Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what are the hardest animals to farm?  (Read 4625 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
what are the hardest animals to farm?
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:53:09 am »

I've been feeling cocky lately, and want to challenge myself to do something incredibly dwarfy involving animal farming.

So, what animal is the hardest to breed and farm? I don't want to do any modding, so tell me what animal is the hardest to breed and farm, but is still possible without modding.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

sorro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: what are the hardest animals to farm?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:56:59 am »

Go for elephants!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

Dragons or Rocs I guess. Dragons take about 800 years to grow to their adult size, for Rocs it's 20 years.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:48 am »

Elephants, Dralthas or giraffes if youre talking about pasture animals

Sea serpents and sea monsters and such would also be pretty hard to farm. Maybe even try farming whale sharks. Now that would be impressive
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:11:24 am »

Elephants and rhinos are literally impossible to farm once tamed. Dralthas are technically possible, but there is almost no margin for error. Water buffalo are about the hardest to farm, but I find I can just put each one in a big pasture, they'll be fine. If you're not averse to modding, tanks from My Little Fortress(they can be added separately, though) are a little harder than yaks in terms of food needs, but breed at an alarming rate, five to ten young per litter(They're reptiles, but their grazing needs make live young more sensible), so you need to be fairly organised to keep up with setting up pastures and digging out soil layers to grow fungus, or even just butchering the hatchlings.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:38 am »

Can't he just mod so elephants are able to graze correctly?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:12 am »

Elk Birds are challenging because they're both grazers and egg-layers.  You have to keep the mothers on their nest boxes in order for the eggs to hatch, but they won't eat while sitting on their eggs, so it's a challenge to successfully hatch eggs and not starve the mothers.  It's possible, but the timing is tricky.

Of course, they're [PET_EXOTIC], so you can't breed them at all without at least using the no exotics mod.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

Walruses, or merfolk. There were even threads dedicated to the catching and breeding of these creatures.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 12:03:00 pm »

I've been feeling cocky lately, and want to challenge myself to do something incredibly dwarfy involving animal farming.
well, i don't know if you ever tried planting a dragon, but I imagine they don't like to be put into soil.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

well, i don't know if you ever tried planting a dragon, but I imagine they don't like to be put into soil.
And I suppose chicken farms grow their chickens out of the ground?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:15 pm »

Isn't that what KFC does?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »

Isn't that what KFC does?
I think you might be confusing the term 'cloning' with 'cultivating'.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:02:05 pm by Flandre »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:59:05 pm »

OKay, list of things to attempt farming:

Sasquatches (I have these on my map rarely)

badger people (is this possible?)

badgers (I know this can happen)

and giant moose (mooses? meese? w/e)

Can these things be bred without modding? I don't have an ocean, so I can't get things like sea serpents and whatnot.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:06:20 pm »

Without any modding at all (including the no exotics hack), the following creatures can be bred:

Alpaca, black bears, grizzly bears, chickens, ducks, goose, gunieafowl, peafowl, turkeys, one humped camels, two humped camels, capybara, cats, cavies, cows, dogs, donkeys, elephants, goats, mountain goats, horses, llamas, pandas, pigs, platypus, rabbit, reindeer, sheep, tigermen, water buffalo, and yaks.

Of these elephants are impossible to keep alive when tame, and yaks and water buffalo are difficult.  Pandas are also difficult, since they only eat bamboo.  Tigermen only eat meat, and also need fresh water to drink.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »

I read on the wiki that wild animals will breed, but only if they have the tags that make them tameable, allowing you to farm wild animals as long as you have the capability to tame them.

According to the wiki, the same goes with exotic animals.

In theory, I could trap some exotic animals in a pit that thye can't escape from, and they will reproduce on their own. Am I correct?
Pages: [1] 2