Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 86000 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Roll 57
« Reply #1110 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:29 am »

"Coping? Oh, that's what work is for. The more dangerous job the better, that way you never get bored. Granted, it's not exactly a good plan if you want to live to a ripe old age. I like it better, the way it is with us now. I have a reason to keep going now.

...also, the only Cyrians I've met before you, were...very disagreeable."

Jaffar laughed a bit, but there was no joy in it. He remembered the pirates.

"As for intimidation...I usually try to see whats under the surface before I make a judgement on someone. Try to see things from differing viewpoints, different angles. It's tiring, at times, but I think it helps-well, it's lousy for making friends. Most people can only see the one facet. I'm not exactly throwing the 'shades of gray' argument out, though. I've seen enough to know true good and evil, black and white, and all that.

Anyway, I guess that's the benefit of being raised as a true Polaric. We're all a bit too inquisitive, to be afraid. Adventuring Pols do tend to have short lifespans."

Jaffar chuckled again, and there was more humor in it this time.

"...I wonder if I might ask you something, now? Way things are going, we'll make nice reputations for ourselves. I'd like to go back Home one day, after all this...but, there's a Prime Minister with a few trillion credits, and the entire Polaric army and navy, who strongly disagrees with that notion...

What happens after this job, for you? I suppose you'll go back Home, right?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:31 am »

(After this post I'm getting some sleep so I won't be passing out during Star Wars in like four hours. :P)

Kayle listened intently, but it seemed his advice was of a personal sort. She already kept herself busy most of the time and it didn't help much. From there, he answered her other question, and she nodded in response. "What culture we are born to does tend to shape us physically and mentally by a great deal," she said. He couldn't help being curious any more than she could help finding joy in combat. It was what their peoples did. After a moment, he asked her a question, but she was quick to reply.

"Of course. Adaephli Company is where I belong, and besides, someone has to look out for Tyrin." Jaffar had said he wasn't likely to return to his own home world; she decided to address that. "Would you want to come with me? We do have a few talented engineers and scientists, but we could always use more... and if you wanted to serve, I could probably get you assigned to my squad." She grinned and lightly socked him on the shoulder. "And I think my parents would like you. They wanted me to be a techie too, rather than a soldier." Of course, knowing her parents, if she brought a man of any sort home they would probably approve; she'd already gotten the 'when are you going to settle down' question from them two years ago.

"Your RIG there would function fine on Locyrmor, although you'd probably want to switch to one of these if you don't want to stand out." She touched her chest as she said 'one of these' like it wasn't completely obvious she meant her suit. "And you don't have to answer right away. Take some time and think it over. If you want to ask me anything, feel free."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 12, 2012, 08:37:46 am »

Jaffar nodded, smiling. He rubbed his shoulder in mock wounding. Though, he felt that warm tingle again, under the armor, all the way to the skin...maybe it was psychosomatic?

He responded.

"I will think about it, Kayle...but it sounds good. Really good."

He mused to himself, watching the live and die byplay of the nearby animals.

Jaffar had been wandering for a long time. He really had been only living to get the next port, essentially. He answered to no one, had no grand mission or goal. Polaris was a dim hope, a star he'd probably never reach. He had known that tethering himself to Kayle meant he was going to have to change. Live for another, as well as himself. It would be a tough life. Cyrians didn't get the luxury of easy living. They had to fight and scrape for everything they had. Did he want to be one of them? A warrior...a mercenary?

He felt the weight of the decision on him. Kayle had invited him-into her life, her home. Trust.

Jaffar imagined himself in heavy Cyrian armor-but, enough to set him apart as a Polaric, a fusion of both cultures. Standing beside Kayle. A life of battle and hardship. Bright moments shining all the more, for darkness endured. He liked that line, from one of his favorite authors...

Maybe it wasn't as hopeless as he had thought it, at first. He had assumed most Cyrians lived short, bloody lives-and in turn, afforded short time for a family or relationship. But perhaps there was something else, something deeper...he had alot to learn. Jaffars nature, that of an explorer, yearned to begin.

"...what can you tell me about your parents, Kayle? I think I'd like to meet them too."

At that point, he noticed a many-legged insect, sort of a cross between a millipede and a spider crab, crawling on the tree above Kayle's head-it's shell the color of tree bark, and sporting a pair of impressive pincers. He followed with his glance, prepared to blast it into oblivion, and it apparently got the message-jumping off the tree and gliding away on a pair of fold out wings.

What a planet...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:16:29 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »

"My parents..." Kayle crossed her arms and leaned her shoulders back against the tree. "First Lieutenant Dunvar and Corporal Kria Silvertaugh; both are in the same squad, which Father leads. The family is quite small; the only other living relative I have is my maternal aunt Fayna Aronyl." She thought some more about them. "I suppose I take after my father most. I look and act more like him. My mother is a bit of a daredevil; she has a reputation for risky maneuvers on the battlefield. Father is very level-headed and quiet, but he has been commanding people so long that when he speaks, most listen. I don't think I have quite that level of respect or authority yet."

She shrugged. "They spend a lot of time together. Excluding when Father was called away for officer meetings, I can't remember them being apart for more than a few hours at a time. Mother has a Cyrian Star medal for bravery in combat; Father told me it's because she managed to drag a squadmate back behind friendly lines under fire with the intel they were hired to retrieve despite being gutshot. I think I was a year old at the time; I was too young to remember it clearly. She's rightly proud of that medal. On the other hand, it's the same reason I'm an only child." Kayle looked up.

"They're very dedicated to the Company, and very protective of me. Like I said earlier, they didn't want me to be a soldier... but this is what I want to do. I want to serve too, and I don't think I'd be happy handling contracts and dealing with paperwork all day." She shrugged again as if to say that everyone had to choose their own path. "What about your parents?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Surprise Roll 58!
« Reply #1114 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »

Surprender! (Magicka reference)

I came home from school today feeling like writing. Somehow. I don't know. Perhaps finally having one less thing to do improved my mood or something. Let's get rollin'.

Roll 58

Zakroff removed his binoculars, and decided that it would be a good idea to enhance the zoom on them with his powers. [3] He held them to the sky, closed his eyes, and made the change, sending a visible white flow of energy through his arm. He opened his eyes and brought the binoculars--still glowing white from the transformation--to his eyes, and peered through.

He saw all sorts of vibrant colors and patterns. He then realized what he had just done.

"Blast."

Amatin noticed Zakroff exacerbating the situation, and was reminded that the heavy drone would easily be liable to terrain hazards. He told Varron to check the surrounding terrain for lava flows or anything that could result in thin ground.

"Yup, thin ground right ahead."

Amatin squinted into the distance, somewhat annoyed by Zakroff's mess-up. He realized that the surface of the planet was not as flat as it looked. The horizon itself was so heavily distorted by heat waves that any terrain features were hard to distinguish from noise. But on a closer look, he realized that they had landed on top of an area that was elevated from most of the planet's surface. The surface, he had learned, often consisted of multiple layers, each with varying densities. This is why excavation here was so difficult, because drill bits had to be swapped out. But since there was thin ground, he realized that perhaps magma flows had dug underneath the surface and weakened the layers beneath the surface. Thus, the entire area would consist of roughly-shaped, brittle sheets of rock layered upon each other.

"Varron," he began.
"Can you tell how tough this rock is? How much force it would withstand before fracturing?" he asked, a devious plan already brewing in his head. He experienced constant headaches here, far worse than those he had felt as he sat in his leather chair, spinning while staring at the low steel ceiling.

"I'm sorry sir, but my powers don't allow me to do that." replied Varron.
"At least, yet." he added on top of the previous statement.

Amatin's headaches were steadily increasing. His vision was now being affected. It wasn't blurred, but rather, he became more sensitive to certain colors... green and purple especially, he noticed. He gave no reply to Varron, and instead decided to enact his idea. He unholstered his rocket launcher and hastily pointed it at the ground a few meters in front of him.

"Over here?"
Varron looked shocked.
"... yes, sir. What are you--"

Amatin pulled the trigger, firing the last rocket in the chamber and causing the cylinder to flip out and eject a pile of ashes, some of it smoking. More importantly, however, the rocket flew out of the short barrel and exploded in--to Amatin--a green flash, which then turned white and filled his vision with a blinding haze. As his vision recovered, he watched as the hole he created sprouted fractures in the rock, which spread to the surrounding ground. Eventually, the ground began to collapse in front of him, pulling not only most of the upper layer with it but a number of the still-intact lower layers.

As the rockfall ended, a massive canyon had formed in front of the party, cutting off the direct route to the dig site. The canyon itself was sudden and perilous. The sides would drop suddenly, then come to a mostly level platform area where the rock was harder and stronger than the rest, before dropping again. The pattern of hard and soft layers created a jagged wall, which actually might make it easier to climb and descend.
At the bottom of the canyon was a lava river, once untouched by the warm, thin air, but now polluted with boulders and flat chunks of stone. The heat waves rose up into the black, moonless sky.

--------

As the herd of Klathidons grew larger in front of the convoy, which remained stationary, making no progress as the sun went down.

"These bloody animals won't move! I say we blow them all to hell!" exclaimed the Centauri Elite's Lieutenant.
"At ease, son," responded the Major, fully calm.
"Why? They're going to root, and then they'll be a nightmare to get around. Those roots go deep, you know!"

But it was too late to make a difference. One of the calves had been staring at the ground for quite some time--around ten minutes. It glanced at its mother, the side of which, with twelve other calves, it rested against. The mother made a subtle up-and-down motion with its head, and the calf squealed, before beginning to whack its head against the ground. Its tongue extended into the ground with every thrust, until finally, the calf strained to continue bashing its head, and began to close its eyes and rest, murmuring to itself as it fell asleep. Its tongue remained stuck into the ground, and the ground around it raised a minute amount  with each minute as the blazing sun inched downward. The convoy had landed near the end of the day, thanks to an assumption that the convoy would be within the razed area of the planet-wide jungle in only an hour. The sky had turned a distinct pink from its original teal coloration, marking the beginning of the planet's seven-hour night.

Jaffar and Kayle had been watching the Klathidons from the start. They were intrigued by the patterns of each animal, by their unique iridescent skin, by the way they took root, thrusting their faces into the damp soil, their tongues driving further inward, supposedly releasing further fleshy roots that resembled the branching patterns of a plant's. Kayle, having been previously distracted by the conversation, had begun to [5] sharpen her skills on this life-infested world. She learned to distinguish between the meek plants and the strong animals.
Plants registered as a blood red version of their original green forms, the red highlights on the leaves becoming indistinguishable from the green when her powers were engaged. The Kalthidons, on the other hand, displayed a deep purple hue, indicating that these creatures were not only alive, but they were strong and capable of causing harm. This ability would be useful, since now she could navigate the jungle more effectively.

Most of the Klathidons were already rooted by the time Winfield, who had been drinking coffee and tea on one of the Marshcrawlers, opened up the comms and notified everyone about what was going to happen.
"Everyone, this is Winfield Scott. We've decided that the course of action will be to travel around the left of the herd. The four wizards, the Ross Admiral, and I, will make our way through the herd and travel to the Ross headquarters to alert the government about the delays. We will also scout ahead to make sure we are aware of the hazards surrounding the trail."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheets 2 (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:43:55 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:43 am »

"We're going down, I assume?" Varron said, with a sigh. "Well... Do you want me to try and get us down safely with my powers?" If yes, help them all down. If no, climb down. If we're not going down, follow Amatin.

Hmm... I need to take some time off after this mission to go spell-crafting. I have a number of ideas, none of which are practical to try in the middle of a mission.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 13, 2012, 05:28:43 am »

Jaffar heard the call on his comm and prepared to move out.

"Well, my biological parents, who knows. All they gave me was a name-Jaffar.

I was dropped on the doorstep of a couple, Anette and William Cole. They raised me as their own, and they're my parents, as far as I care.

My Dad was one of the Polaric Rangers, if you can believe it. Sort of a cross between a police officer, bounty hunter, border sentry and explorer. He certainly had some stories to tell me...but, he didn't stick around much. Damn shame-I had always wanted to go with him, one day. I was too young, though. He was my idol. I learned almost everything about machines and technology from him, in what little time we spent together.

One day, he never came back. Literally. No one knows what happened to him. Disappeared on a long range scouting trip-no trace. Naturally, lots of people say he just ran out on my mother.

But I don't believe that. I mean, I know it's the most logical explanation, but I don't have to accept it. I don't even know if he's alive or dead, really. Galaxys a big place anyway. Maybe I'll run into him one day..."

Jaffar rolled out his neck.

"...My mother. The great survivalist. Calm in the storm. I love her. Wish I was half as brave as she was.

My Mom's an explorer too. Not of space though-she's a biologist, taught me about plants and animals. I'd say she tempered my wanderlust with a bit of common sense. Used to take me hiking, just me and her-in the Polaric highlands-we would watch the great storms roll out over the blue plains from the peak of Kirzakil, the young Alora Serpents during their first hunts, Kyr Hawks do their um, aerial mating dances. And other things, like that. You'd have to see it, to know how amazing it was."

He smiled a bit sadly. It had been a long time since he'd seen home.

"...I might have taken after her, if I hadn't been banished. I'd wanted to take care of animals, once-maybe even own a farm. Mom always wanted to lure me away from dreaming about venturing about into space, and finding Dad, to a more grounded reality. We still talk, and send each other gifts when we can. But they're still watching me. I can't risk my old grudge coming down on her, so communication is somewhat limited.

Mmm. It always comes back to the grudge with me. Sorry for that, Kayle. It takes a bit not to start ranting into my comm everytime I dwell on it."

Action: Move on through the herd. Try not to antagonize them!

Also, concentrate on my cloak, if it's trying to tell me anything.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:11 am »

@DbZ: That must have been one hell of a headache, if it made Amatin go all 'screw the plans, we'll go through the caverns instead' on his comrades.
He'll probably be able to think of some excuse for it once he's sane again, such as 'I don't trust these Centauri bastards! They'll sell the intel to Van Buren and there'll be a small army of his goons defending the surface, no doubt about that!', but I'll need to know one thing before descending: are the cave system's tunnels big enough for Zakroff's droid to get through?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:44 am »

Apply palm directly to forehead. Remove palm from forehead. Look at the newly-formed caverns before making the decision of up or down.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 13, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

Its much like a canyon that opens into the cavernous layers. But yeah, I'll imagine them as DF type caverns, I guess. You can climb over the canyon though, since it's not just a hole in the ground but more like a vertical cross section, including of the pillars that hold it up.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:19 pm »

@DbZ: I'll take it as a 'yes, the caverns can fit the droid'.

Amatin sighed once again in frustration at his talent for making everything he does an overkill. He was compelled to shoot himself just to avoid the humiliation of acknowledging he just messed everything up, but first decided to try any Aroth Vanguard Officer's chosen tactic to get out of FUBAR missions alive: he made up new orders and improvised until these orders started looking better than the original ones. Never failed before.
"Yes, we're going through the caverns, yes, that was the plan all along and yes, I was keeping it secret from the Centauri. Van Buren, even with my curse on, is still powerful enough to infiltrate their ranks and keep an eye on Vulcanus. If my gut feeling is right, there's a small army of his men guarding the surface right now. When we hit the base from underground, we can expect normal to minimal resistance as opposed to maximal on the surface.
Anyway, Zakroff's droid looks small enough to fit in the caverns. Varron, get it down safely. Everyone else, start descending. The one who gets down first keeps watch for monsters and ambushes.
"
Spin things out of proportion and boldly travel down the canyon, into the vast unknown of Vulcanus's cave systems.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:17:36 pm by HmH »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:29 pm »

Move on through the herd with the group.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:06 am »

((Hmm, I wanna bring HighendNoob into the RP))

Jaffar turned to Caplus. His friend had been a bit quiet, so he went for a joke.

"Why so quiet, Caplus? Does the majesty of nature in all it's primordial beauty leave you momentarily breathless?

Or is your Comm broken, maybe?"

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 107