Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the opposite of soy sauce?  (Read 3603 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
What is the opposite of soy sauce?
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:32 am »

I made this nice-sounding bean spread recipe I found on the internet. It calls for 2 tablespoons of soy sauce as the final ingredient. I tasted it after each addition and it was getting better and better. Then I added the soy sauce and now the whole thing just tastes like a big ol' bowl of soy sauce. I had a look at the bottle and realized that it's the "dark" soy sauce which is apparently super-strong.

So my question is, is there a way to rescue this dip? It was soooo good before I added that damn soy sauce. I tried adding some water and more bread crumbs - a LOT of water and bread crumbs actually, but I can't get rid of that super-salty taste and now all of the other flavors have been drowned out. I feel like maybe something like sour cream might help, it being a bean dip and all, but I'm afraid to touch it anymore. Is there any way to save this stuff? Or will I be flushing a whole bowl of dip down the toilet and searching the flat for something else to eat?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: What is the opposite of soy sauce?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »

I have tasted Marmite and it tastes like awfulness. Also it is not available in my country. In any case, this would be the opposite of what I need. I need something to balance/eliminate some of the soy sauce taste in my dip.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »

Make more dip to dilute the soy sauce already in it?

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »

I have tasted Marmite and it tastes like awfulness. Also it is not available in my country. In any case, this would be the opposite of what I need. I need something to balance/eliminate some of the soy sauce taste in my dip.
I can't stand marmite, but I'm told it's all about what you mix it with.

I guess I can understand, I mean Branston & pickle tastes horrible on it's own, but I loooove branston & pickle and cheese sandwiches nom nom nom.

Mmmm...
Oh right, so maybe you'd like it better when it's mixed with something?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »

Yeah, an amount of sweet should counteract the bitterness...right?

I also read somewhere that potatoes can be used to soak up salt. If you don't mind adding potatoes to your dip.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »

Damn, wish I had some ginger or honey. Would plain sugar help? I have both granulated and powdered.

I could add more beans or potatoes or something, but I feel like I've already probably wasted a lot of beans, it'd take a while to cook up some potatoes, I might just have to let this one go... Figures. I seem to have a talent for screwing up even the simplest of recipes. Always in creative ways though, so I should get points for that, right?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:03 pm »

When in doubt, add cheese and bacon.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »

I'm trying to feed a vegetarian, so that's out. :)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

Well, if you never tried, you would never learn anything.  :)

I think some sugar would help.

@Phmcw: Agreed. But I think Sappho might be a vegetarian, or he's just trying to make a vegetarian dish. *wild hunch*

Ninja edit @Sappho. Totally called it.  :D
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:21:12 pm »

I'm trying to feed a vegetarian, so that's out. :)

Hmmm... tofu? Something with taste to cover the soy sauce... and the fact you drowned the rest in water and bread crumb.

If I were you I'd add sauté tofu to the mix. Or another meat-like thing.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 12:24:17 pm »

My flatmate just came home and I asked him and he made a face and said "more beans," then laughed at me for not figuring this out myself. Then left again to go drinking with his friends before I could ask him if sugar would work.

He's a very good cook. If it's rescueable, he'll rescue it. But I've decided there's already too much dip and I don't want to add a whole second can of beans, even though they are very good beans and have a nice flavor, because there's no way in hell I'm going to eat all this dip myself and I doubt my flatmate will help, he usually refuses to eat my food because it is not very good. I don't want to waste more beans.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »

My flatmate just came home and I asked him and he made a face and said "more beans," then laughed at me for not figuring this out myself. Then left again to go drinking with his friends before I could ask him if sugar would work.

He's a very good cook. If it's rescueable, he'll rescue it. But I've decided there's already too much dip and I don't want to add a whole second can of beans, even though they are very good beans and have a nice flavor, because there's no way in hell I'm going to eat all this dip myself and I doubt my flatmate will help, he usually refuses to eat my food because it is not very good. I don't want to waste more beans.

What do you have at hand?

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 12:32:15 pm »

Use the portion you already made as a rice topping, then act like this is what you meant to do all along.
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.
Pages: [1] 2