Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552186 times)

Recluse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1275 on: November 05, 2014, 02:52:11 pm »

I've been recording videos for my Youtube channel lately. It's been a while since I've recorded one of a particular game and I don't remember what resolution I was using to record said video. Now seeing as I'm on a lower-end computer I record at 480p since that's what my computer can handle, but the video I have from the last time I recorded this particular game has a resolution of 640x480. Sometimes with this game I play it at 1024x768 while other times I play it at 1280x768. My question is does recording at 480p just automatically set the resolution of the video to 640x480 or did one of the two resolutions I am using do that? If so, which resolution caused that to happen? Nevermind, I figured it out by checking Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:57:56 pm by Recluse »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 05, 2014, 11:33:25 pm »

Well that's interesting.

So just a couple of hours ago, YouTube was working perfectly fine for me. But as of few minutes ago, anything YT related (first page, search resault, bookmarked video ANYTHING), crashes my Pale Moon plugin container. I am at a loss here as to what's wrong because in these past hours I didn't even use Pale Moon. And I've updated all the plugins as soon as these troubles began, to no result. AND Firefox works perfectly fine. 

???

edit:
Hmmm, never mind, seems like cold booting the pc did the trick. Sigh, I am sure there is some rational explanation to this, but sometimes some things make me think computers are in fact run by tiny magical creatures and spirits, who follow their own rules which only by coincidence align with the wishes of us mortals. Most of the time.

Every program you run is handled by an elf. Fun fact. Also actually a true fact.
Except emails, which are handled by daemons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 07, 2014, 01:14:21 pm »

Does anyone know how to fix a old Apple imac ( 2007-2009 [not the old white ones]) i was changing out the RAM and after I turned it on it black screened and does not respond to input. I have tried replacing the RAM sticks and resetting the PRAM, but. it still will not work.( I can hear it boot up) I have also tried taking out both RAM sticks and it will beep due to it not having any RAM sticks. Any please let me know if you guys have any advice. ( and yeah I know its not a windows machine, I would get one if I could)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 07, 2014, 10:37:56 pm »

My ram knowledge for Apple only goes back to 2011. My only suggestion is you done bent a pin or some shit. Do you still have the recovery disc?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:51 am »

The only thing I can offer is generic ram advice - make SURE it's in there secure, you should feel/hear the click and the little side clips should be engaged in the cutouts.  Look at it from the side to make sure it's not crooked.  It usually takes quite a lot of force to get it in all the way, like a surprising amount of force.  If the mobo is flexing a lot, put something underneath to brace it, it's possible to crack the traces :(

After you put it in, if it boots run memtest to make sure there's no errors in the ram - google for instructions on how to run it on an imac, it looks like it's not hard to do.

Ground yourself before you touch anything inside the case - usually it's enough to touch a non-painted part of the case.  Whatever you do don't shuffle across the carped in your socks and then shoot sparks at chips on the mobo :D

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 08, 2014, 03:16:09 am »

thanks for the suggestions.

My ram knowledge for Apple only goes back to 2011. My only suggestion is you done bent a pin or some shit. Do you still have the recovery disc?
i might have the disc but i will have to see if it would use a external disc bay. (the one that is built in is dead as well)

as for the RAM sticks i have made sure that it in as far as it would go. sadly it still will not receive input from the keyboard. (I tried to boot it into single user mode)
anyway thanks for the advice, and I am sorry that I kind of ramble in my posts.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 08, 2014, 08:44:18 am »

memtest boots independently of the OS, so it's a good test to isolate RAM problems vs OS/disk/corruption/other problems.

And I have to repeat, 'cause I've done it myself repeatedly, even if you *think* the ram is pushed in as far as it goes, try again pushing harder with something bracing the mobo.  And LOOK at it from the side to make sure it's not crooked, and looks like it's all the way in.  Because it really takes a scary amount of force to get it in there most of the time....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:47:11 am by gimlet »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 14, 2014, 10:22:23 am »

Um... it actually doesn't.

You just have to push the clamps closed.

If you're pushing the clamps closed by pushing just on the ram stick, you're doing it wrong.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »

Depends on the mobo. Some of the ASUS boards I've worked on, the rather generic HP-Aloe board in my current rig, and all of the GIGABYTE and Foxconn boards I've seen have nubs on the insides of the RAM clips, which flip them closed when you press RAM into the slots. Some boards don't do this, though. If you're pushing hard enough to warp the mobo, you're pushing way too damn hard.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 15, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »

So, uh, OBS has stopped playing nicely with my steam games. I can't stream stuff from the game window without the game crashing. This wasn't a problem before today.

What I've tried (and failed) to fix this issue:
reinstalling OBS
rolling back nVidia drivers
reinstalling nVidia drivers
reinstalling nVidia updater software (GeForce Experience)

Any chance someone could lend a hand to troubleshoot this issue?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1285 on: November 16, 2014, 10:48:29 am »

Anyone on here use RaidCall? I'm suddenly getting an error message when trying to log in. "Error 23." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but no go. Now it doesn't give me the error message, it just eternally tries to log me in and never succeeds. "Please wait...."

EDIT: Rolling back my video drivers fixed it. I'm getting awfully tired of doing that. Just a few more weeks until my new computer!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:03:04 am by Sappho »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:01 pm »

Chrome is behaving strangely lately - often, clicking on a link will greet me with a blank white page, as though the browser just decided not to load anything. Refreshing fixes it, but it's annoying as hell. Any idea what's up? There are no error messages or other diagnostics I can think of, so if it's not a known quirk then it's probably unfixable. Windows 7 64-bit, Chrome (and Chrome derivatives through Chromium) is the only browser that seems to be displaying this problem (or else it just has stopped happening in the last hour since I started checking possible problem sources).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 16, 2014, 01:23:40 pm »

So, uh, OBS has stopped playing nicely with my steam games. I can't stream stuff from the game window without the game crashing. This wasn't a problem before today.

What I've tried (and failed) to fix this issue:
reinstalling OBS
rolling back nVidia drivers
reinstalling nVidia drivers
reinstalling nVidia updater software (GeForce Experience)

Any chance someone could lend a hand to troubleshoot this issue?
Hmm, possibly DirectX is being retarded. Check to make sure you are on 9 or 11. I know OBS has issues with me using Mantle on my games. Have you tried doing windowed mode?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »

Hmm, possibly DirectX is being retarded. Check to make sure you are on 9 or 11. I know OBS has issues with me using Mantle on my games. Have you tried doing windowed mode?
I'll check which DirectX I have when I get back later. Windowed mode seems to work, though, it doesn't force the game to crash. Will update later tonight.

EDIT: dxdiag tells me I'm running DirectX 11. Also, windowed mode works, so I might just stick with windowed mode as a workaround for now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:46:13 am by crazysheep »
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1289 on: November 19, 2014, 02:11:05 pm »

Anyone know any good software for dimming the monitor of a laptop? I tried f.lux and it gave me a terrible headache. I gave it two days trying to get used to it, but it only got worse. The headache disappeared immediately the second I turned f.lux off. But my computer's monitor is way too bright even at its lowest setting. Even in the middle of the day with the sun shining, I never go above 50% brightness. At night, even the lowest setting hurts my eyes and leaves after-images on my retinas.

I just want a program that will make the screen darker, not change the color. I've found a few programs that will dim all programs other than the one you're working in, but I need the whole screen to be darker.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 350