Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging Channels Under Retracted Bridges  (Read 478 times)

Yonder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging Channels Under Retracted Bridges
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

I wanted to dig out a moatish thing, but in order to do this without eliminating my trading path I built the retracting bridge first. Then I retracted it and assigned the build channel orders. Even with the bridge gone, however, the entire bridge section was undiggable. Instead you have to dig the section, then build the bridge, which is much more disruptive to the area. This bug may be related to the following:

000290 ▪ (0.27.169.32a) [dwarf mode][flows]   dwarves do not drown when standing in a water-filled channel where a raised bridge would lower

000305 ▪ (0.23.125.23a) [dwarf mode][thoughts and preferences]   sleeping on a bridge over a muddy channel results in a "slept in mud" thought

Since they all seem to deal with the bridge's relationship with the ground underneath it. Initially I was thinking that the edges should remain undiggable, but then I realized that would make a ring of undiggable material, still preventing a perfect moat. Maybe retractable bridges could be changed to include a direction so that the right edges would be undiggable, or there could be a bridge cave-in, where if all the edges were dug out the bridge would revert to it's base components (as if it had been deconstructed) and they would all fall to the ground.

Edit: Someone suggested I do a step by step reconstruction of the incident:

1. Order retracting bridge made out of blocks. Bridge is constructed.
2. Attach bridge to lever.
3. Retract bridge.
4. Attempt to designate channels to be dug. Dig designation does to take.
5. Designate channels dug in entire area. The whole block is designated properly except for the bridge.
6. Re-extend bridge to verify that it is taking up exactly the footprint of the undiggable zone.

[ November 23, 2007: Message edited by: Yonder ]