Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Too OCD to get past 40-50 dorfs.  (Read 2753 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Too OCD to get past 40-50 dorfs.
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

Every time I get anywhere close to far I go OCD on my fortress. I know it will be better next time! (lol) I i'm on at least my 20th fortress... How should one get past this? Other than heavy medication?

More magma doesn't work when I can't get to the magma.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too OCD to get past 40-50 dorfs.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

Edit the init file to make the population cap lower so you only have a maximum of 30 or so dwarves, the dwarves will still have children after you reach 30 dwarves though.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:34 am »

No no, I WANT to have a large fortress. I just get OCD partway through.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:22 am »

You can manually change the child cap as well. I really recommend turning down the pop cap to 7 in the first year. When you do this, about two waves of migrants will pop up before the caravan shows up. Giving you between 21 and 35 dwarves total. Next, when you feel that 45+ bratty little dwarves running around is going to become a problem ("A CHILD DOES AS IT PLEASES! RAGE!"), you can turn your child cap down to about 25%. This will implement dwarfy contraception, allowing for 25% of your fortress to be fertile, and once you have 25% of your population as children, you can stop having to worry about your dwarves not pulling out.

This will allow a much slower rate of growth that you would normally get. For successful fortresses, the rate of immigration is a serious problem. It's completely unmanageable for me too, because I'm very OCD about what order I want to build things in. Bedrooms just aren't high on the priority list, and the population forces me to basically build the legendary dining room first thing, just because my dwarves can't stop breeding even when they are miserable and tantruming.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:58:28 am »

Yeah. Just turn down the child cap. I had my pop cap at 145 and forgot all about child cap. I now have a 203 dwarf fort. with 100 little kids wandering around with most being 6-7 years old. They do nothing but plant and have parties. If they would even haul reliably I wouldnt mind but no, they just eat my food and wander outside the fort for a stroll in the middle of the siege despite every child constantly being assigned to a burrow.

I'm considering changing the age cap to 10 as well but i dont know what this will do to dwarven kids who are already 10 years old.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:22:20 am »

Kids + Magma = Problem solved.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:39:00 am »

This is all good, but truth be told I haven't even gotten that far. xD. I just OCD about where to put things, and usually quit about the time I set up the hospital. Its mostly just me being insane... I'll get over it eventually.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 12:02:04 pm »

This is all good, but truth be told I haven't even gotten that far. xD. I just OCD about where to put things, and usually quit about the time I set up the hospital. Its mostly just me being insane... I'll get over it eventually.

Try making a point of not quitting when you get to that point. If the forts surviving you can use it to practice more. Play it till something kills it.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 12:13:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kill something, it will make you feel better!

(Also thinking of dwarves as a disposable infinite resource(Like wood) helps a lot with obsessing with everything, I had a problem with that before.)
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »

Alright I'm getting on it. NO MORE QUITTING!

Also... Holy crap 14 to 35 dorfs in one migration! I was already having booze problems!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »

Have a dedicated grower/use migrants with a high grower skill only doing planting. Always brew more than you need. I usually end up brewing all my plants in the first year and let them have meat to tide them over till food is more plentiful.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »

There is no "right" way to play Dwarf Fortress. If you enjoy starting a new fort, playing it for a little while, and then abandoning it to build a "better" fort, then go for it! There are many play styles and ways to enjoy the game. :)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »

Bah.  Growing is for chumps.  Plant Gathering is where it's at.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:08 pm »

I do a lot of plant gathering. And clear cutting. I sure love clear cutting.

I have 35 dorfs and six of them are carpenters.

Also, one of my dorfs had a fey mood <wiki was down so I had to wing it when it came to interpreting requests> and made... Zozod, "Pondertunnels", a horse bone battleaxe! My first weapon!
On the item is an image of Pondertunnels the horse bone battleaxe in horse bone. Wut.

<edit> Legendary +1 bone carver!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:40:47 pm by crekit »

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »

You got a self-referencing artifact on your first try? Wow.

That's nice.

EDIT: Your posts sound almost exactly like somebody I know...
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.
Pages: [1] 2 3