Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 19040 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:04 am »

You have weird laws over yonder, Dsarker.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 09:28:19 am »

I just popped in to say that riveting is really easy. Taking the rivets out is another story altogether (I just use the drill for that and throw away the rivet.) If you're using the traditional hammer method, it'll be tedious, but still easy. I've never riveted armor before, but I've done a few thousand rivets into sheet metal (my father is a race car mechanic.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 09:54:44 am »

Orly?  Do you have any video references available, or could you hash together some pics/video to show how it's done?  Youtube has been remarkably saturated with extremely specific DIY Home Improvement videos.  Since mail rings don't already have a hole in them, and are very small, I think it'd be rather more difficult to rivet them.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:43 am »

Hmm. Seems I was thinking of a process that is completely different from riveting chain. I am now following to learn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:24:58 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:00 am »

Judging by that eHow on riveting, I think I'd prefer to go for spot welding instead, when/if I progress to that point.  Either way, some more pictures!  I decided to get some done in the morning before it got too hot, because I'm working outside, and then 10:30 rolled around and I opted to finish the rings I had and pack it in.  I'll likely continue more this evening once it cools down some more.

Coiled on the pipe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Slipped off, it's rather like a spring.
Clipped away into rings.
Added to the existing length, this added an additional 40 middle-row rings onto the already 40, doubling the length I had.

I estimate I'll need ~200 rows total to make this into a belt, which will be roughly 800 rings total once I make it 1 ring wider.  Possibly 1,000 rings if I decide to go wider still, but I think if I make it 2 rings wider it won't fit through my belt loops.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:12:37 pm by Girlinhat »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:20 pm »

I found an interesting site while watching a video.
Tons of stuff in the library section, though how much of it is useful I'm not sure of yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »

I have actually made a chainmaille shirt and a chainmaille coif. The shirt weighs around 12 pounds.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:53 am »

I made half a glove ring by ring using paperclips. Took a while.

Fun fact. The first wire-cutting die was invented in the 14th century. Before that point, all wires had to be hammered from barstock.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:24 am »

I made half a glove ring by ring using paperclips. Took a while.

Fun fact. The first wire-cutting die was invented in the 14th century. Before that point, all wires had to be hammered from barstock.

If I remember correctly there was historical documentation of someone trading a whole village (and it's people, good ol' feudalism) for a complete suit of chainmail.

EDIT: I remember hearing this when I used to play Mount and Blade. I was active on the MBX forums and it was a discussion Ron Losey was involved in.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:21:29 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 05:34:38 am »

Certainly possible, depending on the prosperity of the village and who the smith was. To have armor be fitted was something reserved for the upper levels of nobility, and chain mail was usually a hand-me-down for many generations of the family. The only reason armor ever really came down in price was because of smelting innovations and the switch to plate armor, which allowed the use of trip hammers over the hand labor of mail.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:57 am »

I've heard from different sources that a full suit of armor would have cost about the same a a modern day house.  Compare that against the Crusades.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Are you using galvanized wire? Because if you are you can't weld it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

This is galvanized, but I'm far FAR from welding.  When/if I started welding (and invested in a welder) then I'd probably be swapping to stainless.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »

I've heard from different sources that a full suit of armor would have cost about the same a a modern day house.  Compare that against the Crusades.

Oh, yes. It's the equivalent of a highly technologically advanced army. Better would be a comparison to the Roman legions, which used chainmail before switching to the lorica segmentum.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »

And, to make it worse, the average person was a janitor rather than a business-y person. Not sure how expensive weapons were though. The majority of pole arms were peasant-affordable, but swords were costly.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13