Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 85992 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Roll 57
« Reply #1095 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:36 pm »

(I would have said something, but I thought you knew. ^^^; They're in Mass Effect 1 as well as a semi-random occurrence on planets and can generally one or two shot you. >.> Anyway, this is a Sci-Fi RTD, I don't really care enough about 'reality' to mind if you skew things for a better story. Hell, if you ask me, I wouldn't mind at all if you went with the 'long, long time ago in a galaxy far away' excuse to have your own star systems and such. ^^^)

Kayle watch the herd carefully. "I say we should wait for a moment, see if they plan to take root here. If so... well, I could use an opportunity to test out this Shatterer Cannon." She didn't particularly want to provoke wildlife - although some animals required skill to take down and thus were worthy opponents, it wasn't as honorable as besting enemy squadrons - and was willing to wait them out should everyone else agree.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 08, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »

Zakroff methodically placed his power cores, the 10mm ammo clips, and the bag of scrap into the Drones bins before taking out a Polarian AR-64 Combat Rifle, 2 clips for it, and a pair of binoculars. "I got some weapons, and munitions if you need any, but anything you guys use you'll pay me for later. Understood?"

Exchange my gear, and head out towards our destination. Attempt to make Binoculars into a more advanced version.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:25 am »

@DbZ: All sci-fi is unrealistic when it comes to time and distances, and habitable words, and terraforming, and, oh, pretty much everything else.  An unrealistic universe is better than an empty universe, so I'm in favor of skewing.

Amatin looked around and upwards: he didn't see anything worthy of contemplation. No monsters, at least, and definitely nothing of human origin. "The horizon seems clear. Let's get going. Varron, you take point. Use your sense of motion to detect lava flows close to surface. When you find one, warn Zakroff: while we may not even notice thin ground, his droid is too heavy for such carelessness."
Go towards the dig site.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 09, 2012, 12:36:14 am »

"Sure thing boss." Varron said, grinning... of course, unseen to the others. He tentatively moved to the front, trying to focus his clairvoyance to the ground, and what was underneath, while using his eyes to watch where he was going, moving towards our destination.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:46 am »

Okay, then... four hours, one kilometre, awkward heat suits. Let's assume half an hour of travel time. Three hours for the other stuff. Exploration will take at least an hour, then we have two hours failsafe time and for the probably inevitable encounters...

I dislike these kinds of time limits, but let's do this...

Get going and scout for danger along the way... if unusual sights are to be seen, use the crossbow's telescopic sight to get a closer look.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 10, 2012, 07:57:20 am »

Waitlist

I'll post a sheet here. Soon-ish

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:02 am »

Kayle watch the herd carefully. "I say we should wait for a moment, see if they plan to take root here. If so... well, I could use an opportunity to test out this Shatterer Cannon." She didn't particularly want to provoke wildlife - although some animals required skill to take down and thus were worthy opponents, it wasn't as honorable as besting enemy squadrons - and was willing to wait them out should everyone else agree.

Jaffar shrugged.

"I say we give it a few. Maybe they'll just..migrate on past?

Granted, I'm less worried about them, and more worried about what's following them. Everyone keep an eye out. Predators like to stalk big herds on the fringes and pick off smaller, weaker prey.

Like us."

Action: Vote to wait and see

Keep an eye and ear out on the fringes of the herd for predators.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 11, 2012, 02:59:51 pm »

"Best to just wait."

Alduin sits down on the grass and waits.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD: Roll 56.5
« Reply #1103 on: March 11, 2012, 10:39:10 pm »

Okay, blast. I know this is an inadequate time to postpone a roll, but lately I've been caught up with homework and school in general. I'm in the IB program, which means that not only do I get much more homework than usual, but I also have to do a bunch of things, including a CAS project (which I don't have a group for yet), extended essay, a bunch of finals eventually, and probably a number of projects that I'm still not aware of.

This RTD takes me a significant amount of time to roll for. But when I'm rarely in the mood to write (and when I am, I usually can't write, because I'm somewhere away from a computer) because of school, I really can't get good, high-quality rolls out quickly enough. I'll have to postpone this until later... although fortunately after I get my CAS group sorted out by the end of this week, and my historical investigation project turned in next friday, I'll probably have enough off of my mind to actually get writing again. So don't see this as me trying to kill the RTD by putting it on hiatus indefinitely, I'm really just saying that I won't be able to write any good rolls within the next two weeks.

So the next roll is probably going to happen next month or at the end of this one... this really is an awkward place to pause, since there's nothing remotely interesting yet going on for the characters.

Sorry about that :(
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 11, 2012, 11:50:08 pm »

:(

Well, I have faith we will get back on the ground in time. My newly fixed computer compels me to an RP fix in the meantime...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaffar stood by Kayle, stretching his arms. He liked animals, and liked telling Kayle about them-she seemed interested, but mostly in how dangerous he could make them sound.

He pointed to a trio of the Klathidons-what looked like a small male, large female and a young one, with similiar markings.

"That's sort of cute, right...it's like a happy family?"

At that moment, an ugly bird-like being with a three sided beak swooped from the canopy and snatched the squaling baby in it's talons-lifting it into the air and flapping off with a triumphant squawk.

"...I don't like this planet." He stated flatly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 12, 2012, 01:21:40 am »

(I, too, shall RP for graet justice.)

Kayle stood with her shoulder against a tree and listened to Jaffar talk. Although she had gotten used to planets with actual wildlife and weather and seasons and suchlike, it was still a bit of a novelty to be standing in it. Shielded by her suit and helmet, perhaps, but standing amongst life nonetheless. It was a far cry from the hazardous underground caverns and tunnels her people lived in, dotted with airlocked buildings and rooms where one could take their helmet off and breath recycled air. After a moment of elucidating what he knew of Kalthidons, Jaffar pointed out a small trio of them, and she turned to look.

"Maybe so. It seems strange to me that in many different species the female is larger than the male, but in humanoids it is always the other way around." A bird swooped down and snatched the infant Kalthidon, flying away with a loud caw as Jaffar declared he didn't like this planet. Kayle took a parting shot at the bird but barely managed to clip it with her laser. If I had had it in my hand I would have had more time to aim, she thought ruefully as she turned back to Jaffar with a helpless shrug. "That's life everywhere. Let it be an example: we have to be strong to protect the ones we care about, or else we could lose them just like that to an enemy." A typically Cyrian point of view, albeit a slightly more softhearted spin on it by their standards.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:54 am »

Jaffar nodded.

"It helps to be smart as well as strong. Notice how most of the other family groups partner off watch duty-one parent keeps guard while the other feeds..."

He smiled to himself, wondering where the conversation would lead.

"...guess it helps, not to have to do it all alone."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:11 am »

Kayle turned back to the herd and watched for what Jaffar had pointed out; after a few moments of careful study, she realized he was correct. "I... hadn't noticed they did that. I guess I don't think about such things too often." To a Cyrian, the only animals worth paying attention to were dangerous predators; a soldier's first focus should be on the mission, his second on the enemy, and his third on his allies. She watched them for a moment while the engineer mused on the benefits of teamwork. She turned back to him with a decisive nod.

"You are, of course, entirely correct. A soldier in the field is only as good as the intelligence he's been given and the competence of his squadmates. It's easier to perform your duties when you have trust in your handler and your partners." She looked down at the laser rifle in her hand for the moment. "Let me ask you a personal question, Jaffar. Before we were sent out on our first mission together, did you work with others much?" She was curious; he seemed like a solitary sort of man.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:37 am »

Jaffar turned back to Kayle. His voice lowered in tone, a little more serious.

"Rarely, if ever. Even when I hired on to a ship as temporary help, the rest of the crews don't exactly go out of their way to welcome a new guy, if he'll be gone in a few weeks.

At times, I worked with another woman, Jolene Blackok, a few times-she was in the crowd during our graduation-but, that was a...long distance thing. Our respective jobs..."

Jaffar paused for a moment-he got a sudden memory, of one of Jolene's 'projects', punching a hole in a Centauri cruiser...granted, the captain was 'rescuing' stranded spacers, and selling them on slave markets. So Jolene had said, and why wouldn't he believe her? That had been just last week, and she had called him over an encrypted line to celebrate...well, he wouldn't exactly be volunteering that information.

He continued after the momentary paused.

"...took us to different places. I was always on the move, and so was she. Tell you the truth, Kayle, this is about as long as I've spent with any one group.

Or, any one person."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 12, 2012, 03:22:06 am »

Kayle nodded, as if that was what she had expected. "How do you cope with it? At home, a Cyrian is only by herself when she wants some privacy. As a child, I played with the other children of Adaephli Company; as a teenager, I enlisted, trained, and learned beside a score of my peers; until I entered the academy I led a squad of ten Cyrians." Cyrian squads were very close-knit groups, as anyone with access to the extranet could learn. They generally stayed in the same quarters, ate in the same mess halls, participated in the same recreational activities, and were even culturally encouraged to build strong emotional ties with one another in the belief that a soldier who deeply cares about his allies will perform at higher levels than an aloof one. Of course most Cyrians were also too reserved a people to speak of those bonds to many.

She had been the odd one out on her squad: six women and four men, led by her. Over time eight of them had paired off, and the remaining woman was like Tyrin; hardly the type to commit to anyone. She had envied her squadmates at times; sure, they were all friends, but the couples seemed happier together than she normally was. "At the academy I was mostly by myself; my people's reputation has a habit of making others stay at arm's length, and the only other Cyrians were from rival Companies... but we agreed there would be no incidents between us while we were students." She smiled to herself. "We weren't being paid to shoot at each other anyway..."

After another moment for thinking, she decided to query Jaffar again. "If I may ask another personal question... you didn't seem too intimidated by me when we first met. Are you a brave man, or comfortable in dealing with Cyrians, perhaps?"

(OOC: Also, completely unrelated, I found my copy of that book. Hard to believe R.L. Stine wrote books (especially a CYOA) before Goosebumps, but there it is.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:59:37 am by SeriousConcentrate »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 107