Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 19008 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »

Are there folks watching who want to start doing this themselves?  I can give you a lot of pointers for how to start cheaply, how to wind and cut rings yourself, and the like, for those interested.  It's easiest if you have access to some tools/wood already, but there isn't much to it really except a local hardware store, some pliers, cutters, a few small pieces of wood and/or PVC pipe, and a drill.

Yes!

I do wonder how many hours it would take to make a shirt, however....  :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07:46 am »

Many many hours...  Especially depending on your material and size choices.  For heavier, combat-y mail, you'll want steel, probably stainless steel because that's relatively easy to find and tough to wear down.  10-14, maybe 16 gauge is usually armor thickness, depending on who you ask, and ring size is usually small, like 1/2" or tighter, though with such thick wire it's hard to get tighter rings to work.  The weave also matters too, a 6 in 1 builds up slower, but is thicker and more protective.  4 in 1 is much simpler, "standard" armor weave, and builds up faster.  But, ultimately, that amount of steel becomes heavy rather fast, and unless you're welding your riveting, then it's not going to be great armor.  Butted rings (like saw cut that are just pushed closed) tend to pop open or warp and bend when hit.

Then again, just for show, you can do a lot more.  1/2" aluminum rings can be made thinner than armor and be made much faster - without the callouses and carpel tunnel that tough steel produces.  Of course, if you ask me, scalemail is the best showy armor.  Aluminum scales are light and can build up rather quickly, if you know how to handle scales.  Plus, the shimmer and shine against any amount of light is sublime.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2011, 01:05:05 am »

There is a perfectly shaped ring burned - nay, branded on my thumb.  My inner dwarf is screaming at me that I should NOT become a ‼dwarf‼  I cannot be trusted with fire.  I will, without exception, burn and maim myself.

That sounds like dwarfs to me.

The bracelet is lovely!  I'm fond of persian 4-1, and the bronze/aluminum combo is a very attractive one.  I miss my bronze wire - why is it all in another state! :(
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2011, 08:29:06 am »

when i made my shirt it took me at least a month with 1/2 inch galvy.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2011, 10:23:12 am »

I just had a great idea--make a full formalwear suit using chainmail with different colours. And wear it to an event, and see what happens.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:07 am »

Great stuff, Girlinhat! :)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2011, 11:24:40 am »

Actually, a good dress is very formal.  Think "little black dress" just in tiny tiny chainmail.  I've seen pics of that sort of thing on big runways and fashion shows, and the sell into the thousands.  Of course, that's WITH a name attached, like Gucci or some other "triple the price because name" company.  Ah, but for lack of a few pounds of aluminum...

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

I just had a great idea--make a full formalwear suit using chainmail with different colours. And wear it to an event, and see what happens.
It's all you, if you make I will buy it and pay shipping and send you a tape of me wearing it to every semi to formal occasion for the rest of my life.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

when i made my shirt it took me at least a month with 1/2 inch galvy.

That's actually impressively efficient.  Few people manage a full shirt within a month. 1/2" rings make it easier, but still, impressive dedication.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:58 am »

I am an incredible patient person when I want to be. A tip is to not work for hours at a time, and if you do grab some movies or watch tv, it wil keep you from getting board.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2011, 11:21:51 am »

You get boards for making metal rings? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2011, 11:46:11 am »

har har

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2011, 10:55:31 pm »

I am watching with interest. Just added this to my "one of these days..." file.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »

why not today?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »

why not today?

Lack of free time, mostly. I work a lot, and have a decided lack of ambition, so I normally only have the creative energy for one project at a time. When coupled with my basically conservative nature, I often lose interest in a project before it gets well underway- that's why I try to bookmark such things so that the next time I have undirected creative energies I can see whether any side stuff rekindles my interest.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13