Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Secretive mood dorf is dorfing around. AKA help please  (Read 2229 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
Secretive mood dorf is dorfing around. AKA help please
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:04 am »

That is about the only way to describe it. The little bugger isn't doing anything despite me having 1 of every workshop. In fact he hasnt even claimed a workshop. Does anyone have any ideas about whats going on?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Secretive mood dorf is dorfing around. AKA help please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:02 am »

I believe that if he's trying to claim a workshop that requires fuel and there is no fuel, it prevents the claim?  I.e. if he's trying to claim a Metalsmith's Forge, and there's nothing to heat the forge, he can't do the work/can't start the project.  I know that in previous versions, it was possible for a moody dwarf to claim a "flickering" forge (magma-powered forge with not quite enough magma) and then immediately go insane when the forge goes out. 

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:45:57 am »

Maybe it's a furnace? I believe mooded dwarves can claim kilns, and I just had one take a glass furnace.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

JTH

• Bay Watcher
  • Selemat Pagi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:56:05 am »

It might help if you checked his skills. What is his highest item-creation related skill? His highest skill is most likely to be the one responsible for his sudden flip-turn towards insanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:50 am »

Make sure you have built both magma and non-magma version of both workshops.  I've had dwarves in glassmaking strange moods refuse to take magma glass furnaces and insist on a non-magma furnace.  Fuel shouldn't matter, strange moods don't need fuel, although they won't claim a magma-powered furnace with no magma beneath it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:19:47 am »

Does he have access to the 1 of every workshop?

Access may be prevented by a locked door. Burrow restrictions/alerts may also prevent access, although I amm not 100% sure.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:30:04 am »

OK I didn't know about kilns, furnaces, and all that.
Make sure you have built both magma and non-magma version of both workshops.  I've had dwarves in glassmaking strange moods refuse to take magma glass furnaces and insist on a non-magma furnace.  Fuel shouldn't matter, strange moods don't need fuel, although they won't claim a magma-powered furnace with no magma beneath it.
    The dwarf wont start refusing normal versions of a workshop until you have built your first magma powered workshop...I think.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:47 am »

Alright I give up...maybe its bugged or something because I have 1 of every workshop no matter how unlikely it may be and he still hasn't moved.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:35 am »

Double-check that you have one of each of these:

Metalsmith's forge
Craftsdwarf's workshop
Bowyer's workshop
Carpenter's workshop
Clothier's shop
Jeweler's workshop
Glass furnace
Leather works
Mason's workshop
Mechanic's workshop

Also make sure that the workshops are un-forbidden and accessible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:04 am »

could you please post his skills?

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:03 pm »

!!Success!!, He required a bowyer. i had designated one to be built but since my original wood working dorf was killed by a horse (long story) it never got built. Sorry for all the confusion and thanks for all the help...heck I even learned something!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:43:25 pm »

And if there's any justice in the world, you got an artifact bow for your trouble!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »

And if there's any justice in the world, you got an artifact bow for your trouble!
Bows are actually useful in 0.31.xx if you purchase ammunition from caravans - blowguns, however, are utterly useless.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »

Twas a Blowgun :( I am considering making my now legendary bowyer a !!boywer!!

GhostSade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:02 pm »

Twas a Blowgun :( I am considering making my now legendary bowyer a !!boywer!!
For some reason, this made me lol.
I like to approach things with a certain "mix" of insane vs. not insane...I DO have cruelty potential.  Like wanting to feed a bunch of unarmed elven women to a tentacle demon. 
Pages: [1] 2