Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hungry Heads... wait a minute.  (Read 1446 times)

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hungry Heads... wait a minute.
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:50:38 pm »

So, I'm doing my dorfy thing in cavern level 1, complete with a fire breathing FB, candy vein(my first, actually) Elk Birds and lots of crundles, however. I go to look at my unit list(as I periodically do to make sure that nothing overly dangerous is down there because I'm letting civvies roam free down there) I see a swarm of hungry heads. I had never seen these before, so as I usually do, I check the wiki for some info on them.
Hungry heads are found in the third cavern layer in groups of five to ten individuals.
are found in the third cavern layer
third cavern layer
Wait.... What?!
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: Hungry Heads... wait a minute.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »

Cavern levels are often connected between themselves.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »

I am not an expert, at all.

I also see nothing wrong here.

I am under the impression that just because something describes some other thing, that doesn't mean that either of those things were correct, correct? Even if they menace with spikes of, well they are clearly menacing. But a third thing or a first thing, well... c'mon. You can't tell a bloke to clear a channel without micro-managing, and you want him to count?

I see where you are going, with the layer three thing. 

I still think it is all normal. Not normal to humans, but if you embrace the logic of a dwarf, you will see that there is nothing to see here. 3 = 1 = 2-7 = i hurt myself = 42. Clear? Good stuff.

I rate this "D" for dorfy.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

I bet you are in the third cavern layer, adamantine veins rarely go more shallow than the third cavern.  You probably just missed the first two caverns on your way down.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

I bet you are in the third cavern layer, adamantine veins rarely go more shallow than the third cavern.  You probably just missed the first two caverns on your way down.
If you make a custom world and set it to have only one cavern level then the caverns are treated as level 3. So that might solve this one...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:47:55 pm »

If you have a candy vein, you're probably on the lowest cavern level, which is where those things are. What's your depth? (Number on the right side of the screen, as in z-levels.)

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:22:13 pm »

Level is 106... I'm pretty sure that's not too deep.
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:44:10 pm »

-106 from the top, or 106 at the bottom?

If it's -106 from the surface, that's really deep. Probably not layer 1.

If it's level 106 from the bottom, that may or may not be deep, depending on where the surface is.

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 09:47:56 pm »

That's what the layer number says at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I embarked on a volcano, so the surface is 142.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:14 pm »

So in the top right it says 36, or close? I guess that probably is the first cavern layer. You haven't found any downward passages or anything, have you?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »

Hungry heads are only found on the third cavern layer. So either you generated a world with only one cavern level. Or you missed the other two.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:12:53 am »

Crundles are only found in cavern layers 2-3. It is unlikely that you are in the first cavern.

Alchemical Engineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:58:09 am »

If you're not sure what cavern layer you're on or whether you have a merged layer, the types of trees present in the cavern may give you a better idea.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:15:22 am »

I had a fortress, where all the cavern layers were interconnected. The caves were big and spacious, because I fiddled with the underground cave generation. I started settling on the first cavern level, because I thought it was the safest.

I set up some fortifications and walled off a nice section, built some farms, and built a well that ran into the heart of my fortress, so if some dwarves partying in the central hall got thirsty they could drink without having to leave the party. Eventually, after a few Forgotten Beast attacks, I started getting hungry heads floating about. At first, I thought "cool! I haven't seen these yet" until I read the physical description of one. They sounded terrifying...

I also didn't realise they could fly. So a few times a year, these terrifying creatures would fly up my well, into the heart of my fortress and freak out all my dwarves, crash their parties, and make them drop everything and run away. v_v Items would be strewn about everywhere.

Long story short, make sure you proof your well against flying creatures >_<

Edit: It's not a good idea to let your civvies wander around on any of the cave levels. Random creatures migrate in from all directions. Like giant toads and olms, who are fairly good at killing random civilians.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:23:05 am by Croquantes »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:40 am »

Caverns can be quite safe if you prepare well for it. My current fort I am working on caverns, and to my luck, this segment of the cavern is an island, so I don't have any hostile spawns, aside from anything that might come from the water itself (Which I am in the process of walling off). Still need to build a few wells eventually.
Pages: [1] 2