Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Toggle Migrants  (Read 3170 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toggle Migrants
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:49:34 pm »

I understand that a fair share of these suggestions mention Migrants in some way, but I think the simplest and most elegant solution would be to give us the power to toggle migrants on and off.  Maybe this could be in the options menu, or even in the Raws ( a simple Migrants: Yes/No to replace the more cumbersome bit with the Pop Cap and wealth handling.)

Another way we could handle it is None vs Partial vs Full:
None means no migrants come to the fortress (perfect for hermit challenges).
Partial could either mean only a few migrants come at a time (no more than 5 per wave, perhaps) or only skilled workers (no peasants), or only nobles...I leave that for discusion.
Full, of course, would be "Come one, come all: we have cake!"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Toggle Migrants
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »

This sounds like a helpful idea.

(ALSO, and Before anybody posts anything about the population limits that can be set in the init file,
I want to point out that this is a different thing. Its a toggle, not a limit, and I think that it would be very helpful to toggle migration off immediately when you preceive your framerate to be getting too low; Additionally, the population caps are bugged anyway, and a simple toggle seems like it would be easier to implement than a perfectly functioning automatic population cap.)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:14:20 pm »

And now I'm modding cake into the game. Thank you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »

There could also be a setting where it does not give you migrants randomly and instead you can request willing volunteers from the mountainhome when the caravan is about.  It would make it so you can have control over when and if migrants come if you want that sort of control.  Being a seperate setting would make it so that it has no effect on anyone who wants to leave it as it is now too.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »

5 items of food to make one?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »

5 items of food to make one?

I don't know if that will work, so it's time for some !!SCIENCE!! Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread. Please, carry on with the migrant toggling.

Just so we're all aware, the only food items that one can make either have 2,3 or 4 components. No more, no less. There, that's done with now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:54:16 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:48:31 am »

Flour + sugar + eggs + milk?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:51 am »

For my dorfs, it'd probably wind up like:

Cat tallow + Goblin Sweetbreads + Prepared Camel Intestines + Yak Cheese.

Delicious cake!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:38:30 am »

Of course if you want to be accurate create a plant called cake then have a reaction that creates said plant using the above mentioned ingredients.

But I digress. *Cat Tallow* cake sounds very dwarvenly

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:37:40 am »

Of course if you want to be accurate create a plant called cake then have a reaction that creates said plant using the above mentioned ingredients.

But I digress. *Cat Tallow* cake sounds very dwarvenly

Wait.. Cake.. Plants?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »

cakes... sounds awesome, but as for turning off migrants, that sounds kind of artificial to me
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »

cakes... sounds awesome, but as for turning off migrants, that sounds kind of artificial to me

So are the population caps, but they're necessary for performance.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

Personally, I can live with the break from reality.  For those who can't, though, there is the option of not using it, which would leave things as they are.  Then, when you suddenly decide to write an epic tale of The Last Dwarf on Earth, or Seven Dwarfs Who Got Stranded on an Island Or Something, etc., you can switch to Migrants: None and let the Fun ensue. :)

ETA: If an in-game justification is needed, of course, we could always hand-wave it as being the fortress's immigration policy.  Maybe migrants have to send in applications or something before they come, and a fortress that's set to None is considered to simply decline all requests.  /shrug.

ETA2: ...And that just gave me another possible idea.  You guys ever played/ heard of a game called Tropico?  One of the buildings you construct is an immigration office which, when fully (and competently) staffed, gives you control over who comes and goes.  If we really prefer realism to metagaming, we could probably make it an in-game function ala Tropico:  Just as the Bookkeeper allows you to know how much stuff you have, the Immigration Official allows you to set the skills/amounts of migrants, and embarking with a Dwarf with points in I.O. would allow you to take care of this from the get-go.  Of course, this would use up skill points that would be otherwise allotted, which could make the Hermit scenario that much harder.  This could be fun, although personally, I think the meta way is easier to deal with.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:27:30 pm by Batgirl1 »

ApolloCVermouth

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Rodopi Zhivkov
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »

This has been suggested before but I think that migrants could easily be made part of a much richer system of interaction with mountain homes--a system based on fealty and tribute that would make your furniture and crafts seem valuable. Want axemen instead of fish dissectors? Pay homage to your civ's leaders by meeting their mandates or delivering gifts. It would be cool to be able to request dwarfs with particular skills and have some arrogant liaison laugh at your pretensions.

Even being noticed by mountain homes beyond the first wave or two of immigrants should depend on you somehow contributing usefully. This would allow players to stay isolated if they want (essentially preventing migration), but the player would need to expend some wealth to make up for battle losses or expand the economy.

Skilled trades could be governed by broader considerations--maybe mountain homes has a well-established military system and can trade good fighters for large amounts of whatever raw materials your civ needs. (sorry if I'm restating the obvious).

There was also a suggestion recently that the voyage to your fortress be an ordeal for the migrants. I really like the idea that your migrants show up bruised and hungry with some kind of military guard more or less intact.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:02:39 am »

I think it would give too much power to the player. This game is supposed to be challenging in my opinion.
Anyway i would like to see fort's population go up wayyyyy slower.
Every migrant should be a gift and you should be thankful for them, not think "oh welcome, you will make good cannon fodder"
Pages: [1] 2 3