Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I gotz a Breeding Pair o' Badgers. Now what? >:)  (Read 2759 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
I gotz a Breeding Pair o' Badgers. Now what? >:)
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:48:56 pm »

As the title says.. after reaching an 'agreement' with the elven caravan this year, (an agreement being, we take everything they own, and they're lucky to leave with their lives) and got myself three badgers (two male,  one female) and a black bear.  Breeding program!

I'm thinking getting a dozen or two of them in a cage and use them as a "badger grenade".  What do you guys think?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I gotz a Breeding Pair o' Badgers. Now what? >:)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

Badger bomb sounds great. It's also fun to use badgers in your fortress like dogs - walking around, not doing much, or chaining them up at the entrance. They're decent guards.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:07:23 am »

Ah chaining them up at the entrance is a good idea.  I don't want them to run around as they wish though - if they get pissed off, a child may lose an arm or two.  Plus, it'll lower framerate.

But, as for replacing war dogs.. this I shall do. 

Also, would changing the raws (under creature) to [TRAINABLE] allow them to be trained as war badgers even after this fort's already started?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:04 am »

Yep. Change the raws inside the save and it'll work just fine. I can confirm this, as I have done it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:23:10 am »

Tame badgers don't enrage as easily as their wild counterparts. The FUN involved will be very limited.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:33:06 am »

Tame badgers don't enrage as easily as their wild counterparts. The FUN involved will be very limited.
It doesn't get much more repeatably Fun than sticking a bunch of wild badgers in a pit or cage and using them against invaders. Except maybe with giant badgers. Or honey badgers, but you don't want to try that.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:36:10 am »

Need I remind you all of my ongoing !!Science!! into the functionality of badger pits?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:01 am »

Well, since I got them from the elves, they're already tame.  Nothin' I can do aboot that.  But.. once these two buggers start mating, I can get a whole boat load o' them.  Sadly, the other male (and the bear) were killed in a goblin ambush, as I had them chained up near the entrance to spot thieves.  Now, I'm out of good guard animals.. and i'm NOT letting these two breeders out yet.

And I shall be changing them to [TRAINABLE] now.  I've already done so with turkeys and GCS's.  The turkeys, oddly enough, was because of a succession game I've been apart of, where turkeys were constantly harassing woodcutters and other above-ground people.  So, I made them [TRAINABLE][PRONE TO ENRAGE][NOFEAR][NOPAIN] AND [LIKES FIGHTING].  A few of those tags are wrong here, but I got them right in the raws. 

On another note, a racoon just stole a silver greataxe.  o.O
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:47:46 am by Crustypeanut »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:57 am »

On another note, a racoon just stole a silver greataxe.  o.O

I predict that, some years hence, you shall be revisited by... Racoon The Barbarian!

*Hums a tune to self that is a peculiar mix between the Conan theme and the title music for the late 80s animation "The Raccoons"*

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 01:08:58 am »

THATS what fortress defense needs! A racoonman civilization! I'm already gonna get visited by the badgermen.. eventually..

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 01:10:30 am »

The thing that makes badgers dangerous is their prone to rage tag, which makes them behave quite unlike other wild animals. Most will simply run when they see a dwarf; badgers charge headlong. However, tamed animals (at least war ones) will attack invaders, sot he greatest advantage badgers have is lost when the player uses them.
Just stick with dogs :P

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:40 am »

THATS what fortress defense needs! A racoonman civilization! I'm already gonna get visited by the badgermen.. eventually..

Sounds like they would just be a copy-paste-rename from Kobolds, but possibly even cuter.

Wamblermen?

[CREATURE:WAMBLER_FLUFFY][PRONE_TO_RAGE:1]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:36:34 am by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 02:01:13 am »

Sounds like they would just be a copy-paste-rename from Kobolds, but possibly even cuter.

Wamblermen?

[CREATURE:WAMBLER_FLUFFY][PRONE_TO_RAGE:1]

I wonder if I can get Adamantine-clad fluffy wambler axelords..

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:29:52 am »

The thing that makes badgers dangerous is their prone to rage tag, which makes them behave quite unlike other wild animals. Most will simply run when they see a dwarf; badgers charge headlong. However, tamed animals (at least war ones) will attack invaders, sot he greatest advantage badgers have is lost when the player uses them.
Just stick with dogs :P
If I'm not mistaken, enraged creatures never attempt to flee. They will fight to the bitter end, even when their leg is chopped off.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 04:41:44 am »

Well, the breeding program is slow, but its going.  I've got 5 cubs so far.. I plan on keeping all females safe for now until I have more than enough, while sending all but one of the males out to fight. 
Pages: [1] 2