Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552225 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1335 on: December 14, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »

You can use GPU Boss for quick comparisons. It's useful if you're considering a few cards in a price range.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1336 on: December 14, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »

Well, did clean drivers install and everything seems to be working normally... played DoW2 and Salem for a while with no problems. We shall see what time brings.

Thanks both for answers. I've checked suggested GPUs, HD7770 seem to be out of stock around here, but R7 250X seems quite interesting. Even more so, give nVidia's 750 costs +20€ more. It might not seem that much, but I'm a bit on a short budget.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 14, 2014, 07:01:25 pm »

I find the chart on tomshardware is kind of handy too: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html  The rest of the article is also a decent start to comparing cards at different price levels, but definitely do more research.  And always look at least one price tier higher than your target, and watch for a while to see if you can catch a great sale.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 15, 2014, 03:05:38 am »

Well, did clean drivers install and everything seems to be working normally... played DoW2 and Salem for a while with no problems. We shall see what time brings.

Thanks both for answers. I've checked suggested GPUs, HD7770 seem to be out of stock around here, but R7 250X seems quite interesting. Even more so, give nVidia's 750 costs +20€ more. It might not seem that much, but I'm a bit on a short budget.
IIRC those are literally the same card, the R7 250X is just a rebranded HD7770 (or 7750 or something).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 15, 2014, 05:39:10 am »

IIRC those are literally the same card, the R7 250X is just a rebranded HD7770 (or 7750 or something).
I've checked the specs, this seems to be true! Same architecture, same core count, same clock speed.

It actually happens a fair amount, especially with lower-end cards (below ?50 or ?500 by name) e.g.:
The GeForce GT 730 (128-bit DDR3 version, there are multiple cards with the same name that are actually totally different cards because stupid) is a rebranded GeForce GT 630, which is itself a rebranded GeForce GT 430. The 720 (which doesn't appear to be a rebrand) is actually more powerful than this variant of the 730.
Just to confuse matters the 64-bit DDR3 version of the GeForce GT 730 is actually twice as powerful as the 128-bit version - It's a rebranded Geforce GT 630 rev 2, which is actually a 600-series GPU and not a rebrand of an older one.

*sigh*
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 15, 2014, 12:35:56 pm »

Oh yeah! Another handy tool for finding GPUs you may want is the Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy Chart which roughly compares cards to other cards, so you can get an idea of what you're looking at. It doesn't sort by price at all, just performance. They're also very thorough in their nomenclature, to help you easily recognize that there might be a version of a card with the same name which has GDDR5 RAM instead of DDR3 or something.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 16, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »

So I mentioned wanting a new computer for Christmas to my parents. To help them, I put the contents of the spoiler together and am going to give it to them; it may be too late now, but if I don't get this for Christmas I can make it later.

But I just want someone to check it over to see if it fits my needs, or if I'm unbalancing it too much.

My current computer is kind of roasted, at least the GPU is fried from overheating from overstressing. It wasn't built to handle most games. Of course DF runs fine, but I kind of wanted to play some other games too. And my cooling fan runs CONSTANTLY, and LOUDLY. And it's also a laptop, so not designed for anything intense in the first place.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 17, 2014, 12:23:53 am »

I would mention something about how rarely I've used the terminal in linux mint (also you spelled quite, not quiet in the cooling section ;) ), but otherwise it sounds pretty good. (I haven't checked for compatibility, though)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »

So I initially couldn’t get video from my card (MSI R9 290x) only onboard, got that squared away with a bios setting(Legacy something or other). Moved computer to different area then card is recognized but shows an error in windows (Code 52 shows on onboard also). Apparently I have too many gpu cores(8 on processor and whatever many on card) for windows to manage effectively but there is a fix that is supposed to override it(6xgpu), that has borked my shit to where even the onboard video is jacked up. Can’t display 3d shit or anything complex. Any suggestions?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 18, 2014, 02:25:46 am »

So I initially couldn’t get video from my card (MSI R9 290x) only onboard, got that squared away with a bios setting(Legacy something or other). Moved computer to different area then card is recognized but shows an error in windows (Code 52 shows on onboard also). Apparently I have too many gpu cores(8 on processor and whatever many on card) for windows to manage effectively but there is a fix that is supposed to override it(6xgpu), that has borked my shit to where even the onboard video is jacked up. Can’t display 3d shit or anything complex. Any suggestions?
Well that's not quite accurate, you have far more GPU cores than that. Not sure what this "fix" is. My recommendation would be to disable the onboard graphics altogether, and/or disable hybrid crossfire/dual graphics if your onboard is AMD (same idea).

Edit: the internet seems to think reinstalling your graphics driver will help.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:29:39 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

Did you plug your monitor into your graphics card? Because if you plugged it into the motherboard it'll only use the onboard graphics.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 19, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »

I have received an email that goes like:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:REQUEST
PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
yadda yadda lots of stuff

I determined that this is some stupid outlook thing, but I am stuck now, googling this issue is difficult.
Tried moving the thing into a text file, saving it as ics, but then it says that outlook cannot import file.
Is there an easy way to display it? Id rather not download some obscure programs that are not guaranteed to work anyway.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:28 am »

Best guess is that it's an outlook calandar event, which outlook will recognize in the email

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1348 on: December 23, 2014, 09:00:31 am »

I finally got my new computer! Now I'm faced with the nightmare of making it work properly.

First off, the display looks hideous. I assume this is because, for the moment, I'm having to run the VGA through an HDMI converter, because this computer doesn't come with a VGA port. Well, that's not technically true. There's a VGA port, but it's disabled. I apparently need DVI to use this computer, which is something that was not advertised when I got the machine (it explicitly said that it has a VGA video port). I think the HDMI-VGA adapter reduces the quality of the video output, and I'm stuck with it until I get an adapter for DVI (really would prefer to wait until after Xmas before going back to the electronics store).

Then there's the problem of Windows 8. It is just so hideous. I've already downloaded a 3rd party program to make me a start menu, and am in the process of installing another program that will enable custom themes and make the computer look like Windows 7. Any other tips here are welcome.

The biggest problem, now, is the flashing. Every time the window pops up asking for admin permission to change something on the computer (happening often, of course, since I'm trying to set this thing up), the monitor flashes on and off a few times. No idea what's causing that, but it's really irritating.

Finally, Acer keeps putting icons on my desktop. I keep deleting them, and it just puts them back a few minutes later, even though I'm not touching the programs they lead to. Is it safe to just uninstall all the Acer crap and be done with it? I'm a little nervous, because this machine didn't come with a recovery disc. Or any discs. Nothing. It came with nothing. Just a tower, a single slip of paper that said "plug in the mouse and keyboard, then the power cord, then the monitor, then turn it on," and some styrofoam. Not even a disc with drivers on it. Makes me very nervous. I had this problem with Dell, but I expected better from Acer, especially considering how insanely expensive this machine was.

I didn't realize Windows 8 was so incredibly hideous, not to mention completely different from every other version of Windows ever made. I had heard that it was better, but so far, I'm extremely put off. I don't see any improvements, just a lot of changes for change's sake. I wanted new hardware, but I most certainly did not want my entire system to feel different. I actually liked Windows 7. Vista may have been terrible, but 7 was fine. What on earth is all this crap. Please help.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 23, 2014, 09:07:14 am »

Regarding the flashing, check the uac options, you can set it to not darken the screen which is considered slightly less secure but exists for exactly this kind of reason!

Windows 8 does have a lot of improvements, the new task manager is great. But people cannot get past the stupid start screen and metro apps (great for a 10" touch screen, crap for a >20" non-touch desktop). All of which is fixed in Windows 10 :)

Windows 8 should have the ability to make a restore disk if you want one. Drivers should all be available online, so you should be fine to uninstall any Acer software.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:13:24 am by Thief^ »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 350