Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 85915 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Roll 72: ...
« Reply #1395 on: June 02, 2012, 03:59:53 am »

Action 1: Follow the group, not much use in my skills right now.
Action 2: Get to the medical bay and ask if I could obtain some medicine. Also see if anyone could fashion a proper dagger out of the cleaver.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:23 am »

"Locyrmor was supposedly like this," Kayle said, taking a seat on the Valaross's corpse. She patted the area next to her for Jaffar to sit, if he wanted. "Wild and verdant. Cyrians fought and clawed and struggled their way to supremacy among the native life... conquered it like we did most of the solar system. Wasn't such a good idea, that. Look at Locyrmor now." She sighed and leaned forward, elbows on knees. "We traded a harsh beauty for a harsh sterility. Make no mistake; I take pride in my heritage. No one is a better warrior than a Cyrian... but we're not a people to judge the long-term consequences of our actions. Sometimes I wish we were."

"I doubt your people could have known what lengths the Aroth would go to..." Jaffar said sadly, moving into place beside her and taking her hand again.

He reflected-while the popular idea was that the Aroth had destroyed the planet wholly, in truth, the Cyrians had heavily damaged the planet themselves, long before the Aroth even arrived. The planets ecosystem collapsed harshly, much faster than it would have normally-and with little chance of recovery.

He was surprised to hear this confession from Kayle, though, and shared his own.

"My own people also settled a harsh world-though, you might not guess it. Instead of fighting it, we walled it off-let it flourish, with as little interaction from us as possible, while our cities are hidden away-and, we could always afford to move our production off world. I hope to take you there one day, Kayle. It's actually alot more dangerous than this place, if you can believe it. Which is why I'm sure you'd love it."

Kayle smiled, looked down, and shook her head. "You're quite the flatterer, aren't you, Jaffar? I can't say I don't appreciate it, though." She thought about what he had said, the philosophy behind it, as she ate the bar. "I think it does make sense. Would you want some weak-willed simpering female, fit only to tend the house in your absence? Or do you want a real woman, one who can stand by your side in thick and thin, one who you can trust to watch your back in the most dangerous situations... one who's willing to fight for you?" she asked, looking at him.

Jaffar thought a moment, mouth quirking in amusement. Talk about a loaded question!

"In theory, the chauvinist ideal would have me labor for my love, for her to tend the home and me to protect the land.

In reality...the galaxy is too dangerous for that. None of us can afford to appear fragile, out here in the black. We have to be strong. Or it all goes to the Dire Rows..."

He turned to Kayle.

"I think, I would want a woman with steel in her spine. A real fire breather. Long of tooth and claw. Tough scales and long billowing wings..." He finished smiling, having described a Dragon-and, perhaps Kayle herself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:50:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 02, 2012, 06:01:37 am »

"I doubt your people could have known what lengths the Aroth would go to..." Jaffar said sadly, moving into place beside her and taking her hand again.

Kayle shrugged. "They didn't do to us anything we wouldn't have done to them, had we the technology. I can easily see us utilizing terraforming as a first strike, not a last resort. It's how my people are, Jaffar." She placed her other hand on top of his, holding it between hers.

"My own people also settled a harsh world-though, you might not guess it. Instead of fighting it, we walled it off-let it flourish, with as little interaction from us as possible, while our cities are hidden away. I hope to take you there one day, Kayle. It's actually alot more dangerous than this place, if you can believe it. Which is why I'm sure you'd love it."

"I would like that. A safari on the Polaric homeworld." She grinned. "Hunting is more fun with someone you're close to. A chance to go out, explore... share some danger, some laughs, some thrills... I've always enjoyed nature and exploring." She crossed her legs. "This wasn't my favorite tour of duty, but I fondly remember it. My unit was contracted for a minor guarding job. There wasn't any combat, just a fear from some suit that another company would try to steal their secrets. The lab we patrolled was located out in the wilderness, far from anything. Tyrin and I would take walks when we weren't on duty."

She looked up, reminiscing. "The peace was nice, for a change. Our favorite place to go was beautiful in its simplicity; a simple mossy basin at the bottom of a minor waterfall. I've always wanted to go back someday, maybe after I retired. But I think I could be persuaded to take you there before then."

"In theory, the chauvinist ideal would have me labor for my love, for her to tend the home and me to protect the land. In reality...the galaxy is too dangerous for that. None of us can afford to appear fragile, out here in the black. We have to be strong. Or it all goes to the Dire Rows... I think, I would want a woman with steel in her spine. A real fire breather. Long of tooth and claw. Tough scales and long billowing wings..."

"First a kyrhawk, now a dragon?" Kayle said, grinning. She slugged his shoulder. "I'd prefer to remain a woman, thank you very much! Animals may make good pets, or be a challenge to overcome -" she thumped the corpse they sat upon for emphasis "- but they aren't as good a companion or as interesting a challenge as another human being. I'm happy to see you have some sense. I knew I liked you for some reason," she said teasingly. After a moment of comfortable silence for Jaffar to finish his bar, Kayle turned to him again. "Tell me more about your homeworld."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 02, 2012, 07:19:22 am »

Jaffar took the slug with measured stoicism. "My Lady, I think you dented my armor..." he said, smiling

"Polaris Prime? For one, it smells alot better than this world..." Jaffar responded, grinning, and wafting his hand in front of his face melodramatically.

Jaffar then spoke more earnestly-it had been a long time...and his voice took on a wandering, dreamlike quality.

"Polaris Prime...we all call it Home. We have these giant trees we call 'Ironwood', they're as wide as the gun on a battlecruiser, and live for thousands of years...they've got this deep, rich hardwood feel-nothing I can describe. It's primordial. Powerful.  We don't cut down these trees-not legally anyway. We do like to mark them with these specialized woodshaping Nanos-if you have a message you want to set on for people to see for a long time. Sometimes people who get married put their vows in an Ironwood...

The Ironwood stretch for hundreds of miles-you could hop from tree to tree and circumnavigate the world without ever touching the ground...these forests they call the 'Wildelunds'.

The Northern regions, where I was born, are called the 'Highlands'. The Kyr-Hawks nest there. You can usually see them, circling around their aeries, fighting and looking for mates...you'll hear them first, though...hmm. Like this.

Jaffar paused a moment, then made a warbling, whistling cry that sounded something like "Akreekyrrrrr-har..." It sounds quite eerie-the reproduction is very good. Jaffar is surprised himself he remembered it so well.

"That's the call of an unmated Kyr-Hawk. Essentially, 'I'm single and looking for a nice woman." Jaffar grinned,

"Ahh, next...we don't have any oceans-too small-but, we have some freshwater lakes that certainly count, and many of them are almost as deep as an ocean. Sport fishing is fun. Because the fish are big enough to eat you back if they pull you into the water...

The Southern colonies are alot warmer, we like to spend time down there in the Winters if we can afford it...that's "Autumnus" region, where our largest cities are. Most of our metropolises each have a distinct claim to fame, you see? One's entirely at the bottom of a cold water trench, Uisce-Baile...another was built around the thermals of a quiet Volcano, Tiruinean (named after the  heroic explorer who founded it)..we've even got a city that flies around in the sky, Aer-Caisleán.

I lived in a town called Mhórcnoc-Grand Hill-a town entirely into the side of a steep cliff. My bedroom windows faced out into a gorge a thousand feet down. Which, is why I'm not afraid of his heights."

Jaffar smiled, and made an arching incline with his hands...

"...Alot of the rest of the world is high, high mountains-so high into the atmosphere you'll die from lack of air before reaching the top..."

And then he made them into a declining angle.

"...down to little valleys, with deep lochs and heavy vegetation. Strong, wide rivers and falls are common-and deadly. Weather is almost universally cold, overcast, windy, rainy and cloudy. It makes for the most amazing sunrises, the rare clear skies we get.

...My people say, when you're travelling on Polaris, one never walks straight-you're either swimming, hiking downhill, uphill-or falling down."

Jaffar laughed a moment, turning to watch the amused glitter in Kayle's eyes.

"You can guess, I certainly had my share of my bumps and bruises when I was a kid..."

Jaffar trails off, but one gets the sense he could talk for hours and not stop. But, it's not that, that makes him pause...it's the depressing fact that he knows he can never go back Home-not unless major political forces are aligned in his favor to lift his banishment. This pain shows in his face, for a moment, but he bears it. He always has.

But, maybe now he doesn't bear it aone.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:25:15 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 02, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »

"It sounds wonderful. A lot better than what you would see if you came to my homeworld." Kayle rested her chin on her hands. "The surface is entirely covered by a thin poisonous fog that reaches up to the stratosphere. No plants there grow because they were unable to adapt to the climate change and resulting toxins in the atmosphere. What few animals there are are carnivorous and seem to eat each other - and the occasional Cyrian. Those that die that way deserve it, though. Only an idiot or an exile roams far enough away from our settlements to find one, and if they can't defeat it, well..." she shrugged.

"We've done a lot of work to reclaim the surface, though. It will probably take several lifetimes, if ever, to see a hint of plantlife back on Locyrmor..." She sighed. "But the Cyrian people aren't as hostile as their homeworld. Sure, there are those of us who left to become space pirates or bandits... but the only difference between them and, say, an Aroth that left to do the same thing is that the Cyrian is actually going to be good at it. It may not be as nice as your homeworld, but I would still like to take you there someday, Jaffar, and I think my friends and family in Adaephli Company would welcome you."

She smiled. "And... you do that call a little too well. Are you trying to tell me something?" she asked playfully.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 02, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

Jaffar responded in kind, smiling sheepishly.

"Oh, I guess I did have alot of time to practice...

I guess it worked, because I found you, right? A Beautiful Warbird...watch how you soar."

With that, Jaffar felt something click.

He leaned forward, and chanced a quick kiss, lightly brushing Kayles lips-they tasted salty, sweet and earthy-like raindrops on Polaris Prime. He held it for one breathless moment, living in the past and the present simultaneously...then, in a casual motion, left the past behind-not tossing it away-more like putting an old, venerable book onto the shelf, for a deserved retirement. From now on, Jaffar was in the present, with her.

Though his blood up, swiftly demanding more-so much more-Jaffar then drew back, his moss green eyes speculative and excited-to see how Kayle would respond...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 02, 2012, 02:38:34 pm »

Kayle blinked, caught off-guard. She hadn't expected such a move from him... not that it was unwelcome, just surprising. When he drew back, she smiled gently and stood. "You're quite bold. I like that, but I think we'd better wait for more appropriate surroundings before we see how far your courage goes..." She extended a hand to help him to his feet. "...I'm quite interested in finding out."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 02, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »

Jaffar stood up with Kayle's help, a bit shaky in the knees. He hadn't thought himself a particularly brave person. Maybe Kayle brought out the best in him.

"Mmmm...Yeah, acid spitting spider lizards have a tendency to ruin these tender moments. I've watched the Horror-holovids too, and I know what happens to young couples who make out when there's monsters around..." he commented, grinning, lively humor in his voice.

"...and, I'm interested too." He commented, wondering how far it might have gone, in better circumstances. Or, who was to say this hadn't been the perfect time?

Almost as an afterthought, he mentioned. "...ah, and you should know, I've keyed you into my armors genetic locks, Kayle. If for any reason, you need to haul me out of my suit-maybe to slug me for being a such a guy-just reach behind my ear..." he pointed to the spot. "...and press the indent."

To Jaffar, at least, this a sign of deep trust-akin to giving someone else the keys to the front door of his house.

"You could ask how I got your DNA, but that'd ruin the fun..." he finished, quirking an eyebrow. Naturally, he had taken a few strands of dark hair that he had found entwined in his own helmet.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 02, 2012, 04:04:32 pm »

"There's not much of a threat left from the flamethrower squad... one is disabled anyway, the other is on the edge of death. The repeater guys are still too lively for my taste, though...
Aargh, gotta hate that crossbow reload mechanism. Can't someone invent a magazine for that thing? Going to have to ask the tech people."

Finish off #2 if nobody else does. Otherwise, concentrate on the repeater people, disabling their weapons.
Using a bow, of course. Iirc Herros' has better stats, so if plot allows me to, use that one.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »

"If we live through this damned mission I'll invent one for ya, but my point was the explosions from the reactors should deal some damage to those nearby so its a win-win situation if you manage to make the shot." Zakroff said as he fired off a few more pistol rounds, and ducked back into cover.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 09, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »

Bump? Whose action is missing?

Did my and Sercs exposition chase everyone away? O-o

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 09, 2012, 10:51:06 pm »

I actually have the Iesac side done, I just need to do the Vulcanus part.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Surprise Roll 58!
« Reply #1407 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:38 pm »

Roll 76

Amatin folded his guns and unsheathed his sword. he two soldiers in front of him looked at him, exhausted, but still making efforts to reengage in combat. Their suits allowed them to get back up and attempt to aim, [3] so Amatin detonated the parts of their bodies exposed by the gaps in their armor. One flew back, finished off by the blow, while the other gripped at his chest and made gasping noises, the detonation having damaged one of his lungs.

Amatin walked over and kicked him in the head, knocking the repeater out of his hand. He then climbed up the ladder, holding both the repeater and sword in one hand and climbing with the other. He reached the top of the ladder to find an almost-dead soldier crawled up to the top of the ladder, in a pool of blood, pointing his flamethrower straight toward Amatin.
[6] Amatin grabbed the repeater and fired it quickly, finishing off the soldier. His hand wrung in pain from the sudden force, so Amatin fixed the arm brace on the back of the weapon, which also helped to heft it around.

Varron moved in toward Amatin and the LMG gunners. As he went, he eviscerated the soldier underneath the dragon. The dragon let go of the individual and backed away as Varron lifted him into the air finished him off with 88 True damage, and flung his corpse out of the way.

Milia finished off soldier #3 with an arrow de grâce to the head. She then [6] shot soldier #1, aiming over his shoulder to hit the reactor. The arrow dented the casing, causing the dented spot to begin to glow red, then yellow, then white. The soldier tried to open his suit to get out but the reactor overheated, turning the suit and the soldier inside into a pool of glowing slag. Hot gas shot out of the tanks as they burst, then simply dispersed as the pressure became too low for fusion to occur.

Milia and Zakroff headed through the ditch and met with Amatin and Varron on the other side.

The party approached the center of the dig site. There was a large octagonal platform hung over the drill pit, with the stairwell extending into the pit attached to one side.
At the bottom of the drill pit there was a roughly circular hole leading into a dark cavern of sorts. A strange, thick, indescribable smell emanated from the pit.

Spoiler: Vicinity (click to show/hide)

--------

Caplus smiled. His suit allowed him to go... further than the others when exploring in certain situations. Like right now.
He stood up and approached the pitcher plant. It gave off an aura of something... disgusting. It wasn't a direct feeling, Caplus could distinguish between it and a normal feeling of disgust. This one... it was magical.

He double-checked to make sure his shield was still on, then reached out and grabbed the lip of the pitcher. He heaved himself in, shaking the plant slightly, but less than he had expected. He then hurled himself over the edge into the pool of thick blood-red liquid.

He sank down to the bottom of the pitcher. He looked up--the jungle canopy was invisible from within the plant. The plant itself was about three meters in height... Caplus thought he might have underestimated the sheer amount of digestive enzyme in the liquid. He was grateful that his shield still worked, maintaining a solid two centimeters of space between the fluid and the surface of his suit.

He found [3] items!
[6] Acquired Purple Mana Crystal!
[1] Acquired Skull and Crossbones.
[5] Acquired Digested Thorngun!

Kayle returned with the others to the corpse of the beast they had killed. She observed its head... it was shot in the head and killed, but the exit wound was surrounded by burnt tissue. That means Jaffar had killed it. How heroic!

She grabbed a cleaver and went on her way, handing Jaffar a snack as well.
(+1 to intellectual actions next turn)

Jaffar picked up the crest, held it in both hands, and examined it. It was a row of parallel plates attached to a fragment of the Valaross' skull. The bones themselves were nothing special, but his wizard sense kicked in and indicated that this item was good for magic. Very good, in fact. He packed up it for later.

--------

Aduin ignored the man. The military people would talk about military-related stuff--unrelated to what he had in mind. He sensed a great power in the cleaver he had sliced off the body of that monster. There emanated a sense of power that he figured could be adapted into some sort of magical weapon.
He headed into the building that was off to the side. This one had a large neon sign over it, and after some fiddling with distance, his Reader told him that it said "bar." He approached the entrance, but first had to be looked over by the two guards posted.
"We're sorry," his voice sounded less than sincere.
"We don't want blood in the bar."
Aduin looked over his chest wound.
"It's disinfected and healed. It'll help me make friends if I appear to have survived a confrontation."
"You should get a medic."
"You're picking on me, aren't you?"
[5] He silently uttered some words under his breath.
"Hey Bork," asked the other guard.
"Use code names!"
"Right. Could you just look over his weapons?"
"Can't you?"
"I'm blind, remember?"
"..."

[5] Aduin, with a wave of his hand, asserted his way around the guards and headed into the bar. Outside, he could hear their conversation:
"No you're not... why would they put two blind men in the same squad. That doesn't make sense."
"You're not blind, you just made fun of him because he's a border folk!"
"He's right in front of us you [ROSS EXPLETIVE]. Can't you be more polite?"

Aduin chuckled to himself. The blindness would wear off within twenty minutes or so. Long enough to cause a spectacle, he thought.
The bar itself was nothing to be surprised at. Bladewood flooring gave the false impression of luxury--the wood itself was much softer than the blades of the tree. Incandescent bulbs hung overhead from tethered girders. There were just eight round tables with four seats fixed to the stems, and half of them were occupied. Most of the people here were Ross soldiers with their helmets off. Some were freelancers who came to watch the debate that the political conference would likely entail.
Someone's been watching the FUN Network*...
*Freelancer's Union News Network

He spied a man who looked somewhat familiar. He ordered a drink first--the first thing in the list. He hadn't tried Ross drinks before, so he thought to experiment a bit.
After picking up the tankard--filled to the brim with an acrid foamy liquid--he walked over to the man.
"Do I know you?" he asked, politely.
"Nope. You must know my friend though, because he recognizes you."
"Hmm, mind if you switch for a moment?"
"Jog doesn't like the garble blasters here. And he's in a bit of a conversation with... someone."
"Nothing is private."
"Nope. Well, I'll try to get him to..."
The man twitched for a moment. Almost spilling it, he slammed his cup on the table and doubled over to the side.
Then, he got up again, and spoke normally as if nothing happened:
"Aduin, it's good to see you again! I've expanded the pool a little bit, as you saw there. That was originally my brother's body, but you can call the other guy Whisk."
"Whisk?"
"Don't think too much about it. Anyway, what brings you here, and why did you disrupt...my conversation?"
"I have a material. I was wondering if I could get your little mental enclave to fashion it into something useful. A blade, perhaps." Aduin took the cleaver out of his backback and set it on the table. The table shook from the weight of the cleaver, spilling drops of Cyrian Gargle Blaster onto the table. The liquid fizzed and started corroding the table's plexiglas surface.
"It's from the native wildlife. The planet's beasts are formidable."
"Hmm, I can get you something."
He paused a bit, looking into the air to Aduin's side.
"Yes, Whisk agrees to stay longer..."
Of course.
"So you'll make me a blade?"
"How much are you willing to pay us?"

Caplus waited with Winfield, listening to the conversation.
"I can handle radar, and I can probably recognize the code. I could write something up, I suppose.

Caplus, don't be stupid. The marshcrawlers are moving now but it'll take a while since they have to go around the lake we crossed."

[4] Annoyed, Caplus practiced shield skating, using his shield to keep himself off the ground a fair enough distance to slide around.

Kayle headed into the main building. She and Jaffar passed inspection, although a pair of sniffing Ravagers after the inventory screening was unsettling.
The central lobby room was about five meters high. It was taller than one would expect a military building to be, but other than that the walls were painted with the usual red-above-blue stripe over brushed steel. The floor consisted of parallel plates. She assumed this was for drainage in case of some kind of biochemical attack--it would stop liquids from flowing.
Jaffar pointed to a pair of doors marked with a sign overhead. The sign depicted a crosshair over a crown.
"Must be the gun and armor stores."
They headed through the checking area--much more secure than the Militech building at Empire City--and into a hallway lined with nine shops showcasing combat equipment. Jaffar noticed a peculiar belt attached to a cardboard cut-out depicting a stylized flare. Kayle, on the other hand, simply stared at the row of Cyrian-made bolters and photon guns.

Spoiler: Stores! (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 10, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheets 2 (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107