Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552430 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1470 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »

Edit: if you only need PATH to propogate to one program (eg a cmd.exe window) you should just be able to restart that one program.

Yeah, that is all I need, but it doesn't seem to happen in windows 8 for some reason.  It works fine to do that in every other version of windows I've used. 

Edit:  Okay, I found a method that seems to work.  Got to alt-ctrl delete and kill all explorer tasks(Annoying, but better than closing all my windows), and then use task manager to run a new instance of explorer. 

Edit2:  Apparently its only the PATH variable that suffers from this.  I was able to change some others just fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:10:43 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 16, 2015, 03:50:52 pm »

I'm back again, as it turns out my previous problem is not fixed after all.
Run windows repair using a windows install disk. Something's clearly hosed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:53:17 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:35 pm »

-snop-

Is it a solid state or a disc drive?

This is actually pretty important. Solid state drives can only handle so many R/W operations before the storage starts to fail.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:05 pm »

-snop-

Is it a solid state or a disc drive?

This is actually pretty important. Solid state drives can only handle so many R/W operations before the storage starts to fail.
It is a disc drive.
I'm back again, as it turns out my previous problem is not fixed after all.
Run windows repair using a windows install disk. Something's clearly hosed.
Would this have any undesirable side effects? Also, what do I do if I can't find a windows install disc?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 17, 2015, 05:27:08 am »

Edit: if you only need PATH to propogate to one program (eg a cmd.exe window) you should just be able to restart that one program.

Yeah, that is all I need, but it doesn't seem to happen in windows 8 for some reason.  It works fine to do that in every other version of windows I've used. 

Edit:  Okay, I found a method that seems to work.  Got to alt-ctrl delete and kill all explorer tasks(Annoying, but better than closing all my windows), and then use task manager to run a new instance of explorer. 

Edit2:  Apparently its only the PATH variable that suffers from this.  I was able to change some others just fine.
End the Explorer process and then restart it using run. It's faster.

E:
AFAIK, those sketchy names are probably legitimate.
Anyway, looks like the bloat is mostly restore points and shadow copies, according to this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1813658/reduce-size-system-volume-information-folder.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:32:42 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1475 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:25 am »

I've got sound woes. To use my MIDI controller, I need to use an ASIO audio driver, which gets rid of latency. It's essential. The problem is, it seems to only allow one program on the computer to use the sound card at a time, so if I'm recording, I can't listen to anything in other programs (no music, no videos, nothing). I really want to be able to play along with music I'm listening to, and I don't have access to a second computer or other media device at the moment. Does anyone know if there's any way to make this work? To be able to play on my MIDI keyboard (which doesn't produce sound on its own, has to go through the computer) AND hear audio in one other program? I don't need audio for the whole system, just Winamp or VLC...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 17, 2015, 11:03:13 am »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1477 on: February 17, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

I'm on my shitty laptop. I had to leave my beautiful new desktop in Prague when I got deported. I probably won't see it again for another 2.5 months. I'm broke and homeless, living on a friend's sofa, so I'm really limited to the hardware I have. I guess there is no other way around this problem... : /

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 17, 2015, 11:46:49 am »

got any cheap USB headphones? those present as a completely different audio device.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1479 on: February 17, 2015, 12:25:19 pm »

Normal headphones only. One cheap headset with microphone, one nice set of big bulky headphones that block out some of the outside noise.

Anyway, it turned out that the "free software" my keyboard came with is essentially a demo, but I didn't find that out until I'd invested several days in learning how to use it, then got a notification window when I tried to add a 5th track that I am limited to 4. That's not nearly enough to do anything I want to do. So now I have to find new software anyway. After spending so much time learning this one, I'm sorely tempted to "obtain" the full version via potentially questionable methods. Turns out it's 500 euros for the full version! I could barely afford the 50 pounds for this keyboard, which I probably wouldn't have bought if it hadn't conned me by claiming to come bundled with fully-functional software... >: /

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 17, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »

AFAIK Windows mainly does updates during shutdown/startup, so it's a good idea to restart your computer every now and then. (I always fully shutdown my computer when I go to bed, and I've never had issues with Windows Update :P)

It's just I've the impression the complete shutdown of the GUI and, indeed, the quasi-bricking of the OS happened after the update, so I've blocked any updates for the time being and I'm using hibernation since Thursday.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 17, 2015, 10:54:36 pm »

E:
AFAIK, those sketchy names are probably legitimate.
Anyway, looks like the bloat is mostly restore points and shadow copies, according to this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1813658/reduce-size-system-volume-information-folder.html
Thanks! This seems to have to have worked! I'll make sure to keep an eye on it, but I do believe my Hard Drive usage is holding steady now.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 18, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »

Since I'm wary about rebooting my computer, I want to know if Yet Another Cleaner has any hazard on my personal data.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 18, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »

Why are you wary about rebooting your PC?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 18, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »

If you're wary about rebooting you probably should get your important stuff backed up anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 350