better. However, you can go ahead and try, I'd like to see what you're capable of."

[5] After that, Milia collected three arrows and recalled her kills--one dragon, three lizards, and one android. Decent, she guessed. She did manage to take out the arrows without damaging them. Gained Arrow Recovery +1
    Take a laser cannon from one of the androids, pick up all of the ballistic ammo lying around and harvest the dragon's fangs. Then leave.
    Amatin Seathunder-Amatin spent some time grabbing a laser rifle and some ammunition, before taking a set of dragon fangs from the dragon's mouth and leaving.
    Go to the door and wait for it to open, then walk through.
    Varron Carse-Varron joins as...

GAME EVENT:

The eight proceeded to enter through the opening steel door. They were led to a series of utility corridors until they came to hatch on the floor. Their guide, opening the hatch with the flip of a switch on the wall, led them through the hatch as the hissing of pneumatics signaled the opening of the hatch.
    The group came to a large circular room through its ceiling via a spiraling staircase that lined the walls. The room, held up by four large steel struts, was directly below the arena. There was a spiraling staircase in the middle, as well, which led to the primary stairwell. This is the place where everything is prepared beforehand. Today is the start of spring vacation at the university, so the room is mostly empty save for a lone soldier sharpening his/her sword on a grinder on the far side of the room. During the vacation, the halls are generally flooded with administrators and soldiers seeking training apart from the main courses, not with students.

This room is perfect for those planning to train in the arena above, but not for graduates. The guide led the group through the staircase in the middle, leading them to their destination--mostly--the university's rather impressive grand hall. The hallway was absolutely magnificent, with gleaming royal-red metal walls looming upwards to a pointed arch at the top. The sides were decorated with struts of Gold-Steel alloy, chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and rather nice-looking furniture decorated the room. The sides of the room housed doorways that led to their own respective wings of the university, with numerous windows into space being installed at the top. This was the university the group knew of.

Immediately, the group began to scan the area, looking for what to do. Ideally, they were supposed to head to the graduation ceremony at the other side of the hall. However, there was quite a bit to do--the university had facilities of almost every type, including a laboratory and a workshop, which were both down the hall. The Guide spoke up.
    "Alright, ideally, you should head straight down the hall to get your diploma. You finished the... exam faster than we'd expected, though, and most of the audience hasn't arrived yet. Only some of them have, and it's not going to begin until all of the invited guests are here. That  means that you've got a little leeway to get something done here, be it to build something, look something up in the library, try an experiment on something else, whatever. We've even got a shooting range and a number of shops in the entrance wing. This place is practically a floating city if I do say so myself."

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)
    Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107