Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 350

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 552141 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1200 on: October 06, 2014, 09:59:37 am »

RAM's pretty much the #1 bluescreen culprit. I've even seen ram that passed memtest turn out to be the cause of repeated bluescreens!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:44 am »

Is there a way to tell if it's my video ram or my system ram that's giving bluescreens?

Some of it is shared, though.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:10 am »

Video ram generally gives screen corruption rather than blue-screens. If you're getting blue-screens it's most likely the system ram.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 07, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »

My Windows 8 Acer laptop will register all wifi connections as limited but all other devices connect fine. Wat do?
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 07, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »

Just RMA'd that MoBo I was talking about earlier. I'm not going to bother Radioshack with it. I'm assuming it was DOA for some reason. Everything was plugged in and seated properly. I pushed a little extra hard on the ram to make sure it was in right. I just can't imagine any other reason for it to not work other than some defect in the hardware.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:58 am »

Hey-ho, I'm back with my quest to slowly upgrade my computer! This time, multiple monitors. My graphics card has 1 dual link DVI-I, 1 dual link DVI-D, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort, for plugging displays into. I currently have a relatively crappy no-brand 22" LCD TV as my monitor, which is plugged into the HDMI port. What do I need to do to get 2 displays working? Get a dedicated monitor (as opposed to a TV) and plug it into one of the other slots, or will I have to buy 2 PC monitors and replace the current TV? If so, which outputs do I hook them up to?

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Okay, so I'm looking at getting 2 of these. They come with a DVI-D connection, and after some googling it appears that you can plug a DVI-D into a DVI-I socket and have it work fine, which would allow me to have both monitors plugged in via DVI-D, in theory. Would this work?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:16:23 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 13, 2014, 09:25:03 am »

My computer won't boot due to disk corruption, the disk doesn't register as bootable anymore. Hiren's MiniXP doesn't show any programs due to a bug, and the fucked disk prevents any Linux distro from booting since it can't read sector 0.
E.g. Both the MBR and partition table are fucked.
What do?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23:59 am »

Hey-ho, I'm back with my quest to slowly upgrade my computer! This time, multiple monitors. My graphics card has 1 dual link DVI-I, 1 dual link DVI-D, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort, for plugging displays into. I currently have a relatively crappy no-brand 22" LCD TV as my monitor, which is plugged into the HDMI port. What do I need to do to get 2 displays working? Get a dedicated monitor (as opposed to a TV) and plug it into one of the other slots, or will I have to buy 2 PC monitors and replace the current TV? If so, which outputs do I hook them up to?

Thanks again :)
You can use any monitor with any other monitor, there are no conflicts possible. For the outputs, there are adapters that convert pretty much everything to everything else, and you can use any combination of outlets from your graphics card.

My computer won't boot due to disk corruption, the disk doesn't register as bootable anymore. Hiren's MiniXP doesn't show any programs due to a bug, and the fucked disk prevents any Linux distro from booting since it can't read sector 0.
What do?
Replace the disk with a new one, install a fresh OS on the new disk, then reinstall your old disk alongside the new disk and transfer all your important data to the new disk. Should work, I've seen it work before. If it somehow doesn't, you need a professional disk recovery service.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 13, 2014, 11:06:00 am »

You can use any monitor with any other monitor, there are no conflicts possible. For the outputs, there are adapters that convert pretty much everything to everything else, and you can use any combination of outlets from your graphics card.

Oh sweet, in that case I'll just get one for now and use it with my current TV. Thanks! :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:04 am »

One thing to be aware of is that a lot of TVs, for some reason, are limited to the very low 1024x768 resolution on their "PC Input" port (despite even VGA being able to handle much higher), so it's a good idea to never use more than one TV as a monitor, and always hook up the one TV via HDMI.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 13, 2014, 11:15:40 am »

One thing to be aware of is that a lot of TVs, for some reason, are limited to the very low 1024x768 resolution on their "PC Input" port (despite even VGA being able to handle much higher), so it's a good idea to never use more than one TV as a monitor, and always hook up the one TV via HDMI.

My TV is hooked up by HDMI, and has a native resolution (according to Windows) of 1660x900. Would this be ok to dual screen with?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 13, 2014, 11:26:28 am »

What do?
Replace the disk with a new one, install a fresh OS on the new disk, then reinstall your old disk alongside the new disk and transfer all your important data to the new disk. Should work, I've seen it work before. If it somehow doesn't, you need a professional disk recovery service.
Any chance to recover the disk itself or is it fucked? This computer is a laptop. It does have two HD slots, however.

And any flavor of Linux (tested so far: puppy, parted Magic, Debian) refuses to boot on a livecd (well, USB) with this disk in, so I'm not so sure if I'd have much luck if it was running from another disk rather than a flash drive, so I'm not sure if it's going to be easy to recover the data...

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:13 am »

My TV is hooked up by HDMI, and has a native resolution (according to Windows) of 1660x900. Would this be ok to dual screen with?

Of course. What I was meaning was that a lot of TVs have a port labled "PC", which is usually limited to a very low resolution, and should never be used. In other words, use your DVI port for your second monitor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:42 am »

What do?
Any chance to recover the disk itself or is it fucked? This computer is a laptop. It does have two HD slots, however.

And any flavor of Linux (tested so far: puppy, parted Magic, Debian) refuses to boot on a livecd (well, USB) with this disk in, so I'm not so sure if I'd have much luck if it was running from another disk rather than a flash drive, so I'm not sure if it's going to be easy to recover the data...

are you sure you are booting the usb and not the hdd? what does the pc say when you try to boot usb?
there is no real way that corrupted HDD MBR prevents use of USB booting. I have successfully booted linux from usb on pcs that didn't even have HDD.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 13, 2014, 11:56:25 am »

The USB starts fine, but when I actually start booting into Linux it gives errors about not being able to read the first sector of the HDD. Debian eventually "booted" but didn't really start properly and gave a glitchy lightshow before effectively bluescreening. (not real kernel panic, just a message telling me that an error occurred and that the system can't recover) Puppy booted, but couldn't start tty because job control was off or w/e. Then it gave me a prompt that seemed only able to use cd and ls.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 350