Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I gotz a Breeding Pair o' Badgers. Now what? >:)  (Read 2751 times)

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I gotz a Breeding Pair o' Badgers. Now what? >:)
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:32 am »

In one of my current forts I have both war badger and war giant badger breeding programs.  War badgers are strong but easily killed.  Giant war badgers have been the most effective war beast I've ever had.  The Giants seem to rage more.  I had a FB sneak past my defenses in the caverns only to be killed by 3 WGBs with no injuries to the 3.  I started with a war dog breeding program too.  I have since relocated any war beasts that aren't in use to my super cage bomb at the front of my fortress.   My dogs and regular badgers are both at the  breeding cap of 50 and my WGBs are around 35.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 04:37:23 pm »

THATS what fortress defense needs! A racoonman civilization! I'm already gonna get visited by the badgermen.. eventually..

Sounds like they would just be a copy-paste-rename from Kobolds, but possibly even cuter.

Wamblermen?

[CREATURE:WAMBLER_FLUFFY][PRONE_TO_RAGE:1]

I wonder if I can get Adamantine-clad fluffy wambler axelords..
What we really need are fluffy wambler men that throw their young to attack.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:00 pm »

THATS what fortress defense needs! A racoonman civilization! I'm already gonna get visited by the badgermen.. eventually..

Sounds like they would just be a copy-paste-rename from Kobolds, but possibly even cuter.

Wamblermen?

Oh god no
NOTHING WILL SURVIVE

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »

how long does it take giant badgers to mature to adults?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »

Wamblermen?

That.. would be awesome.. I might have to look into making that, though I'm still new to the whole modding of creature thing.  Making Badgerdwarves right now.  Half badger.. half dwarf.. with the patience only a drunken badger can have!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:54:19 pm »

In my current fort I thought I would be clever and set up a line of cage traps through a very unusual formation between two mountains - it's like a 2-tile-wide straight chasm down to ground level.  (I call it Armok's Sundering, since it looks like someone took a BFAxe and sliced right through the mountain.)  And because of the layout, to get from one side of the map to the other, you have to either go over the mountain or walk through the Sundering.  (And we all know how goblins like to take the shortest path...)

Well turns out we have BADGERS.  And they like to follow each other.  So what's that mean?  It means I now have cages full of badgers.  Not Giant Badgers, sadly. 

Is this a good thing?  Well sorta.  On one hand they make good goblin fodder.  I modded so they could be War Badgers.  They aren't really any better or worse than war dogs in my experience. 

On the other, they breed like cats and they mature quickly...  Seriously, you will have a badgersplosion on your hands pretty quickly once you get a half dozen or so mature badgers. 

And on the gripping hand, it means a near-continuous supply of reasonably effective front-line defense for your fort as your population booms, gets decimated by ambushes, recovers and booms again, etc etc.

I likes War Badgers person'ly.  I don't even bother caging or chaining them.  I make a pen by the front entrance and assign a dozen or so and they politely stand around waiting for a thief or ambush to try to slip by.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 11:34:08 pm »

how long does it take giant badgers to mature to adults?

It takes a bit over a year.  I'd say between 15 and 18 months as an estimate
Pages: 1 [2]