Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552579 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1650 on: April 17, 2015, 07:24:55 am »

The r9 is no more overkill than the 970 would be. Though what I'm mostly concerned about is the potential beginning of a trend with GTA V, for games with higher VRAM requirements than 3GB.
I only commented on the R9 because most of my experience is with AMD cards. All I know about Nvidia is that my first Nvidia card broke after a few weeks.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 17, 2015, 07:32:10 am »

My first nvidia card broke when I shorted it. My second is still running.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 17, 2015, 07:54:40 am »

I only commented on the R9 because most of my experience is with AMD cards. All I know about Nvidia is that my first Nvidia card broke after a few weeks.
I've heard a lot of horror stories from both sides, if I listened to all of them I'd never get anything done :P But as far as my cards go I think that I'll hold out for the launch of the Rx 300 series, see if prices of the 200s drop by enough to make it worth it. They probably will.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:59:05 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:28 pm »

I've heard a lot of horror stories from both sides, if I listened to all of them I'd never get anything done :P But as far as my cards go I think that I'll hold out for the launch of the Rx 300 series, see if prices of the 200s drop by enough to make it worth it. They probably will.
You should just buy a Titan X, with 10.5 whole gigs of RAM!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:46 pm »

Hi again. I've got a problem, not with my own device, but it's probably related to overheating again (Everyone else is insisting it's not, though).

So my brother owns this LG LED Smart TV (Which is sort of a computer, has all of the parts). When we connect it to power, it powers itself on and displays the giant LG symbol, then goes black, then the indicator light for "Off but receiving power" lights blinks twice, then the whole process repeats. Multiple times. We can power it down by holding the power button on the TV, but any attempt to power it back on are met with the same response as plugging it in.

What I think happened was that the TV overheated and melted the power supply together (which is a common problem among LG smart TVs), which requires us to send it back to LG and get a new one. However, my brother is insisting that it can be fixed in house without calling any techs in, by us, without opening up the TV because "it's obviously not that, <Flabort>, shut up and help look this problem up, get Dad to help".

Edit: And the warranty was up 2 months ago.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:51:03 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 20, 2015, 03:33:30 am »

I would investigate whether it has any built-in diagnostics. That would tell you for sure.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 20, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »

sounds like firmware.

Sometimes these devices can have the firmware updated via a USB device inserted into the port.  see if you can find such a beast, and give that a try.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »

Hello!

Sorry with bothering you with yet one more question about my laptop, but I wanted to get an answer to another "mystery."

Since some days, I hear sometimes a light, small "whizzling", additional to the fans' noise; moreover the units LED is sometimes clignoting, although it could be caused by the fact there is two virtual optical disk drives, among whose one hold a .tmp files*, besides the real one.

* My father installed Encyclopedia Universalis, along the .iso for the confirmation, while reinstalling Windows 7; this could make the computer think one drive is active.

NOTES:

My laptop is a HP EliteBook 6930p, the CPU is a two-cores Intel Core Duo P8400 (32-bits) and the harddisk is a ATA Hitachi HTS54321 SCSI; I received it around the end of the year 2009.

EDIT: Added bit about fans
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:31:57 pm by Azerty »
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 22, 2015, 12:02:54 am »

It's doing--- what?

(sorry, I have no idea what "clignoting" is, and I cant seem to get much from context here.)

Using a virtual drive shouldn't cause much, other than HDD access lights to blink. (the virtual disk stores its data inside a disc image, stored on the hard disk. When the virtual drive is accessed, it reads out of that image file, which is an HDD read. So-- Blinky blinky.)

Now then.

Does the sound come out of the system speakers, or does it come from some specific place underneath the keyboard somewhere?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 22, 2015, 05:25:06 am »

It's doing--- what?

(sorry, I have no idea what "clignoting" is, and I cant seem to get much from context here.)

Using a virtual drive shouldn't cause much, other than HDD access lights to blink. (the virtual disk stores its data inside a disc image, stored on the hard disk. When the virtual drive is accessed, it reads out of that image file, which is an HDD read. So-- Blinky blinky.)

Now then.

Does the sound come out of the system speakers, or does it come from some specific place underneath the keyboard somewhere?

The noise must coming from below the keyboard, since I desactivated the sound on my laptop.

Can this come from the other fans below? I just ran chkdsk without finding any defectuous place on the hard disk.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:48 am »

Laptops normally only have one fan. Other than the fan, they often have two other "spinning" devices, the hard-disk and the optical drive. Other than the speakers, there should be no other sources of noise, so it has to be one of those.

Chkdisk won't necessarily find errors if the hard disk fixes them itself by re-reading or other methods. Chkdisk can only report two kinds of errors: hardware errors the hard-disk admits to, and corrupt filesystem data (which almost never happens now that Windows uses a self-healing filesystem).

Windows these days will automatically run disk maintenance (e.g. defrag) when the pc is idle, which can cause hard-disk noises and a flickering access light when you're not using the computer. In Windows 7, you can see when maintenance is running from the "Action Center" flag in the system tray, or in the action center itself.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 22, 2015, 10:37:13 am »

Laptops normally only have one fan. Other than the fan, they often have two other "spinning" devices, the hard-disk and the optical drive. Other than the speakers, there should be no other sources of noise, so it has to be one of those.

Chkdisk won't necessarily find errors if the hard disk fixes them itself by re-reading or other methods. Chkdisk can only report two kinds of errors: hardware errors the hard-disk admits to, and corrupt filesystem data (which almost never happens now that Windows uses a self-healing filesystem).

Windows these days will automatically run disk maintenance (e.g. defrag) when the pc is idle, which can cause hard-disk noises and a flickering access light when you're not using the computer. In Windows 7, you can see when maintenance is running from the "Action Center" flag in the system tray, or in the action center itself.

Maybe I noticed this noise since last Monday, when I changed the place where I put my laptop from a "filled" furniture to an open office, which could make me more notice this noise, along with the one caused by the secong opening in the bottom.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 23, 2015, 05:05:51 am »

After viewing through perfmon, I found the "System" processes are writing and reading the drive; in the spikes, most of the processes fomes from the Mofilla folder of AppData.

How can I resolve the issue, so as to keep my drive the longer I am able?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 23, 2015, 05:07:34 am »

"Mofilla" or "Mozilla"? Mozilla is Firefox and Thunderbird, if you run either of those then that's your culprit.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 23, 2015, 07:13:51 am »

"Mofilla" or "Mozilla"? Mozilla is Firefox and Thunderbird, if you run either of those then that's your culprit.

It's Mozilla - sorry for the typo.

And how can I reduce the amount of data written to the disk by Firefox?
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 350