Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 550743 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #4830 on: January 26, 2022, 10:21:32 pm »

Not entirely sure this needs solving, but if anybody knows how to stop Chrome For Android from popping over a "View as simplified page", it'd be nice to know.

I do most of my stuff (on Android) via Firefox, which has its own quibbles and oddities and 'fixes/updates' to the UI that I actually think were backwards/perpendicular steps, but right now I'm more annoyed with this particular aspect of Chrome. And if someone thinks they know where this thing's configuration is, I might find a neighbouring setting or three that also solve other niggles.

But if nobody knows... Well, I'm used to suffering. Consider this just a moan for mainly theraputic purposes.

In the options menu (top right of screen), choose "Desktop site" checkbox. It will stop trying to fetch the mobile version of the page.

Sadly, not persistent.

There is also a checkbox under the options menu:

Menu-> settings menu-> accessibility-> simplified view for web pages

Try turning that off?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:27:35 pm by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: January 27, 2022, 08:14:53 am »

In the options menu (top right of screen), choose "Desktop site" checkbox. It will stop trying to fetch the mobile version of the page.

Sadly, not persistent.
Not only not persistent, but from past experience (mama-bear Wikipedia, which I don't edit often, but has a very extensive mobile-specific rebrand that I'd love to turn off) I need to also remove the m-dot from the URL (www.m.wikipedia.org), and then it's likely to 're-mobilise' at various points. And certainly on a fresh visit.

It's an annoying thing that both Chrome and Firefox are attracted to m-sites (despite poking and prodding in the appropriate settings menu). At least one mobile-'optimised' place (not a wiki) presumes a thin portrait view when I visit it on my tablet in wide-landscape orientation and it really does not help. (The non-mobile layout would be basically perfect, menu bars along the top rather than vertically-stacked in-line with the rest of the vertically-stacked content areas, and then the footer which is again all vertical rather than side-to-side. In fact, it's somewhat awkward in thin portrait, but that's a practical issue.)

There is also a checkbox under the options menu:

Menu-> settings menu-> accessibility-> simplified view for web pages

Try turning that off?
There is indeed that checkbox.
"Simplified view for web-pages Offer to show simplified view for pages, when supported"

But it is unchecked already[1], unfortunately. I just checked it, came out of options then went back in to reuncheck it just in case. But doesn't seem to have 'taken' any better.

No, don't mind me. I probably shouldn't have been railing against this issue. It was a moment of weakness that I mentioned it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: January 27, 2022, 03:01:31 pm »

On Windows 10, is there a way to make sure Google Drive can never be installed? I don't use Google Drive for anything, and regularly uninstall it, but it keeps coming back and asking me to log in. I have no idea what keeps installing it.

I don't think that's a Windows 10 thing. Something else is forcing it. Did you install some freeware and not uncheck a box that install google drive?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: January 27, 2022, 03:09:12 pm »

I know it isn't a Win10 thing. But I was hoping there was some sort of blacklist I could add it to.

I have no idea what could be installing it - I've not installed anything significant recently, and always look for checkbooks. My suspicion is that it is related to some other Google product, or else that Drive has some sort of "if this is missing, put it back" registry key to make it "idiot proof".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: January 27, 2022, 04:04:56 pm »

well.... This is totally NOT the correct thing to do... BUT.

You CAN prevent it from reinstalling, using a combination of access control lists in both the windows registry, and in the locations it wants to use in %userdir%/appdata, and %systemdrive%/Program Files

Keep empty keys/folders in those locations with the names the installer wants to use, but deny all access, excepting a specific user you control, 100%.  The installer will try to run, and try to make subkeys/values, and fail. It will try to extract its installation package, and fail.  Basically, it will force the installer to fail.  Repeatedly.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: February 15, 2022, 06:13:58 pm »

Not only not persistent, but from past experience (mama-bear Wikipedia, which I don't edit often, but has a very extensive mobile-specific rebrand that I'd love to turn off) I need to also remove the m-dot from the URL (www.m.wikipedia.org), and then it's likely to 're-mobilise' at various points. And certainly on a fresh visit.
This is annoying even on mobile. I want wikipedia to look like what I know it looks like, damnit.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: February 20, 2022, 02:44:26 pm »

((NVM, the reason, or at least another thing to test if I'd messed up, came to me when I had my head on my pillow... Eventually I decided to give it a go. Leaving the 'question' anyway, see the bottom for the 'answer'.))

(edited as original version was way too verbose... Those who know anything about Perl don't need the waffle, those who don't will just TL;DR; it anyway...)

This is stumping me.

Why does:
Code: [Select]
### Returns any Files Of Interest
sub FilesHere { my ($dir)=@_;
  $dir="." unless $dir;                                        ## Default
INFO "FilesHere: Looking at directory '$dir'";
  opendir(DIR,$dir)      || die "Cannot open dir '$dir':$!\n"; ## Standard opendir
  my @files=readdir(DIR) || die "Cannot read dir '$dir':$!\n"; ## Standard readdir
INFOLIST "FilesHere: Found ".int(@files)." files:",@files;
     @files=readdir(DIR) || die "Cannot read dir '$dir':$!\n"; ## Standard readdir
INFOLIST "FilesHere: Found ".int(@files)." files:",@files;
  close(DIR);                                                  ## Standard closedir
#  my @foi=TrimFiles($dir,@files);                              ## Reduce to requirements
# INFOLIST "FilesHere: FOI=".int(@files)." files:",@files;
##...etc
}

Return the current output:
Code: [Select]
C:\##Current Path##>derip.pl
(i) FilesHere: Looking at directory '.'
(i) FilesHere: Found 1 files:
(i) FilesHere: Found 1 files:

C:\##Current Path##>

As you can see from the second readdir() line (and what its reporting statement does for the ouput), it isn't readdir()ing in full 'give everything' list-context. Though it originally did, with just the first one in there and before I added anything into this sub beyond the close() statement.

It was after I added the (now remmed) lines after the close() that it started returning just one item to the list. I'm sure I didn't change anything else of significance. But I disabled them again to check what I might have done wrong. Once I'd ruled out various other silly errors (somehow passing $dir directly to @files, for example) I added the second readdir()-combo and found that it was indeed reading as if it were a single scalar value, because the second go at it gives "..", as seen. With a third I'd get the first proper file, etc...

I could re-write it as "my $file=readdir(DIR)" (with || die, etc) and loop and push to array. But I don't want to, nor should I need to.

I've obviously done a stupid error, and I think it might be entertaining (and educating) to all of us to find out what. Given I've done this sort of thing hundreds, thousands of times before, so am obviously author-blind to the very very silly error I've made.

((And, the whole "what did I do wrong?" is... it's a precedence issue of the || (or) operator over the = (assign-equals) one. If I use "or", with lower precedence, rather than the "||" version, it works.
Spoiler: Usage waffle (click to show/hide)
))
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:23:37 pm by Starver »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: February 25, 2022, 12:44:45 am »

Anyone know how to disable the Auto-Update function on Steam, so I can play games via steam without the update?

I imagine the Internet has more important things to do tonight than keep my games slightly more updated than yesterday...

Nevermind, once I changed from Sweden to US, the game updated quickly and successfully.

Interesting fact: FIVE download locations for Steam are located in the Ukraine.  I was impressed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: February 28, 2022, 08:13:34 pm »

My laptop’s Wifi card isn’t working. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, disabled the driver, and restarted my laptop, but it still gives me Error 10.

I think it might be a hardware issue, so I dunno how to proceed. I’ve sent a support ticket to the manufacturer.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: March 19, 2022, 04:57:28 am »

Heh this week I sifted through all the laptops i been bringing home... One had a wifi card that didn't work, I slapped another one in there from a broken laptop, and the thing straight up leveraged the wrong drivers and worked the very first second w7 booted...

If you got something old lying around, wifi cards are usually easy to reach.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: March 20, 2022, 08:00:22 pm »

Sry for the double-post but as I mentioned I am restoring laptops, and trying to run serato dj pro I noticed that I needed updates because the software wasnt installing... Did you know they stopped support for W7? Spent a day bruteforcing like an idiot downloaded short of 200 updates from MS archive and kinda got the installer to run but the software performed poorly. I don't think they want us to succeed IIRC it didn't find SP1 by name or numbercode, their search engine didn't lead me to it.

Then today I consulted my old laptop (where serato runs fine) and was able to restitute an update path. I was able to install something like 85% out of 180 updates, I tried to respect the installing order but my old laptop lists them all as fifth october 2017. Must have despaired over some dll, or netframework, or c++ that day... Example of image I used to download by hand, not all of it since resolution of that is giant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now: since I'm going to backup a W7 update repository anyway, I thought it would be good to update it to nearly complete status. This is not an exact science by any means... And I think I heard MS had to roll out a hotfix for their "final patch" anyway lol. But if I had a good 70-80% of the remaining updates from october 2017 to mid 2019, possibly all the way into 2020 and the last patch, going forward I could have a reasonable expectation that any of my systems will run anything W7 shouold be able to run.

If somebody has a Windows 7 ultimate edition x64 system, with normal alphabet (no russian or japanese etc), that was regularly updated, could provide me with an image or a list of the updates from october 5th 2017 onwards, I would be very grateful. It's found in system controls, windows-update, update history in the sidebar, sort by date please.

Of course anybody who wants a .rar file of all the updates will be provided with a link, nobody should spend a day or more typing seven number codes again like I did.
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: March 21, 2022, 12:09:53 am »

To save yourself some headache, consider slipstreaming all your update packages into the installer media itself.

You can use ntlite to directly integrate the update packages directly into the install image, so that 'on a fresh install', they are already installed.

https://www.ntlite.com/

this way, should you ever need/want another win7 box, you dont have to play this game a second time. Your install media will do it all for you, painlessly.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: March 21, 2022, 09:30:35 am »

This looks very neat, better than deploying them manually. Will it be able to tell me the full update path for w7? They say it downloads them,but like does it download them directly from the MS archive as required or di they have their private servers?
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: March 21, 2022, 10:44:28 pm »

From my experience with it, it can interrogate the local winsxs folder and windows update logs/cache, to get a comprehensive list of installed updates (abd their files), then roll them straight into newly created media.

As such, your 'fully updated' win7 box is an ideal system to make that media on. It will pull all the installed updates from the local winsxs structure. All those hundreds of updates, just pulled from the local OS cache.

Never used the purported downloader.

You can use it to integrate AHCI drivers also.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: March 27, 2022, 12:33:57 pm »

Ok since over a year or so, the second best computer in my fleet has been screaming bloody murder when booting, I was never able to find a culprit but today I managed to trigger it in windows too, and it seems to be associated with load. So I opened it up and looked closely.

Spoiler: Is this the culprit? (click to show/hide)

How fucked am I? Do I have any hope of finding the right model and soldering it on without any damages, I'm pretty bad and unequipped at soldering allways burrow my iron.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:37:54 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 350