Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Too OCD to get past 40-50 dorfs.  (Read 2751 times)

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Re: Too OCD to get past 40-50 dorfs.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

I had this problem when I first started playing.

The way I managed to work through this was to get more personally attached to my little dorfs.

I individually named the dwarves, spent time really paying attention to each one, and grew attached to them.

When the fortress eventually fell to a dual forgotten beast attack, I was in shock that I had managed to play through a fort that passed by 5 years.

Next time I played I made it to 12 years.

It's all about getting attached and WANTING to see the fort through.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:21 pm »

I started by naming my dwarves, going OCD on all of them. That ended badly.

I refuse to 'prepare carefully' anymore. Come desert or glacier.

I attempt to look at dwarves as fodder, so as not to get too attached to them.

On another note, it turns out that trapper migrant is also a high master armorsmith!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »

Do you use Dwarf Therapist Crekit? If you don't, you should.  Its amazing.  I'm a perfectionist myself (though it shows mostly in fort design), and before I tried DT, I was going nuts beyond belief.. took ages just to figure out what everyone's job was, that I almost didn't get into the game. 

But now.. the Therapist is always behind me, helping me.. talking to me.. what do you mean theres no one there? I'M NOT INSANE!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »

I refuse to 'prepare carefully' anymore. Come desert or glacier.

Yeah... You aren't going to last very long, then...
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:57 pm »

Got lazy newb pack.

I got most of the basics I think. Haven't had a fort long enough to have to deal with any siege problems, but i'm setting up defenses and wutnot.

Iv read just about everything on the wiki and spent a ridiculous amount of time on these forums... Information is my drug I guess.

... I should probably set up at least ONE militia member about now.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »

Here's a thought.

I'm a bit of a nut, in that I'd like a reasonable stable fortress. So I have one. (You can now see why I call myself a nut - I actually think I have a stable fortress. But this fortress now has 260 drunks, so you can see why I am lulled into thinking all is good.)

I also have a region that I play Adventure Mode in, another where I tried/am trying the Cave Challenge, (twice so far, great stuff,) and a few more where I go in and say something like, "Well, let us try this [particularly] bad idea."

I've never save-scummed or whatever. I do keep backups, kinda, just in case. But one of the first things I read here was that losing is fun, and so my semi-OCD self figured it might do well to:

A. Get used to it. (Losing is fun.)
B. Get used to it.
C. Complain to no one. Or everyone that'll listen. Same same.
D. Get over it.
E. Refer to A-D.
F. Post sometimes on the forums.
G. ? ? ?
F. Profit.
7. Learn the alphabet.

This has worked for me. I offer it to others that may find help in my words. 
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »

Here's a thought.

I'm a bit of a nut, in that I'd like a reasonable stable fortress. So I have one. (You can now see why I call myself a nut - I actually think I have a stable fortress. But this fortress now has 260 drunks, so you can see why I am lulled into thinking all is good.)

I also have a region that I play Adventure Mode in, another where I tried/am trying the Cave Challenge, (twice so far, great stuff,) and a few more where I go in and say something like, "Well, let us try this [particularly] bad idea."

I've never save-scummed or whatever. I do keep backups, kinda, just in case. But one of the first things I read here was that losing is fun, and so my semi-OCD self figured it might do well to:

A. Get used to it. (Losing is fun.)
B. Get used to it.
C. Complain to no one. Or everyone that'll listen. Same same.
D. Get over it.
E. Refer to A-D.
F. Post sometimes on the forums.
G. ? ? ?
F. Profit.
7. Learn the alphabet.

This has worked for me. I offer it to others that may find help in my words.

I scum a bit, particularly when prototyping trap systems, etc. Just so I can experiment with things, like trying to capture GCSes or things like that.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 05:04:41 pm »

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 05:26:57 pm »

Well here comes my first test! Well, after learning to ya know.. farm and stuff. A giant ettin with two heads!

What timing! I had just set up a military and was messing with commands, sending my 6 dabbling crossbowdwarfs with wooden bolts after badgers. So I actually know how to get them to move!

Me: "GTFO AND BEHIND PAINSTAKINGLY BUILT FORTIFICATIONS! RAISE THE BRIDGE IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S UNHOLY!"

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 05:52:06 pm »

This is all good, but truth be told I haven't even gotten that far. xD. I just OCD about where to put things, and usually quit about the time I set up the hospital. Its mostly just me being insane... I'll get over it eventually.

I did this when I was learning the game.  I kept restarting to avoid my painful errors of placement and unnecessary loss of dorf.  I finally just deleted everything, re-started with one clean world, and determined to play it through.  It helps to realize your first burrow doesn't have to be part of your permanent fort.  You can move into better-planned stone quarters a few years later, and either close the first section off entirely or keep it as an outpost but with some defensible space between it and your new main section.  (At the expense of travel time though.)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:56 pm »

DF is an inherently messy game. Despite your best laid plans, you're forming a fortress around 'natural' terrain, and you're trying to- in effect- create a living machine that can survive a host of varying unpredictable assaults or circumstances. Furthermore, the peculiar rules of the game dictate certain features of the fortress that may not sit intuitively in your fragile human mind. The fort has not just to be efficient, but aesthetically pleasing and comprehensible.

A fortress is like a digital bonsai tree; albeit one that's grown in radioactive soil and beset by blackfly and aphids. The pleasure of it is not in attaining perfection; if it were, people would buy plastic, symmetrical bonsai trees. The goal is to find pleasure in the balance between the game's rules, yourself, and the form of the fortress as a conceptual unit. There can be no perfect fort, but there can be an optimum pleasure derived from it, as one can derive pleasure from a bonsai meticulously and passionately cared for.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 08:30:49 pm »

This is all good, but truth be told I haven't even gotten that far. xD. I just OCD about where to put things, and usually quit about the time I set up the hospital. Its mostly just me being insane... I'll get over it eventually.

I did this when I was learning the game.  I kept restarting to avoid my painful errors of placement and unnecessary loss of dorf.  I finally just deleted everything, re-started with one clean world, and determined to play it through.  It helps to realize your first burrow doesn't have to be part of your permanent fort.  You can move into better-planned stone quarters a few years later, and either close the first section off entirely or keep it as an outpost but with some defensible space between it and your new main section.  (At the expense of travel time though.)

I make little mini forts whenever I have some mountain side and little outcroppings sticking up, usually overlooking a river. I think it's the German in me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:32:43 pm by BigD145 »

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

I make little mini forts whenever I have some mountain side and little outcroppings sticking up, usually overlooking a river. I think it's the German in me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No water/magma features, no fortress. Nuff said.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »

Well, that ended well.

Militia "We killed the ettin! Now how about make us some armor and weapons?"
Me "with what metal?" (map said it had lots of metal and no flux. It is made entirely of flux, with no metal.)
Migrants "Hey guizsh!"
Goblin hammerman + bowman ambush "Lol we just face rolled that entire militia without one casualty (the bowman got hit once by a lucky shot)"

Srs I don't think its ever year 2 yet, 80 dwarves (now 72 with no militia)

<<Edit>> I think I may have built a giant fortress with awesome defenses. Except the defenses were made with the assumption that they would be garrisoned with archers. AKA : they are useless. My initial trap hallway is nicely placed BEHIND defensive lines, as a backup.

And this map has no metal... So ONE MORE RE-EMBARK.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:18:55 pm by crekit »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:19 am »

I love to embark in desert maps, especially with aquifers. Of course I plan carefully for it, or your setting up for failure.

The map before this however, the desert was haunted. I didn't last more then one season... (Blasted nightwing)
Pages: 1 [2] 3