Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Female dwarves in the military, but without baby shields?  (Read 822 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Female dwarves in the military, but without baby shields?
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:53 pm »

I think it's great that dwarven women can mix it up in combat along with their men.  However, I really wish they wouldn't use their babies as shields :(.  It was funny in the very beginning, but not so much after the umpteenth fort.  Any workarounds that don't involve changing raws?  For instance, will unmarried female dwarves on permanent soldier duty be too busy to court anyone?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Female dwarves in the military, but without baby shields?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:44:07 pm »

No, just bear with it, the kids that make it will usually be combat ready by the time they are twelve--a few scars, some dodge and wrestle exp, and probably at least "is a hardened individual".  Some people wash the babies off the mothers into a nursery.  I don't understand how that works without the kids starving/the mothers spamming you with "seeking infant/infant not accessible"
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »

The simplest solution would be to not assign female dwarves to the military.

Especially as they will, and in the past have, give(n) birth on the battlefield.
*Hugs*

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:55:43 pm »

There are a few solutions that come to mind:
  • In d_init.txt replace set the the baby cap like so: [BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:1000] and you'll get no births.
  • You could also make sure your army is big enough and swap out any mothers until their children are raised.

In forts with births turned on I do as MOM says and avoid assigning females to the military. To aid in this I've messed with the population ratios of the dwarves so that girls are rarer than boys as in Tolkien's works, however, you said you don't want to change raws.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:33:43 pm »

Female dwarriors only get crossbows. Hopefully they don't end up needing to rush into battle.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »

I think dwarves only marry once, so if you have a good female fighter whose husband had a very unfortunate accident she's free to kick ass without a baby sucking alcohol from her breasts.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?