Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: what are the hardest animals to farm?  (Read 4618 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: what are the hardest animals to farm?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 01:25:24 pm »

... I just got a brilliant idea.

What if, when the elven caravan comes around, I check if there is a male and a female in the group. I trap them in a pit with a food stockpile and a well. will it work? will they reproduce?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:48 pm »

IIRC if they're pet exotic you need a dungeon master before they will breed.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

IIRC if they're pet exotic you need a dungeon master before they will breed.

In the current edition those don't show up. just remove the EXOTIC from the [PET_EXOTIC] tag in anything you want to tame is a good fix in mean time though. Though with elves you might need to make sure they are modded in other ways also.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »

It's not just that the dungeon master doesn't show up, but if you somehow mod him to show up he doesn't enable you to tame and breed exotic animals anyway.  So even with a DM you still need to use the no exotics mod to breed exotic animals.

In theory, I could trap some exotic animals in a pit that thye can't escape from, and they will reproduce on their own. Am I correct?

Provided they were animals you could have tamed anyway (that is, they have the [PET] tag) they will breed even if they're wild.  You can use this method to keep and breed wild elephants without worrying about them starving, since only tame animals need to graze.

What if, when the elven caravan comes around, I check if there is a male and a female in the group. I trap them in a pit with a food stockpile and a well. will it work? will they reproduce?

Highly unlikely.  Civilized creatures only reproduce if they're married.  They won't get married on your map, so you somehow have to have a pair of elves that were married in world history and both show up on your map at the same time.  There have been cases of it happening, but it's very, very rare.

If you do manage to get a breeding pair, you don't need to worry about food and water.  Only intelligent creatures belonging to your fortress need to eat and drink.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:38 pm »

Wait, you're telling me we can breed elves if married traders enter my map?  ......  Can berserk / melancholy elf traders give birth also?  If not... is it possible to reduce the elven gestation period to a point where they've actually got a shot at pumping out some mini traders before they go insane?  If so, I am going to enslave the elven race, are elf babies born friendly? 

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »

Wait, you're telling me we can breed elves if married traders enter my map?  ......  Can berserk / melancholy elf traders give birth also?  If not... is it possible to reduce the elven gestation period to a point where they've actually got a shot at pumping out some mini traders before they go insane?  If so, I am going to enslave the elven race, are elf babies born friendly?
now THAT would be dwarfy - an elvish slave race. I would bet that IF they bred, they would be friendly. Unfortunately I highly doubt they'd procreate, and I highly doubt they'd stay sane long enough to be interesting.

Ideally, we'd get a married breeding pair in an elvish ambush, trap them, disarm them and attach them to ropes. If they don't breed btw, at least they'll be interesting - they are immortal, and I don't think they need food or water.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 03:50:09 am »

i'm not totally sure elves need to be married to have kids. attempting to find this out, same with humans. if i can manage to get caravan guards for both races trapped in gcs webbed cage traps right outside the depot. not the easiest thing to manage, those things don't like to shoot their loads when they're needed...

i use the legends of forlorn realms mod, which includes several new races, two traders, three antagonists. the other two traders are also targets to cage guards from and try to breed 'em. i've already got breeding females of the other races, including goblins sitting in different pits. the goblins have already had several babies from ambusher and thief visits. and said babies are friendly. the bog trolls recently gave one birth, and i'm expecting one from a voidwalker soon. sadly, though i've got captured kobolds and lizardmen in pits with nests, they won't use them, even with males of their species about. guess they need to be civ members or actual pets to use the nest boxes, sadly. kinda wanted a kobold farm...

and, if you want elves that won't go insane/berzerk/melancholy, you've either gotta get them to attack you and catch some of those ambush/seigers or mod elves so they have caravan guards (which i'd done). seems combatants don't go crazy like the traders do, so you can catch those and pit 'em and let 'em rot while popping out lots of little ones...

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

and giant moose (mooses? meese? w/e)

Can these things be bred without modding? I don't have an ocean, so I can't get things like sea serpents and whatnot.
The plural of moose is moosen
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:30 am »

AFAIK, any 'intelligent' creature requires to be married to breed.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:09 am »

Ok, using Just Embark I intend to embark on top of an elven settlement (modded to give them human towns etc.) and capture the royal couple of the Elves. The first attempt at genning a world created one where the Queen was married and settled in a Fort and her husband... had died 1 year earlier. Grr. Got nowhere near since then. Will keep you updated. >:D

EDIT: I'm a right idiot. Copied across the world gen info and genned exactly the same world but set it to stop 1 year before he died. Now I just have to embark. Will report back in a bit. :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:37:49 am by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »

How has this thread so far avoided mention of "SEA SERPENTS!"

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75780.0

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 01:50:51 pm »

It hasn't. They were mentioned earlier.

Anyway, a little update, it would seem the Queen's husband almost always instantly goes off scouting somewhere when they marry, so it's sort of failed... I'll see if I can get some way of getting a married couple invading as an ambush shall I? I want to sell Elf Bone Trinkets. XD

Wait... I've got... a better idea now... Splitting to another thread.
Pages: 1 [2]