Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridging Over Oceans  (Read 2122 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Bridging Over Oceans
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:37 am »

Have you ever found an epic embark that is simply out of reach for anyone but dwarves? The most common example of this--to clarify what I mean--would be a volcano island. Pressing tab reveals that the region is only in contact with the dwarven civilization, and nobody else. Therefore, you won't get sieges or anything.

Now, I've heard that if an embark is abandoned, it counts as a sort of "bridge" in the same way that a strip of land does. I used the fabulous Just Embark tool in order to test this, and sure enough, after creating a string of 16x2 embarks to get across a lake, I supposedly had contact with the outer world, even though there was a terrifying lake and an entire mountain range in the way.

However, I have not as of yet actually started the embark. I've had quite a bit of summer reading (It's stupid, I know) to catch up on after losing half the assignment due to a fluke with OpenOffice. So I'm wondering, does it actually work? Will I be sieges by invaders as a result of this? Or is the game lying to me? I am asking this because I have never heard of this more than once, and I have never heard of this method succeeding.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridging Over Oceans
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:01 am »

I've heard that it works if you actually build a bridge. Don't know if the embarks themselves will provide the invaders with a way in. Does your embark have any land-based edges? If so, you'll probably get visitors.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:37 am »

This works fine and you need not build anything. I've used similar to get through thin mountain ranges before.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:27:03 am »

I was not aware of abandoned embarks functioning like bridges.

Genius! Something new to add to my book of Dorf.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:38 pm »

Sweet, so it will work. This is inspiring me to eventually go out and build a world with a massive dwarven bridge to join two continents together.

Thanks! Time to get started on my mountainside lair.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »

It indeed works, I've used that before to reach islands. Of course, it's far more dwarfy to build an actual bridge in the spot, but having to wait over 10 minutes when the ocean freezes sometimes isn't worth it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »

This works fine and you need not build anything. I've used similar to get through thin mountain ranges before.
Now I have to start an embark with a large tunnel through a mountain with a small outpost inside it :)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.