Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 19039 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »

As of the last post, this thread has 15 posts to live.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 07:42:51 pm »

Sorry I got carried away.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »

As of the last post, this thread has 15 posts to live.
Why?

A well made Katana is made of over 600 layers of folded steel. The edge is hardened and the spine is soft with the middle or hamon being a combination of both. A poor sword a katana is not when made properly.
It is not the best.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »

I don't think I'd ever have the patience for making a mail anything but I've been enjoying this topic so far and hope it doesn't turn into a huge argument.

For what it's worth katanas were good for their location and for their time but there isn't anything that justifies their status in popular culture. A guy I work with is convinced they can cut anything besides diamonds, he's in his late forties. So I see what Girlinhat is saying.

Ninja'd sort of.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »

Ignoring the katana argument, point still remains that chainmail has a mystic value, the idea of "whoever made this must be amazing" which isn't far from accurate.  I got some 3/4" rings from coiling around an old PVC pipe, managed to bend the galvy rings with my fingers and make some mail pretty fast and poor.  Got some 1/8" copper rings that are complete hell to work with under any condition.  Silly me ordered thinner aluminum 3/32" rings too, like a thousand of them...  Time to make some amazing bracelets!

NINJA: Emphasis on "ignoring the katana argument" because that will quickly spiral down.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »

... managed to bend the galvy rings with my fingers ...

Strong hands!  When I'm in the habit I can bend any of my rings by hand but it... tends to hurt.  Acceptable with aluminum and copper, but the steel takes a toll.

You'll be pleased to have the pliers from TRL :)
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »

Nah, this is 16g galvy at 1" ID.  So easy to bend it's laughable.  Easy enough for E4-1 but I wouldn't try E8-1 with them, that's getting a bit tight for space.  Also, depending on my fingernail length, I can use one plier and one finger to bend different rings, but mainly just for tiny adjustments, not for real working.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 10:58:19 pm »

Oh, 1 inch ID?  That's... well I like to use thick aluminum rings at that size for demonstrating weaves.  I see your point.

If you're doing bracelets, you might want to try out Fool's Dilemma, aka Byzantine - Easy once you grok the 'trick' to it, and looks very nice. I'm guessing your new rings are probably a good AR for it.  20g on the copper and aluminum, right?

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2011, 11:10:14 pm »

I've ordered 20g 3/32" aluminum for thin byz bracelets and earrings.  I've also ordered 18g 1/4" aluminum and bronze for necklaces or bracelets in something like half-persian or GSG.  I saw an adorable bracelet in aluminum and bronze GSG and I want to try something similar.  I'll probably go with something thicker though, I can't seem to be content with thin weaves.  But I like the GSG for its slanted look.  Thinking now, I should have gotten a bag of rubber rings, and/or some solid steels.  I saw one bracelet that was anodized aluminum and rubber rings, made so that there was no clasp and it would stretch over the hand.  Apparently, the guy would make a sheet 3 yards long at a time, and then cut them down to size for a customer at a show or con.

Any fun ideas for bronze and bright aluminum?  Interesting weaves or stylings?  I already have one idea, but it's a surprise :3

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2011, 11:44:32 pm »

Hm, well here's a bracelet I made in bright aluminum using a similar AR if not similar size (I think this was 3/16ths ID rather than your 3/32nds, but it was also with thicker wire, so you might still be able to do it). http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=3225

The weave is called Tiffany - its a minor variant of Elfweave.  I made it with an extra row along each side as per this tutorial.  Later, I changed it slightly such that along one side, the front-center rings were all replaced with copper, making a nice band down the center.  I'll try to get a picture of what it looks like now, apparently I never did.

You could also try patterning, if that's your inclination.  I don't know if your two colors of rings are similar enough in size to allow that, though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:54 pm »

My bronze and BA rings are identical size, as the whole point of that was to pattern them.  I also like the look of that bracelet, looks suitably complex.  I may look into elfweave, I've got a LOT of spare galvy sitting about.  I was also tempted to try dragonweave, or whatever it's called, since I have different rod sizes now.  Both of those (dragon and elf) are on the more expensive side of weaves because they're a bit more complex or use different sized rings.  Most tend to stick with E4-1 it seems, but I love tackling the complex weaves.  Only issue is that the dragon and elf both look rather heavy, if I'm using galvy.  Obviously not an issue with BA though.

Also, I want to make a metal scarf.  Comments?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »

Don't wear it in winter.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:37 am »

Don't wear it in winter.
Or summer.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 12:10:47 am »

Actually, yes in summer.  Chainmail works as a fantastic radiator, so much so that people are actively discouraged from wearing it below freezing because it poses a health risk.  Metal in general does a good job of transferring heat - in this case from the body to the rings - and the design of chainmail offers a lot of contoured surface area to dissipate the heat.  Since I live in the deep south (dirty south, even) this is relevant to my interests.  We had a heat index of 110F this week.

Do note, that summer would be the main fighting months for old-world soldiers.  A sheet of chainmail with a draping over it (think of the Crusaders) would go a long way to keep the soldier cool and keep the metal from turning hot in the sun.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:00 am »

Apparently I have not been listening well - that's like the third thing I've mentioned that you apparently already talked about.  My apologies.  The scarf sounds like fun.  I'd use a fairly loose AR for something like that, both for the sake of time and for appearance and 'function'. 

Here's the bracelet I was referring to.  Crap pics, but hey.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You could use some slightly larger rings (maybe 5/16ths 16g galvy?) to make a byzantine-web handflower or the like.  Basically you substitute a larger ring as a connector and branch off two units of byzantine from one whenever you want to expand.  I've been meaning to do something of that ilk for a while.

Dragonscale is cool but a bit of a pain, mostly for requiring two different ring sizes, but partly because its just such a goddamn TIGHT weave.  I've made a patch of it for the experience but I haven't come up with anything I actually want to use it for just yet.  Granted, it can be made looser than I did it, but I tend to err to the side of minimum AR.

In other news, I think I need to invent Dwarf-maille.

... Your facts about maille dissipating heat are fascinating, make perfect sense, and have inspired me to attack the hobby with renewed interest.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13