Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing problem (spoiler)  (Read 1092 times)

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Crashing problem (spoiler)
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:01 am »

I started this game recently and it has been great except for the few crashes.

My first game crashed once and then I flooded the place and killed any playable performance and started a new one.

Second game crashed when I dug a way to hell and demons killed, burned and destroyed everything and it crashed. I reload and don't dig into hell and few hours later game crashes again.

I'm using latest Lazy Newb Pack. 1st game with mayday tileset and 2nd game with phoebus tileset. My pc specs: intel 2500k, 8GB, GTX580 and win7 64bit. This system is otherwise stable.

I noticed the errorlog has been posted in similar threads so here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this game still unstable? How many years will I have to wait for a stable build?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:55:05 am by svr »

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing problem
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:48 am »

First: Put "(SPOILERS)" In the title if mentioning hell and stuff.

Second: Im not sure DF has ever had a stable build. And i think it never will.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing problem (spoiler)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:01:07 am »

Is there a magic number I can change to make it more stable?

I have enable seasonal autosaving but that happens like once in an hour. It would be great with more frequent autosaves but the saving takes soo long so it would be a pain.

Fallout 3 and NV has this same problem. The games are pretty good but the engine is shit and just keeps crashing no matter what I do. I can't tolerate the crashing even if the game is brilliant.

If there is no definite answer to this problem. I guess I will postpone this game indefinately and check it out again in few years if I get bored.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:31 am »

Are you constantly switching out of the game and into other programs?

Step one I always tell people is to put DF on one CPU core. ctrl+alt+del > processes > right-click set affinity

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:04 am »

Yes, I run it windowed and switch mostly between firefox and dwarftherapist.

I'm also running SoundSense if that matters.

I may try setting affinity. There was a program that did that automatically. Any clues?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:21 pm »

It's not that hard to set affinity. Only a few steps, as outlined by BigD.

As for stability: If you really want a stable version, there's 40d, but even that has issues and crashes. The current version is the most stable of the .31 releases.

Digging into hell tends to kill your game, specifically FPS-wise. Are you sure the game crashed, or was it just unresponsive? If something like water unfreezing happened as the demons were running around, the game would freeze up for several minutes.

Crashes happen fairly frequently, compared to other (non-alpha) games. Keep auto-save and auto-backup on, and you'll minimize the effects of the crashes. I don't know how you're playing that it takes an hour from one season to another, but that's still not much time to lose DF-wise. Crashing can also be viewed as another way to lose: the game has destroyed your save, and thus your fortress, so start another.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »

I'd stick to a medium map at most and keep your embark to 4x4 or less. Core for core your CPU is better than what I run and I often do medium maps with embarks over 4x4 with almost no crashes except maybe saving and alt+tab to something else. I don't compress my saves and rarely get a save that suicides. Only on my Atom do I cut embark size at all.

Just put DF on one core and everything else on another. DF will use all of that core.

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:35 am »

I figured how to automatically set affinity on specific program, now just to test it.

My 2nd game is on small map and even when I dug into hell my fps was still above 30 or 40 I can't remember because I was busy watching the carnage. I do remember that it wasn't laggy like in first game when I caused huge magma flood and had to play below 20 fps.

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:38 am »

Something perhaps important I forgot to say before. I was using print mode 2DASYNC because it was said to give better performance on multicore but could that have been reason for instability? Which one should I be using?

2DASYNC multicore gave me nearly 50 fps
single core about 10 fps less
2D single core same as above
STANDARD single core nearly 50 fps

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:09:51 am »

Are you using TrueType font?
There are no other frequent crashes in the 0.31.25 except the one caused by TrueType font.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

svr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:52 pm »

No.

I played a bit and no problems so far but the crashes don't happen often so it could take a while to be sure.