Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 18994 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2011, 07:21:14 pm »

In other news, I've decided to embark upon a project to make a skirt-overlay using 1/4" 16g galvy.  It's meant to be worn over a skirt, like an extra layer.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »

Good Luck!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »

Cool stuff all around  :o

This may be the sleepiness talking, but this sounds really cool to get into :)
Not sure how much time I'd be able to put into it though... seems like I barely have enough time to get everything done as is...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:51 pm »

Still reading through this thread, so apologies if I duplicate any info.

Very nice looking chain, GiH!  Some other things you might try if you're doing this as a jewelry/costuming thing, is placing a colored bead on one edge of the center link -- with a slightly smaller ring size, the neighboring rings themselves will tend to keep the bead in position when worn -- or electroplating the wire (for example, with copper) to provide color contrast without a HUGE outlay of cash.

I've got issues with ADD, and working with my hands tends to keep me mostly sane, so I did a good bit of chainmail in college.  You can use a wood or steel dowel to make smaller rings.  The guy who taught me used a bent steel bar, slightly thicker than a pencil, so you could put the straight end between your feet to steady it, and "crank" the bent end around to wind the wire on, directly off the spool.  It made links that were roughly as big around as a AA battery, which made for a nice tight weave, and with this method it was easy to crank out a thousand rings in an hour or so.  (Be warned though, it'll eventually give you huge biceps from the cranking and thick forearms from the cutting  ;) )

As to weight, my college buddy had a sleeveless hauberk & coif made with 12- or 10-gauge wire, which is shoulders to mid-thigh for the hauberk and top of head to point of shoulders for the coif.  The hauberk weighed about 70 lbs, and the coif weighed about 20.  It also had to be worn with a thick cloth pad underneath to prevent pinching, hair pulling, and pressure sores/chafing, which added another 10-15 lbs.  Of course, his was also designed for use in combat, so it was thicker and tighter than cosmetic chain.

Galvanized wire or aluminum DOES avoid the issue of rust, but they both oxidize, and galvanized wire especially leaves a blackish/grey residue on your skin if you sweat against the oxidized metal. 

Final edit:  My college buddy made a couple of chainmail bikinis for one of the local "dancers."  She said it tripled her tips the first night she wore it, but damn near killed her with all the pinching.  SO, she bought a couple of rabbit skins, turned 'em fur-side-in and lightly sewed the leather-side to the rings.  The last I'd heard was the tips were still astronomical, and the soft/tickly fur was greatly appreciated by the wearer. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:19:58 pm by Mount »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:19 am »

Final edit:  My college buddy made a couple of chainmail bikinis for one of the local "dancers."  She said it tripled her tips the first night she wore it, but damn near killed her with all the pinching.  SO, she bought a couple of rabbit skins, turned 'em fur-side-in and lightly sewed the leather-side to the rings.  The last I'd heard was the tips were still astronomical, and the soft/tickly fur was greatly appreciated by the wearer.
Pics Please. :D

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2011, 12:46:22 am »

Pics Please. :D

Alas, my college days are 15 years ago.  We didn't have pictures then, only woodcuts.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »

Woodcuts? Sheer luxury. In MY day we had to carve the picture into a stone wall. AND it were covered in snow!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »

Woodcuts? Sheer luxury. In MY day we had to carve the picture into a stone wall. AND it were covered in snow!
UPHILL BOTH WAYS SOMEHOW THROUGH 12 FEET OF SNOW AND ALSO SABRE-TOOTH TIGERS!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »

RIDING MASTODONS!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »

RIDING MASTODONS!

I really want to see a picture of sabre-tooth tigers riding mastadons up a hill now- you have NO IDEA

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

commence drawing project in
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2011, 06:05:19 am »

Ok, if you can provide an adequate picture of a sabertooth tiger riding a mastodon into a snowy battlefield, and I can get the rings, I will make an inlay of that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2011, 08:48:44 am »

Remember, downhill has to be uphill as well. We're going to need Escher's help.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:27 am »

I had entirely forgotten about Ice Age. Nice!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13