Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter  (Read 18996 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Girlinhat: Adequate Metal Crafter
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2011, 01:15:23 pm »

I had entirely forgotten about Ice Age. Nice!
Mammoth falling into the battlefield with a sabertooth tiger riding him.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2011, 05:32:01 pm »

That's cheating though.  Also, I'm gonna have to call a technicality on the sloth.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »

Still not uphill both ways.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »

I had entirely forgotten about Ice Age. Nice!
Mammoth falling into the battlefield with a sabertooth tiger riding him.

Well played, olemars, well played.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:04 am »

Still not uphill both ways.

Not uphill for the WHOLE way, but there was a big frakkin' hill between home & school, so I claim a technicality and say that I did walk to school, and it actually WAS uphill both ways.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2011, 07:56:32 am »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm considering making a chainmail guitar strap, and I'm wondering how many rings I'll need for something around 2"x42" with big-ass rings (sorry for a lack of technical details, any advice on this front would also be greatly appreciated) and a relatively loose weave (Euro 4-in-1?)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2011, 09:04:23 am »

Are the rings 1/2 inch?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »

Thanks to this thread, I did some experimenting with the 4-in-1 European method and some crappy wire in visual arts class to make a spool of yarn encased in chainmaille, with some strangeness added and hung it from the ceiling for part of a project. I plan on getting some decent supplies now to make other neat stuff. Thanks for the new interest, Dwarf Fortress community!
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:02 am »

Are the rings 1/2 inch?

I've not decided in a ring size yet, but I want it to be quite large. My priorities are a) minimal getting-caught-in-hair factor, b) comfort and c) ability to support the weight of a guitar.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2011, 07:57:50 am »

Well if you want comfort you might want to go 1/4 inch because it is most like a fabric.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »

The key to comfort is a good closure, more than anything.  I think any size between 1/4 and 1/2 would probably be good for your purposes so long as you use steel wire (preferably stainless, for appearance and smoothness/comfort) though I think probably 3/8ths or even 5/16ths would be ideal, probably with 16 ga or higher wire - I'd recommend 14ga if you do larger.  Larger rings actually tend to be less comfortable, and in terms of hanging weight more rings overall actually hold up much better than fewer, larger rings.  Smaller diameter rings are going to give you much more strength and comfort overall - but of course that also means significantly longer to construct.  So it depends what your priorities are.

Using the assumption of 3/8ths, 14ga or 5/16ths 16ga, the number of rings... I'd estimate, for a strap ~2.5 inches wide... probably you'd get about 3-inches of strap per 100 rings, roughly.  Probably a bit more, really, but it's better to err on the side of extra rings, of course.  So... probably get 1,000 for the project, just to be on the safe side?

Hope it comes out well!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:54 am »

For a cheap strap, you can head to the hardware store and pick up some galvanized steel, costs like $5 for 200 feet around here, and that made me a belt of E10-1 16g 1/4" around my rather slim waist, and enough wire left over to make a TON of other stuff.  For this, I was using a PVC pipe to coil, which costs like $2 for 9 feet or something like that, extremely cheap and disposable mandrel.  It holds up well enough, but you'll need to double or triple up the fasteners, because 1/4" galvy is fairly weak, and there's a lot of stress on whatever ring is the closure, but you can layer the rings and add strength, shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of time and effort, this enormous belt weighs a lot and took time to put together, but it's E10-1 and that's incredibly thick.  A smaller ring 4-1 or a regular 6-1 should give flashy results and look great.  It'll also weigh less if you use a thinner weave.  For less weight you can use aluminum, but I'd advise galvy first because it's extremely cheap and easy to get.  Do note, the aluminum at a hardware store isn't good, because it's raw and rubs black against skin, useless for clothing/jewelry.

For hair pulling, I get virtually none.  I often drape the belt over my neck because the metal is cooling, and I have hair down to my middle back that pretty much never snags, or might catch one stray strand.  Might be different with a loose weave, as it lets more area for hair to pass through, but I don't imagine it being a real issue.

And, sorry I don't check this thread much, I'm usually loitering in Fort Mode :P

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

This thread inspired me to start work on my own project. I ordered about 2000 14g 1/2" galvy steel rings from threringlord.com.

I think I'm going to make a book bag or a couple of pouches or something. I figure after that, I might go for a stainless steel haubergeon, but I'm going to start with something smaller first.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »

Honestly?  Bright aluminum will serve you better.  But, all things learned through experience, right?  I've seen a camping bag in chainmaille, made to fit a rolled up sleeping bag into it.  Might be a good bicycle coat too, the metal should catch light better than cloth and make you more visible to clumsy drivers.  Both of these would be a good use for galvy, since it tends to turn white through oxidation, and develops a "wet dog" smell over time.  Great for outdoors-y things, stuff is durable, but otherwise, not quite so much...

Also, I made some pieces and got some pictures, gonna put up pictures on a new thread in "creative works" and probably here too.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2011, 02:20:44 pm »

Can't wait to see 'em.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13